4. , , . The weight-bearing shoulder: the impingement syndrome in paraplegics. J Bone Joint Surg 1987; 69: 676–8.
5. , , , et al. Development of the wheelchair user's shoulder pain index (WUSPI). Paraplegia 1995; 33: 290–3.
6. , , and . Wheelchair user's shoulder? Shoulder pain in patients with spinal cord lesions. Scand J Rehabil Med 1979; 11: 29–32.
7. , , , et al. Wheelchair pushrim kinetics: weight and median nerve function. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1999; 80: 910–15.
8. , , , et al. Shoulder imaging abnormalities in individuals with paraplegia. J Rehabil Res Dev 2001; 38: 401–8.
9. , , , et al. Shoulder injury, wheelchair propulsion, and gender. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2003a; 84: 1615–20.
10. , , , et al. SMARTWheels: development and testing of a system for measuring manual wheelchair propulsion dynamics. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 1993; 40: 1320–4.
11. , , , et al. Uncertainty analysis of wheelchair propulsion dynamics. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1997b; 5: 130–9.
12. , , , et al. Frequency analysis of 3-dimensional pushrim forces and moments for manual wheelchair propulsion. Automedica 1998b; 16: 355–65.
13. , , , . 3-D pushrim forces during two speeds of wheelchair propulsion. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1997; 76: 420–6.
14. . Engineering manual and electric powered wheelchairs. Crit Rev Biomed Eng 1999; 27: 27–74.
15. , , , et al. Methods for determining 3-dimensional wheelchair pushrim forces and moments. J Rehabil Res Dev 1997; 34: 162–70.
16. , , , et al. Shoulder and elbow motion during two speeds of wheelchair propulsion: a description using a local coordinate system. Spinal Cord 1998; 36: 418–26.
17. , , , et al. Shoulder kinematics and kinetics during two speeds of wheelchair propulsion. J Rehabil Res Dev 2002; 39: 635–50.
18. , , , et al. Pushrim forces and joint kinetics during wheelchair propulsion. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1996; 77: 856–64,
19. , , , et al. Manual wheelchair pushrim biomechanics and axle position. Arch of Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81: 608–13.
20. , , , et al. Shoulder imaging abnormalities in individuals with paraplegia. J Rehabil Res Develop 2001; 38: 401–8.
21. , , , et al. Propulsion patterns and pushrim biomechanics in manual wheelchair propulsion. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2002; 83: 718–23.
22. , , , et al. Manual wheelchair propulsion patterns on natural surfaces during start-up propulsion. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2009; 90: 1916–23.
23. , , , et al. Kinematic characterization of wheelchair propulsion stroke patterns. J Rehabil Res Dev 1998; 35: 210–18.
24. , , , et al. Effect of an intense wheelchair propulsion task on quantitative ultrasound of shoulder tendons. Phys Med Rehabil 2010; 2: 920–5.
25. , , , et al. Ultrasonographic median nerve changes after a wheelchair sporting event. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2009; 90: 1489–94.
26. , , , et al. Acute biceps tendon changes after wheelchair sports. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2007; 88: 318–85.
27. , , , et al. Reliability of quantitative ultrasound measures of the biceps and supraspinatus tendons. Acad Radiol 2009; 16: 1424–32.
28. , , , et al. Validation of greyscale based quantitative ultrasound in manual wheelchair users. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2010; 89: 390–400.
29. , , , et al. Repeatability of ultrasonographic median nerve measures. Muscle Nerve 2010; 41: 767–73.
30. . Preserving Upper Limb Function in Spinal Cord Injury: A Clinical Practice Guideline for Health-Care Professionals. Washington, DC: Paralyzed Veterans of America, 2005.
31. , . Long term effects of whole-body vibration: a critical survey of the literature. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 1986; 58: 1–26.
32. , , . Wheelchairs and seating: issues and practice. Tech Disabil 1996; 5: 3–16.
33. , , , et al. Investigating neck pain in wheelchair users. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2003; 82: 197–202.
34. , , , et al. User assessment of manual wheelchair ride comfort and ergonomics. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81: 490–4.
35. , , , et al. Analysis of vibrations during manual wheelchair use. Saudi J Disabil Rehabil 1998; 4: 186–91.
36. , , , Boninger ML.Determination of wheelchair dynamic load data for use with finite element analysis. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1996; 4: 161–70.
37. , , . Road loads acting on manual wheelchairs. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 2000; 8: 385–93.
38. , , , et al. Analysis of vibrations induced during wheelchair propulsion. J Rehabil Res Dev 2001; 38: 409–22.
39. , , , et al. Whole-body vibration during manual wheelchair propulsion with selected seat cushions and back supports. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 2003; 11: 311–22.
40. , , , et al. Analysis of whole-body vibrations on manual wheelchair using a hybrid III test dummy. Proc 24th Annu RESNA Conf, Reno, NV, 2001; 346–8.
41. , , , et al. Seat and footrest accelerations in manual wheelchairs with and without suspension. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2003b; 84: 96–102.
42. , , . Analysis of whole body vibrations of suspension manual wheelchairs: utilization of the absorbed power method. Proc 25th Annu RESNA Conf, Minneapolis, MN, 2002; 303–5.
43. , , . Effectiveness of rear suspension in reducing shock exposure to manual wheelchair users during curb descents. Proc 25th Annu RESNA Conf, Minneapolis, MN, 2002; 365–7.
44. , , , et al. Technical perspective: evaluation of selected sidewalk pavement surfaces for vibration experienced by users of manual and powered wheelchairs. J Spinal Cord Med 2004; 27: 468–75.
45. , , , et al. Vibration exposure of individuals using wheelchairs over sidewalk surfaces. Disabil Rehabil 2005; 27: 1443–9.
46. , . Nonfatal wheelchair-related accidents reported to the national electronic injury surveilance system. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1994; 73: 163–7.
47. , . Fatal wheelchair-related accidents in the United States. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1990; 69: 184–90.
48. , , , et al. Wheelchair-related accidents caused by tips and falls among non-institutionalized users of manually propelled wheelchairs in Nova Scotia. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1994; 73: 319–30.
49. , , . Wheelchairs used as motor vehicle seats: seat loading in frontal impact sled testing. Med Eng Phys 2001; 23: 679–85.
50. , , , et al. Preliminary evaluation of wheelchair occupant restraint system usage in motor vehicles. J Rehabil Res Dev 2002; 39: 83–93.
51. , , . Development of transportable wheelchair design criteria using computer crash simulation. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1996; 4: 171–81.
52. , , , et al. Computer simulation and sled test validation of a powerbase wheelchair and occupant subjected to frontal crash conditions. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 1999a; 7: 234–44.
53. , , , , . et al. Testing and evaluation of wheelchair caster assemblies subjected to dynamic crash loading. J Rehabil Res Dev 1999b; 36: 32–41.
54. , , , et al. Braking electric powered wheelchairs: effect of braking method, seatbelt, and legrests. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 79: 1244–9.
55. , , , et al. A video-based analysis of “tips and falls” during electric powered wheelchair driving. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2003; 84: 1797–802.
56. , , . Wheelchairs and seating. Curr Opin Orthop 1996; 7: 82–6.
57. , , , et al. System for the analysis of seat support surfaces using surface shape control and simultaneous measure of applied pressures. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1996b; 4: 103–13.
58. , , , et al. Biomechanical analysis of buttock soft tissue using computer-aided seating system. Int Conf IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1998; 2757–9.
59. , , , et al. A compound sensor for biomechanical analyses of buttock soft tissue in vivo. J Rehabil Res Dev 2000; 37: 433–43.
60. , , , et al. A randomized control trial to evaluate pressure-reducing seat cushion for elderly wheelchair users. Adv Skin Wound Care 2001; 14: 120–9.
61. , , , et al. A randomized clinical trial on preventing pressure ulcers with wheelchair seat cushions. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010; 58: 2308–14.
62. , , , et al. The relationship between pressure ulcer incidence and buttock-seat cushion interface pressure in at-risk elderly wheelchair users. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001; 82: 529–33.
64. , , , et al. Table 57. Health Care Financing Review: Statistical Supplement 1996; 320–1.
65. , , , et al. Strengthening justification for assistive technology with research findings: a case study. RESNA News, Spring 2002; 1.
66. , , , et al. Comparison of fatigue life for three types of manual wheelchairs. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001; 82: 1484–8.
67. , , , et al. Life-cycle analysis of depot versus rehabilitation manual wheelchairs. J Rehabil Res Dev 1996; 33: 45–55.
68. , , , et al. Wheelchair impact response to ISO test pendulum and ISO standard curb. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1994; 2: 240–6.
69. , , . Evaluation of methods for determining rearward static stability of manual wheelchairs. J Rehabil Res Dev 1994; 31: 144–7.
70. , , , et al. Power wheelchair range testing and energy consumption during fatigue testing. J Rehabil Res Dev 1995; 32: 255–63.
71. , , , et al. Evaluation of titanium ultralight manual wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA standards. J Rehabil Res Dev 2008; 45: 1251–68.
72. , . Time to mobilize: 21st annual survey of lightweight-wheelchair manufacturers. Sports ‘N Spokes 2003c; 29: 34–42.
73. , , , et al. Fatigue life of two manual wheelchair cross-brace designs. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1999; 80: 1078–81.
74. , , , et al. Augmentation of the 100 kg ISO wheelchair test dummy to accommodate higher mass. J Rehabil Res Dev 1999; 36: 48–54.
75. , , , et al. Comparison of laboratory and actual fatigue life for three types of manual wheelchairs. In , ed. Proc RESNA 2001 Annu Conf 2001, Reno, NV; Arlington, VA: RESNA Pr, 2001; 352–4.
76. . Wheelchairs: A Guide to Selection and Configuration. New York, NY: Demos Medical Publishers, 1998.
77. , , . An automated process to aid in wheelchair selection. Saudi J Disabil Rehabil 1998; 4: 180–5.
78. , , , et al. Preservation of upper limb function following spinal cord injury: a clinical practice guideline for health-care professionals. J Spinal Cord Med 2005; 28: 434–70.
79. , , , et al. Performance assessment of a pushrim activated power assisted wheelchair. IEEE Trans Control Syst Technol 2002; 10: 121–6.
80. , , . Occupational performance and the transition to powered mobility: a pilot study. Am J Occup Ther 2001; 55: 339–44.
81. , , , et al. Evaluation of a pushrim activated power assisted wheelchair. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001; 82: 702–8.
82. , , , et al. Mechanical Efficiency and User Power reduction with the JWII pushrim activate power assisted wheelchair. Med Eng Phys 2001; 23: 699–705.
83. , , , et al. Range of motion and stroke frequency differences between manual wheelchair propulsion and pushrim activated power assisted wheelchair propulsion. J Spinal Cord Med 2003; 26: 135–40.
84. , , , et al. Comparison between performance with a pushrim-activated power-assisted wheelchair and a manual wheelchair on the wheelchair skills test. Disabil Rehabil 2006; 28: 213–20.
85. . Intelligent control of power wheelchairs. IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 1995; 15: 423–31.
86. , , , et al. Driving characteristics of electric powered wheelchair users: how far, fast, and often do people drive? Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2002; 83: 250–5.
88. , , , et al. Influence of wheelchair front caster wheel on the reverse driving stability. Assist Technol 2003; 15: 98–104.
89. , , , et al. Technical perspectives: use of the independence 3000 IBOT transporter at home and in the community. J Spinal Cord Med 2003; 26: 79–85.
90. , . Modeling of a stair-climbing wheelchair mechanism with high single-step capability. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 2003; 11: 323–32.
91. , , , et al. Design of a wheelchair with legs for people with motor disabilities. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1995; 3: 343–53.
92. , . Dynamic stabilization of rapid hexapedal locomotion. J Exp Biol 2002; 205: 2803–23.
93. . Smart wheelchairs: a literature review. J Rehabil Res Dev 2005; 42: 423–36.
94. , , , et al. The navchair assistive wheelchair navigation system. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1999; 7: 443–51.
95. , , . The Hephaetstus Smart wheelchair system. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 2002; 10: 118–22.
96. , , . Initial results in the development of a guidance system for a powered wheelchair. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng 1996; 4: 143–51.
97. , . Electro-mechanical devices for control of powered wheelchairs. Saudi J Disabil Rehabil 1998; 4: 200–6.
98. , , . Universal control interface for people with disabilities. Saudi J Disabil Rehabil 1998; 4: 207–14.
99. , , and . Adequacy of power wheelchair control interfaces for persons with severe disabilities: a clinical survey. J Rehabil Res Dev 2000; 37: 353–60.
100. , , . Joystick control for powered mobility: current state of technology and future directions. Phys Med Rehabil Clin North Am 2010; 21: 79–86.
101. . Comparative effects of posture on pressure and shear at the body seat interface. J Rehabil Res Dev 1992; 29: 21–31.
102. , , , et al. Comparison of skin perfusion response with alternating and constant pressures in people with spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2010; 91: 1758–64.
103. , , . Load redistribution in variable position wheelchairs in people with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med 2010; 33: 58–64.
104. , , . Sitting comfort and discomfort and the relationships with objective measures. Ergonomics 2003; 46: 985–97.
105. . Towards a better understanding of low back pain: a review of the mechanics of the lumbar disc. Rheumatol Rehabil 1975; 14: 129–43.
106. , , . The effect of postural stress on lower limb blood flow in SCI persons. Proc RESNA 12th Annu Conf, New Orleans, 1989; 77–8.
107. , . Are all pressure ulcers the result of deep tissue injury? A review of the literature. Ostomy Wound Manage 2007; 53: 34–8.
108. , , , et al. Normative values and determinants of physical capacity in individuals with spinal cord injury. J Rehabil Res Dev 2002; 39: 29–39.
109. , , , et al. Does upper-limb muscular demand differ between preferred and nonpreferred sitting pivot transfer directions in individuals with a spinal cord injury? J Rehabil Res Dev 2009; 46: 1099–108.
110. , , , et al. Use of prolonged standing for individuals with spinal cord injuries. Phys Ther 2001; 81: 1392–9.
111. , , , et al. An analysis of working postures of manual wheelchair users in the office environment. J Rehabil Res Dev 1997; 34: 151–61.
112. , , , et al. Technical note: displacement between the seating surface and hybrid test dummy during transitions with a variable configuration wheelchair. J Rehabil Res Dev 2000b; 37: 297–303.
113. , , , et al. Evaluating wheelchair cushions. REHAB Manage 2001; 14: 42–4.
114. , . Case report—comparison of three wheelchair cushions for effectiveness of pressure relief. Am J Occup Ther 2001; 55: 470–5.
115. . Aspects of wheelchair seating comfort. Ergo Manu Wheelchair Prop 1991; 105–11.
116. , , , et al. Postural changes with aging in tetraplegia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 79: 1577–81.