1. . Advanced Trauma Life Support, Student Manual, 9th edition. Chicago, IL: ACS, 2012.
3. The Highway Safety Act of 1966 (P.L. 89–564, 80 Stat. 731).
4. National EMS Scope of Practice Model. DOT HS 810 657, September 2006.
5. , , , et al. Emergency tracheal intubation immediately following traumatic injury: an Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma practice management guideline. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012; 73: S333–40.
6. , , , et al. National variability in out-of-hospital treatment after traumatic injury. Ann Emerg Med 2007; 49: 293–301.
7. , , , et al. Paramedic-administered neuromuscular blockade improves prehospital intubation success in severely head-injured patients. J Trauma 2003; 55: 713–19.
8. , . Endotracheal intubation in the field improves survival in patients with severe head injury. Trauma Research and Education of San Diego. Arch Surg 1997; 132: 592–7.
9. , , , et al. The impact of prehospital endotracheal intubation on outcome in moderate to severe traumatic brain injury. J Trauma 2005; 58: 933–9.
10. , , , et al. Endotracheal intubation in the field does not improve outcome in trauma patients who present without an acutely lethal traumatic brain injury. J Trauma 2003; 54: 307–11.
11. , , , et al. Out-of-hospital endotracheal intubation and outcome after traumatic brain injury. Ann Emerg Med 2004; 44: 439–50.
12. , , , et al. Intubation patterns and outcomes inpatients with computed tomography-verified traumatic brain injury. J Trauma 2011; 71: 1615–19.
13. , , , et al. Effect of out-of-hospital pediatric endotracheal intubation on survival and neurological outcome: a controlled clinical trial. JAMA 2000; 283: 783–90.
14. , . Prehospital emergency trauma care and management. Surg Clin North America 2012; 92: 823–41.
15. , , , et al. Seven hundred fifty-three consecutive deaths in a level I trauma center: the argument for injury prevention. J Trauma 2003; 54 (1): 66–70.
16. , , , et al. Practical use of emergency tourniquets to stop bleeding in major limb trauma. J Trauma 2008; 64 (Suppl 2): S38–49.
17. , , , et al. Survival with emergency tourniquet use to stop bleeding in major limb trauma. Ann Surg 2009; 249: 1–7.
18. . PHTLS: Prehospital Trauma Life Support, 6th edition. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2007.
19. , , , et al. Under-resuscitation of near-lethal uncontrolled hemorrhage: effects on mortality and end-organ function at 72 hours. Shock 2001; 15: 16–23.
20. , , . Fluid resuscitation strategies: a systematic review of animal trials. J Trauma 2003; 55; 571–89.
21. , , , et al. Out-of-hospital hypertonic resuscitation following severe traumatic brain injury: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2010; 304: 1455–64.
22. , , , et al. Out-of-hospital hypertonic resuscitation after traumatic hypovolemic shock: a randomized, placebo controlled trial. Ann Surg 2011; 253: 431–41.
23. , , , et al. Human polymerized hemoglobin for the treatment of hemorrhagic shock when blood is unavailable: the USA multicenter trial. J Am Coll Surg 2009; 208: 1–13.
24. , , , et al. Guidelines for withholding or termination of resuscitation in prehospital traumatic cardiac arrest: joint position paper of the National Association of EMS Physicians and the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. Prehosp Emerg Care 2003: 7; 141–6.
25. , , , et al. Guidelines for field triage of injured patients: recommendations of the National Expert Panel on Field Triage, 2011. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Recomm Rep 2012: 61; 1–20.
26. , , , , . HEMS vs. ground-BLS care in traumatic cardiac arrest. Prehosp Emerg Care 2005; 9: 79.
27. , , , et al. Helicopters and the civilian trauma system: national utilization patterns demonstrate improved outcomes after traumatic injury. J Trauma 2010; 69: 1030–4.
29. , , , . Level I versus level II trauma centers: an outcomes-based assessment. J Trauma 2009; 66: 1321–6.
30. , , , . A standardized rapid sequence intubation protocol facilitates airway management in critically injured patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012; 73: 1401–5.
31. , . Role of the emergency medicine physician in airway management of the trauma patient. J Trauma 2001; 51: 1065–8.
32. , , . The success of emergency endotracheal intubation in trauma patients: a 10-year experience at a major adult trauma referral center. Anesth Analg 2009; 109: 866–72.
33. , , , ; NEAR II Investigators. Emergency airway management: a multi-center report of 8937 emergency department intubations. J Emergency Med 2011; 41: 347–54.
34. , , , et al. Immediate versus delayed fluid resuscitation for hypotensive patients with penetrating torso injuries. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 1105–9.
35. , , . Hypotensive resuscitation during active hemorrhage: impact on in-hospital mortality. J Trauma 2002; 52: 1141–6.
36. , , , et al. Improvements in early mortality and coagulopathy are sustained better in patients with blunt trauma after institution of a massive transfusion protocol in a civilian level I trauma center. J Trauma 2009; 66: 1616–24.
37. , , , et al. Predefined massive transfusion protocols are associated with a reduction in organ failure and post injury complications. J Trauma 2009; 66: 41–9.
38. . Effects of tranexamic acid on death, vascular occlusive events, and blood transfusion in trauma patients with significant haemorrhage (CRASH-2): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2010; 376: 23–32.
39. . The importance of early treatment with tranexamic acid in bleeding trauma patients: an exploratory analysis of the CRASH-2 randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2011; 377: 1096–101.
40. , , , et al. The role of ultrasound in patients with possible penetrating cardiac wounds: a prospective multicenter study. J Trauma 1999; 46: 543–51.
41. , , , et al. Western Trauma Association critical decisions in trauma: resuscitative thoracotomy. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012; 73: 1359–63.
42. , . Computed tomography versus plain radiography to screen for cervical spine injury: a meta-analysis. J Trauma 2005; 58: 902–7.
43. , , , , . Diagnosis of pneumothorax by radiography and ultrasonography. Chest 2011; 140: 859–66.
44. . Clinical policy: procedural sedation and analgesia in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2005; 45: 177–84.
45. , , , et al. The role of secondary brain injury in determining outcome from severe head injury. J Trauma 1993; 34: 216–22.
46. , , , et al. Guidelines for the management of acute cervical spine and spinal cord injuries. Clin Neurosurg 2002; 49: 407–15.
47. , , , et al. Definitive establishment of airway control is critical for optimal outcome in lower cervical spinal cord injury. J Trauma 2008; 65: 1328–32.
48. , , , . Spine and spinal cord trauma. In , , , eds., Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: a Comprehensive Study Guide, 7th edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2011.
49. , , , et al. Validity of a set of clinical criteria to rule out injury to the cervical spine in patients with blunt trauma. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 94–9.
50. , , , et al. The Canadian C-spine rule for radiography in alert and stable trauma patients. JAMA 2001; 286: 1841–6.
51. , , , et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines: Penetrating Neck Trauma. Chicago, IL: Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, 2008.
52. , . Cardiac trauma. In , , , eds., Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: a Comprehensive Study Guide, 7th edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2011.
53. , . Blunt traumatic occult pneumothorax: is observation safe? Results of a prospective, AAST multicenter study. J Trauma 2011; 70: 1019–25.
54. , , , . A prospective comparison of the selective observation and routine exploration methods for penetrating abdominal stab wounds with organ or omentum evisceration. J Trauma 2005; 58: 526–30.
55. , , , et al. Practice Management Guidelines for the Nonoperative Management of Penetrating Abdominal Trauma. Chicago, IL: Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, 2007.
56. , , , et al. Identification of children at very low risk of clinically-important brain injuries after head trauma: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 2009; 374: 1160–70.
57. , , , et al. Pediatric radiation exposure during the initial evaluation for blunt trauma. J Trauma 2011; 70: 724–31.
58. , , , et al. Normal presenting vital signs are unreliable in geriatric blunt trauma victims. J Trauma 2010; 69: 813–18.
59. , , , et al. Mortality factors in geriatric blunt trauma patients. Arch Surg 1994; 129: 448–55.
60. , , , et al. Factors influencing survival of elderly trauma patients. Crit Care Med 1986; 14: 681–6.
61. , , , . Rib fractures in the elderly. J Trauma 2000; 48: 1040–4.
62. , , . Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in late pregnancy. BMJ 1988; 297: 404–5.