1. , , . Cerebral atherosclerosis in European populations: a preliminary report. Stroke 1973;4:898–903.
2. . World Health Stat Rep 2: 481–509 (No 9) 1969.
3. , , . Cerebrovascular disease. 5. A comparative study of an American and a Norwegian population. World Neurol 1960;1:127–36.
4. , , . Cerebrovascular disease. IV. A study of a Norwegian population. Neurology 1960;10:525–9.
5. , , , , , . Prevalence of asymptomatic intracranial atherosclerosis in high-risk patients. Neurology 2007;68:2035–8.
6. , , , . Race-ethnicity and determinants of intracranial atherosclerotic cerebral infarction. The Northern Manhattan Stroke Study. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1995;26:14–20.
7. , , , , , . Embolism in acute middle cerebral artery stenosis. Neurology 2001;56:497–501.
8. , , , , , . Race and sex differences in the distribution of cerebral atherosclerosis. Stroke 1996;27:1974–80.
9. , , , , . Middle cerebral artery atherosclerosis: histological comparison between plaques associated with and not associated with infarct in a postmortem study. Cerebrovascular diseases (Basel, Switzerland) 2008;25:74–80.
10. , , , , , . Pathology of atherosclerosis and stenting. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 2007;17:285–301, vii.
11. , , , , . Intracranial stenosis in the young patients is a distinct syndrome. A multicenter review. AAN abstract. In American Academy of Neurology. Chicago, IL; 2008.
12. , , . Sickle cell anemia and central nervous system infarction: a neuropathological study. Ann Neurol 1986;20:684–90.
13. , , . Histopathology of the brain vascular network in moyamoya disease. Stroke 1983;14:50–8.
14. , , , et al. Comparison of warfarin and aspirin for symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis. The New England journal of medicine 2005;352:1305–16.
15. , , . Intracranial atherosclerotic disease: Medical, Biomechanical, Imaging, and Flow Dynamic perspective. Journal of Neuroimaging 2008(In press).
16. , , . Cross-sectional area measurements by digital subtraction videodensitometry. Invest Radiol 1986;21:637–44.
17. , , , , . Percutaneous transluminal cerebral angioplasty: serial angiographic follow-up after successful dilatation. Neuroradiology 1997;39:111–16.
18. , , . Cerebral hemodynamic impairment: methods of measurement and association with stroke risk. Neurology 1999;53:251–9.
19. , , , et al. Importance of hemodynamic factors in the prognosis of symptomatic carotid occlusion. Jama 1998;280:1055–60.
20. , , , , , . Effect of chronic middle cerebral artery stenosis on the local cerebral hemodynamics. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1985;16:214–19.
21. , , , et al. Prospective study of symptomatic atherothrombotic intracranial stenoses: the GESICA study. Neurology 2006;66:1187–91.
22. . Pathogenesis of cerebral artery thrombosis in man. Arch Pathol 1967;83:422–8.
23. . Intracranial branch atheromatous disease: a neglected, understudied, and underused concept. Neurology 1989;39:1246–50.
24. , , , , . Atherosclerotic disease of the middle cerebral artery. Stroke 1986;17:1112–20.
25. , , . Race, sex and occlusive cerebrovascular disease: a review. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1986;17:648–55.
26. , , , , , . Intracranial internal carotid artery stenosis. Stroke 1982;13:825–8.
27. , , , , , . Predictors of intracranial carotid artery atherosclerosis. Duration of cigarette smoking and hypertension are more powerful than serum lipid levels. Arch Neurol 1991;48:687–91.
28. , , , . Racial differences in the anterior circulation in cerebrovascular disease. How much can be explained by risk factors? Arch Neurol 1990;47:1080–4.
29. . Cerebral arterial occlusion–remarks on pathology, pathophysiology, and diagnosis. Clini neurosurg 1963;9:88–105.
30. , , . Hypertension and cerebral atherosclerosis. Circulation 1969;39:701–10.
31. , , , et al. Risk factor status and vascular events in patients with symptomatic intracranial stenosis. Neurology 2007;69:2063–8.
32. , , . The role of socioeconomic factors in cerebral atherosclerosis. Stroke 1971;2:378–82.
33. . Results of an international randomized trial. The EC/IC Bypass Study Group. N Engl J med 1985;313:1191–200.
34. , , , et al. The Warfarin-Aspirin Symptomatic Intracranial Disease Study. Neurology 1995;45:1488–93.
35. , . Symptomatic intracranial atherosclerosis: outcome of patients who fail antithrombotic therapy. Neurology 2000;55:490–7.
36. , , , . Natural history of stenosis from intracranial atherosclerosis by serial angiography. Stroke 1998;29:433–8.
37. , , , et al. Stroke-free survival and its determinants in patients with symptomatic vertebrobasilar stenosis: a multicenter study. Neurosurgery 2003;52:1033–9; discussion 9–40.
38. , , , et al. Predictors of ischemic stroke in the territory of a symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis. Circulation 2006;113:555–63.
39. , , . Early risk of recurrence by subtype of ischemic stroke in population-based incidence studies. Neurology 2004;62:569–73.
40. , , , et al. The Stroke Outcomes and Neuroimaging of Intracranial Atherosclerosis (SONIA) trial. Neurology 2007;68:2099–106.
41. , , , et al. Intracranial vascular stenosis and occlusive disease: evaluation with CT angiography, MR angiography, and digital subtraction angiography. Ajnr 2005;26:1012–21.
42. , , , , , . Monitoring of cerebral vasodilatory capacity with transcranial Doppler carbon dioxide inhalation in patients with severe carotid artery disease. Stroke 2003;34:945–9.
43. , , , , . Evaluation of vasomotor reactivity by transcranial Doppler and acetazolamide test before and after extracranial-intracranial bypass in patients with internal carotid artery occlusion. Stroke 1992;23:812–17.
44. , , , . Intravascular ultrasound assessment in carotid interventions. J Endovasc Surg 1996;3:203–10.
45. , , . Intravascular ultrasonography in the evaluation of results of coronary angioplasty and stenting. Curr Opin Cardiol 1999;14:471–9.
46. , , , et al. Intravascular ultrasound imaging of human cerebral arteries. J Neuroimaging 1996;6:71–5.
47. , , , , . Intravascular ultrasound for intracranial angioplasty and stent placement: technical case report. Neurosurgery 2006;59:ONSE481–3; discussion ONSE3.
48. , , , et al. Cilostazol prevents the progression of the symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis: the multicenter double-blind placebo-controlled trial of cilostazol in symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis. Stroke 2005;36:782–6.
49. , , , , , . European Stroke Prevention Study. 2. Dipyridamole and acetylsalicylic acid in the secondary prevention of stroke. J Neurol Sci 1996;143:1–13.
50. , , , , . Aspirin plus dipyridamole versus aspirin alone after cerebral ischaemia of arterial origin (ESPRIT): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2006;367:1665–73.
51. . CAST (Chinese Acute Stroke Trial) Collaborative Group. Lancet 1997;349:1641–9.
52. . International Stroke Trial Collaborative Group. Lancet 1997;349:1569–81.
53. , , . The use of anticoagulant drugs in the treatment of intermittent insufficiency and thrombosis within the basilar arterial system. Trans Ame Neurol Assoc 1955:132–4.
54. , , , , . Relationship between blood pressure and stroke recurrence in patients with intracranial arterial stenosis. Circulation 2007;115:2969–75.
55. , , , et al. Effect of very high-intensity statin therapy on regression of coronary atherosclerosis: the ASTEROID trial. JAMA 2006;295:1556–65.
56. , , , et al. Determinants of arterial wall remodeling during lipid-lowering therapy: serial intravascular ultrasound observations from the Reversal of Atherosclerosis with Aggressive Lipid Lowering Therapy (REVERSAL) trial. Circulation 2006;113:2826–34.
57. , , , et al. High-dose atorvastatin after stroke or transient ischemic attack. The New England journal of medicine 2006;355:549–59.
58. . Microvascular Surgery: St. Louis, MO: Georg Thieme Verlag.
59. , , , , . Bypass surgery for vascular disease of the carotid system. Mayo Clinic Proc 1976;51:677–92.
60. , , , et al. The effect of EC-IC bypass surgery on resting cerebral blood flow and cerebrovascular reserve capacity studied with stable XE-CT and acetazolamide test. Neuroradiology 1991;33:217–22.
61. , , , , . Evaluation of extracranial-intracranial arterial bypass function by using near-infrared spectroscopy. J Neurosurg 2003;99:304–10.
62. , , , , . A new type of extracranial/intracranial bypass for recurrent haemodynamic transient ischaemic attacks. Cerebrovasc Dis (Basel, Switzerland) 1998;8:184–7.
63. , , , , . Excimer laser-assisted high-flow extracranial/intracranial bypass in patients with symptomatic carotid artery occlusion at high risk of recurrent cerebral ischemia: safety and long-term outcome. Stroke 2002;33:2451–8.
64. , , . Flow quantification of the non-occlusive excimer laser-assisted EC-IC bypass. Acta neurochirurgica 2001;143:647–54.
65. , , , et al. Endovascular reconstruction by means of stent placement in symptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis. Neurol Res 2005;27 Suppl 1:S84–8.
66. , . Overview of the 2006 Food and Drug Administration Circulatory System Devices Panel meeting on drug-eluting stent thrombosis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2007;69:1064–74.
67. , , , et al. Clinical and angiographic results of dilatation procedures for symptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic disease. J Neuroimaging 2005;15:240–9.
68. , , , , . Prevention and treatment of thromboembolic and ischemic complications associated with endovascular procedures: Part II–Clinical aspects and recommendations. Neurosurgery 2000;46:1360–75; discussion 75–6.
69. . Stroke 2004;35:1388–92.
70. , , , , , . Outcome of angioplasty for atherosclerotic intracranial stenosis. Stroke 1999;30:1065–9.
71. , , , , , . Angioplasty for intracranial symptomatic vertebrobasilar ischemia. Neurosurgery 2002;51:23–7; discussion 7–9.
72. , , , , . Short-term arteriographic and clinical outcome after cerebral angioplasty and stenting for intracranial vertebrobasilar and carotid atherosclerotic occlusive disease. Am J Neuroradiol 2000;21:249–54.
73. , , , , , . Intracranial angioplasty and stenting: long-term results from a single center. Am J Neuroradiol 2006;27:1882–92.
74. , , , , . Angioplasty and stent placement in intracranial atherosclerotic stenoses and dissections. Am J Neuroradiol 2002;23:430–6.
75. , , , et al. Urgent endovascular revascularization for symptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis. Neurology 2003;61:1729–35.
76. , , , et al. Elective stenting for symptomatic middle cerebral artery stenosis presenting as transient ischaemic deficits or stroke attacks: short term arteriographical and clinical outcome. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004;75:847–51.
77. , , , et al. Stenting of symptomatic M1 stenosis of middle cerebral artery: an initial experience of 40 patients. Stroke 2004;35:1375–80.
78. , , , , , . Recurrent symptomatic high-grade intracranial stenoses: safety and efficacy of undersized stents–initial experience. Radiology 2004;231:45–9.
79. , , , et al. Angioplasty for symptomatic intracranial stenosis: clinical outcome. Stroke 2006;37:1016–20.
80. , , , , , . Apollo stent for symptomatic atherosclerotic intracranial stenosis: study results. Am J Neuroradiol 2007;28:830–4.
81. , , , et al. A novel, self-expanding, nitinol stent in medically refractory intracranial atherosclerotic stenoses: the Wingspan study. Stroke 2007;38:1531–7.
82. , , , , , . A 7-year experience with balloon-mounted coronary stents for the treatment of symptomatic vertebrobasilar intracranial atheromatous disease. Neurosurgery 2007;61:236–42; discussion 42–3.
83. . Endovascular treatment of cerebrovascular diseases and intracranial neoplasms. Lancet 2004;363:804–13.
84. , . Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty for intracranial atherosclerotic lesions: evolution of technique and short-term results. J Neurosurg 1999;91:415–23.
85. , , , , , . [Three months angiographic follow-up after successful percutaneous transluminal angioplasty]. No Shinkei Geka 1993;21:141–6.
86. , . Treatment of intracranial arterial stenosis. Expert Rev neurother 2006;6:1685–94.
87. , , , et al. Endovascular therapy for stenosis of the petrous or cavernous portion of the internal carotid artery: percutaneous transluminal angioplasty compared with stent placement. J Neurosurg 2003;98:491–7.
88. , , , et al. Comparison of elective stenting of severe vs moderate intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis. Neurology 2007;68:420–6.
89. , , , et al. Comparison of primary angioplasty with stent placement for treating symptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic disease: a Multi-center Study. Stroke 2008; 39: 2505–10.
90. . Ten years of advances in neuroendovascular procedures. J Endovasc Ther 2004;11 Suppl 2:II1–4.
91. , , . Overview of therapies for prevention of restenosis after coronary interventions. Pharmacol Ther 2001;92:165–78.
92. . Sirolimus: its discovery, biological properties, and mechanism of action. Transpl Proc 2003;35:7S–14S.
93. . Sirolimus- or paclitaxel-eluting stents to prevent coronary artery restenosis. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2004;5:2209–20.
94. , , . Sirolimus- and taxol-eluting stents differ towards intimal hyperplasia and re-endothelialization. J Invas Cardiol 2005;17:497–502.
95. , , , et al. Early and intermediate-term outcomes with drug-eluting stents in high-risk patients with symptomatic intracranial stenosis. Neurosurgery 2006;59:1044–51; discussion 51.
96. , , , et al. Safety, feasibility, and short-term follow-up of drug-eluting stent placement in the intracranial and extracranial circulation. Stroke 2006;37:2562–6.
97. , , , et al. US multicenter experience with the wingspan stent system for the treatment of intracranial atheromatous disease: periprocedural results. Stroke 2007;38:881–7.
98. , , , et al. The NIH registry on use of the Wingspan stent for symptomatic 70–99% intracranial arterial stenosis. Neurology 2008;70:1518–24.
99. , , , et al. Wingspan in-stent restenosis and thrombosis: incidence, clinical presentation, and management. Neurosurgery 2007;61:644–50; discussion 50–1.
100. , , , , , . Stent-assisted angioplasty of symptomatic intracranial vertebrobasilar artery stenosis: feasibility and follow-up results. Ajnr 2005;26:1381–8.
101. , . The role of antiplatelet therapy in carotid stenting for ischemic stroke prevention. Stroke 2006;37:1572–7.
102. , , , , , . Evaluation of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors in carotid angioplasty and stenting. J Endovasc Ther 2003;10:33–41.
103. , , , et al. Restenosis after percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA): a report from the PTCA Registry of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Am J Cardiol 1984;53:77C–81C.
104. , , , et al. Intracranial angioplasty & stenting for cerebral atherosclerosis: a position statement of the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology, Society of Interventional Radiology, and the American Society of Neuroradiology. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2005;16:1281–5.
105. , , , et al. Recommendations for comprehensive stroke centers: a consensus statement from the Brain Attack Coalition. Stroke 2005;36:1597–616.
106. , , , et al. Guidelines for prevention of stroke in patients with ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Council on Stroke: co-sponsored by the Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention: the American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this guideline. Stroke 2006;37:577–617.
107. , , , , . Concurrent comparison of outcomes of primary angioplasty and of stent placement in high-risk patients with symptomatic intracranial stenosis. Neurosurgery 2008;62:1053–1060; discussion 1060–60.
108. , , , , . Comparison between primary angioplasty and stent placement for symptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic disease: meta-analysis of case series. Neurosurgery 2009;65:1024–33; discussion 1033–4.
109. , , , et al. Consensus conference on intracranial atherosclerotic disease: rationale, methodology, and results. J Neuroimaging 2009;19 Suppl 1:1S–10S.
110. , , Gomez CR, et al. Intracranial atherosclerotic disease: an update. Ann Neurol 2009;66:730–8.