1. , . Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): arguably the most common endocrinopathy is associated with significant morbidity in women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999; 84: 1897–9.
2. , Amenorrhea associated with polycystic ovaries. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1935; 29: 181–91.
3. , , , , . Health care-related economic burden of the polycystic ovary syndrome during the reproductive life span. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 4650–8.
4. , . Diagnostic criteria for polycystic ovary syndrome: toward a rational approach. In: , , , , eds., Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Boston, MA: Blackwell Scientific, 1992, pp. 377–84.
5. . Controversy in clinical endocrinology: diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome: the Rotterdam criteria are premature. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 781–5.
6. , , , et al. Position statement: criteria for defining polycystic ovary syndrome as a predominantly hyperandrogenic syndrome: an Androgen Excess Society guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 4237–45.
7. , , , , , Polycystic ovaries are common in women with hyperandrogenic chronic anovulation but do not predict metabolic or reproductive phenotype. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 2571–9.
8. . Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term heath risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Hum Reprod 2004; 19: 41–7.
9. , , , . Ultrasound assessment of the polycystic ovary: international census definitions. Hum Reprod 2003; 9: 505–14.
10. , , , , , . Ultrasound examination of polycystic ovaries: is it worth counting the follicles?Hum Reprod 2003; 18: 598–603.
11. , , . Prevalence of polycystic ovaries in women with anovulation and idiopathic hirsutism. Br Med J. 1986; 293: 355–9.
12. , , , . The diagnosis of polycystic ovaries in women with oligo-amenorrhoea: predictive power of endocrine tests. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1991; 34: 127–31.
13. , , , et al. Characterization of normal and polycystic ovaries using three-dimensional power doppler ultrasonography. J Assist Reprod Genet 2002; 19: 582–90.
14. , , . Three-dimensional ultrasound features of the polycystic ovary and the effect of different phenotypic expressions on these parameters. Hum Reprod 2007; 22: 3116–23.
15. , , , , . Blood flow changes in the intra-ovarian arteries during the peri-ovulatory period–relationship to the time of day. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1996; 7: 135–40.
16. , Polycystic ovary syndrome: clinical and imaging features. Ultrasound Q 2007; 23: 233–8.
17. , , , , , . The excess in 2–5 mm follicles seen at ovarian ultrasonography is tightly associated to the follicular arrest of the polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod 2007; 22: 1562–6.
18. , , . Revisiting the ovarian volume as a diagnostic criterion for polycystic ovaries. Hum Reprod 2005; 20: 2893–8.
19. . Polycystic ovary syndrome variants: Hyperthecosis. In: , , , eds. Reproductive Endocrinology, Surgery and Technology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven, 1996; 1258–69.
20. , , , et al. Ovarian stromal hypertrophy in hyperandrogenic women. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1994; 41: 557–62.
21. , , , , , . A new ultrasound criterion for the diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome: the ovarian stroma/total area ratio. Fertil Steril 2001; 76: 326–31.
22. , , , et al. Ultrasound in polycystic ovary syndrome–the measuring of ovarian stroma and relationship with circulating androgens: results of a multicentric study. Hum Reprod 2007; 22: 2501–8.
23. , , , et al. Is the PCOS diagnosis solved by ESHRE/ASRM 2003 consensus or could it include ultrasound examination of the ovarian stroma?Hum Reprod 2006; 21: 3108–15.
24. , , , , Ovarian stromal echogenicity in women with normal and polycystic ovaries. Hum Reprod 1999; 14: 618–21.
25. , , , , , . Color doppler sonographic analysis of uterine and ovarian artery blood flow in women with PCOS. J Clin Ultrasound 2007; 35: 305–13.