1. , , et al. Parameters affecting the results in a program of artificial insemination with donor sperm. A 12-year retrospective review of more than 1800 cycles. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. 2004; 21(4): 109–118.
2. , , Sperm and oocyte donor selection and management: experience of a 10 year follow-up of more than 2100 candidates. Human Reproduction. 2002; 17(12): 3142–3148.
3. , , et al. Semen donor recruitment in an oocyte donation programme. Human Reproduction. 2006; 21(10): 2482–2485.
4. , , et al. Comparison of polymerase chain reaction-dependent methods for determining the presence of human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus in washed sperm. Fertility and Sterility. 2002; 78(6): 1199–1202.
5. , , . et al. Predictive value of CASA parameters in IUI with frozen donor sperm. International Journal of Andrology. 2008; 32: 498–504.
6. , , . et al. Use of semen quality scores to predict pregnancy rates in couples undergoing intrauterine insemination with donor sperm. Fertility and Sterility. 2004; 82(3): 606–611.
7. The European IVF-Monitoring Programme (EIM) for the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), , , et al. Assisted reproductive technology in Europe, 2002. Results generated from European registers by ESHRE. Human Reproduction. 2006; 21(7): 1680–1697.
8. , , . Analysis of decline in seminal fluid in the Italian population during the past 15 years. Minerva Ginecologica. 1999; 51(6): 223–231.
9. , , et al. Regional differences in waiting time to pregnancy among fertile couples from four European cities. Human Reproduction. 2001; 16(12): 2697–2704.
10. , , et al. Semen quality and sperm functional parameters in fertile Indian men. Andrologia. 2006; 38(1): 20–25.
11. , , et al. Pattern of semen analysis of male partners of infertile couples at the University College Hospital, Ibadan. West African Journal of Medicine 2003; 22(3): 243–245.
12. , , . Interpretation of sperm morphology analysis in gynecological practice for infertility. Expert Reviews in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2006; 1: 7–8.
13. , , . Evaluation of the azoospermic patient. Journal of Urology. 1989; 142(1): 62–65.
14. , , et al. Efficacy of intracytoplasmic sperm injection using testicular spermatozoa. Human Reproduction. 1995; 10(12): 3166–3170.
15. , , et al. Recent concepts in the management of infertility because of non-obstructive azoospermia. Human Reproduction. 1995; 10 Suppl 1: 115–119.
16. , , et al. New indication of testis biopsy for azoospermia: a clinical study in Japanese patients. International Journal of Urology. 1994; 1(2): 177–180.
17. , . Testicular sperm extraction with intracytoplasmic sperm injection is successful for the treatment of nonobstructive azoospermia associated with cryptorchidism. Journal of Urology. 2003; 170(4 Pt 1): 1287–1290.
18. , , et al. Testicular sperm extraction and intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a chance of fertility in nonobstructive azoospermia. Journal of Urology. 1998; 160(6 Pt 1): 2063–2067.
19. , , et al. Histological evaluation of the human testis – approaches to optimizing the clinical value of the assessment: mini review. Human Reproduction. 2007; 22(1): 2–16.
20. , . Ultrastructural defects of acrosome in infertile men. Archives of Andrology. 2004; 50(6): 405–409.
21. , , et al. Morphological abnormalities in the spermatozoa of fertile and infertile men. Molecular Reproduction and Development. 2005; 70(1): 70–81.
22. , , et al. Ultrastructural pathology of the sperm flagellum: association between flagellar pathology and fertility prognosis in severely asthenozoospermic men. Human Reproduction. 1998; 13(9): 2521–2526.
23. , , et al. Recent advances in human sperm pathology. Contraception. 2002; 65(4): 283–287.
24. , . Sperm pathology: a step beyond descriptive morphology. Origin, characterization and fertility potential of abnormal sperm phenotypes in infertile men. Human Reproduction Update. 2003; 9(5): 405–428.
25. , , et al. Indications for intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Human Reproduction. 1998; 13 Suppl 1: 128–133.
26. , A review of ten years experience of ICSI. Human Reproduction Update. 2004; 10(1): 19–28.
27. , , et al. Birth of healthy children after intracytoplasmic sperm injection in two couples with male Kartagener's syndrome. Fertility and Sterility 1998; 70(4): 643–646.
28. , , et al. Pregnancy after ICSI with ejaculated immotile spermatozoa from a patient with immotile cilia syndrome: a case report and review of the literature. Reproductive Biomedicine Online. 2004; 9(6): 659–663.
29. , , et al. Assisted reproduction for infertile patients with 9 + 0 immotile spermatozoa associated with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Human Reproduction. 1999; 14(1): 110–113.
30 , , et al. Successful pregnancy and childbirth after intracytoplasmic sperm injection with calcium ionophore oocyte activation in a globozoospermic patient. Fertility and Sterility. 2008; 90(4): 1202.e1–1202.e5.
31. , , et al. Pregnancies after intracytoplasmic injection of single spermatozoon into an oocyte. Lancet. 1992; 340: 17–18.
32. , , et al. Testicular sperm extraction (TESE) and ICSI in patients with permanent azoospermia after chemotherapy. Human Reproduction. 2003; 18: 1281–1285.
33. , , et al. Testicular sperm extraction and intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a chance of fertility in nonobstructive azoospermia. Journal of Urology. 1998; 160: 2063–2067.
34 . Towards more objectivity in diagnosis and management of male infertility. Results of a World Health Organisation Multicentre Study. International Journal of Andrology. 1987; 7 Suppl.: 1.
35 Germ and somatic cell lineages in the developing gonad. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology. 2000; 163: 3–9.
36 , Is there a clinical future for spermatogonial stem cells?Current Stem Cell Research and Therapy. 2007; 2: 189–195.
37. , Spermatogenesis following male germ-cell transplantation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 1994; 91: 11298–11302.
38. , Germline transmission of donor haplotype following spermatogonial transplantation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 1994; 91: 11303–11307.
39. , , et al. Deriving mouse spermatogonial stem cell lines. Methods in Molecular Biology. 2008; 450: 181–192.
40. , , et al. Preserving the reproductive potential of men and boys with cancer: current concepts and future prospects. Human Reproduction Update. 2004; 10: 525–532.
41. , , et al. Restoration of fertility in infertile mice by transplantation of cryopreserved male germline stem cells. Human Reproduction. 2003; 18: 2660–2667.
42. , , et al. Germline niche transplantation restores fertility in infertile mice. Human Reproduction. 2005; 20: 2376–2382.
43. , , et al. Expansion of murine spermatogonial stem cells through serial transplantation. Biology of Reproduction. 2003; 68: 316–322.
44. , , et al. Isolation of male germ stem cell-like cells from testicular tissue of non-obstructive azoospermic patients and differentiation into haploid male germ cells in vitro. Human Reproduction. 2006; 21: 471–476.
45. , , et al. Derivation of embryonic germ cells and male gametes from embryonic stem cells. Nature. 2004; 427: 148–154.
46. , , et al. In vitro-differentiated embryonic stem cells give rise to male gametes that can generate offspring mice. Developmental Cell. 2006; 11: 125–132.
47. , , et al. Pluripotency of spermatogonial stem cells from adult mouse testis. Nature. 2006; 440: 1199–1203.
48. , , Drug therapy for idiopathic male infertility: rationale versus evidence. Journal of Urology. 2006; 176: 1307–1312.
49. , , et al. Low total normal motile count values are associated with increased sperm disomy and diploidy rates in infertile patients. International Journal of Andrology. 2005; 28: 328–336.
50. , , et al. Incidence of sperm chromosomal abnormalities in a risk population: relationship with sperm quality and ICSI outcome. Human Reproduction. 2001; 16: 2084–2092.
51. , , et al. Screening for AZF deletion in a large series of severely impaired spermatogenesis patients. Journal of Andrology. 2000; 21: 651–655.
52. , , et al. Analysis of chromosomal abnormalities in testicular and epididymal spermatozoa from azoospermic ICSI patients by fluorescence in-situ hybridization. Human Reproduction. 2004; 19(1): 118–123.
53. , Assisted reproduction technology and defects of genomic imprinting. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005; 112(12): 1589–1594.
54. Gamete imprinting: setting epigenetic patterns for the next generation. Reproduction, Fertility and Development. 2006; 18(1–2): 63–69.
55. , Role of sperm chromatin abnormalities and DNA damage in male infertility. Human Reproduction Update. 2003; 9: 331–345.
56. , , et al. Relationship between sperm DNA damage, induced acrosome reaction and viability in ICSI patients. Reproductive Biomedicine Online. 2007; 15: 208–214.
57. , , et al. Utility of the sperm chromatin structure assay as a diagnostic and prognostic tool in the human fertility clinic. Human Reproduction. 1999; 14: 1039–1049.
58. , , et al. Relationship between the outcomes of assisted reproductive techniques and sperm DNA fragmentation as measured by the sperm chromatin structure assay. Fertility and Sterility. 2003; 80: 895–902.
59. , , Sperm chromatin structure assay (SCSA) parameters are related to fertilization, blastocyst development, and ongoing pregnancy in in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles. Fertility and Sterility. 2004; 81: 1289–1295.
60. , , et al. Comparison of chromatin assays for DNA fragmentation evaluation in human sperm. Journal of Andrology. 2006; 27: 53–59.
61. , Meta-analysis of sperm DNA fragmentation using the sperm chromatin structure assay. Reproductive Biomedicine Online. 2006; 12: 466–472.
62. , , et al. Redefining the relationship between sperm deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation as measured by the sperm chromatin structure assay and outcomes of assisted reproductive techniques. Fertility and Sterility. 2005; 84: 356–364.
63 , , et al. Value of the sperm deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation level, as measured by the sperm chromatin dispersion test, in the outcome of in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertility and Sterility. 2006; 85: 371–383.
64. , , et al. Value of the sperm chromatin dispersion test in predicting pregnancy outcome in intrauterine insemination: a blind prospective study. Human Reproduction. 2006; 21(3): 738–744.
65. . The clinical utility of sperm DNA integrity testing. Fertility and Sterility. 2006; 86: S35–S37.
66. , , et al. Pro-oxidative and anti-oxidative imbalance in human semen and its relation with male fertility. Asian Journal of Andrology. 2004; 6: 59–65.
67. , . Oxidative stress and male infertility: from research bench to clinical practice. Journal of Andrology. 2002; 23: 737–752.
68. The Amoroso Lecture. The human spermatozoon – a cell in crisis?Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. 1999; 115: 1–7.
69. , , . Positive role of reactive oxygen species in mammalian sperm capacitation: triggering and modulation of phosphorylation events. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2006; 41: 528–540.
70. , , . Reactive oxygen species modulate independent protein phosphorylation pathways during human sperm capacitation. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2006; 40: 1045–1055.
71. , , . Role of reactive oxygen species in the pathophisiology of human reproduction. Fertility and Sterility. 2003; 79: 829–843.
72. , , et al. Seminal reactive oxygen species and sperm motility and morphology in men with spinal cord injury. Fertility and Sterility. 1997; 67: 1115–1120.
73. , , . Seminal reactive oxygen species as predictors of fertilization, embryo quality and pregnancy rates after conventional in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection. International Journal of Andrology. 2003; 26: 279–285.
74. , , et al. Relationship among standard semen parameters, glutathione peroxidase/glutathione reductase activity, and mRNA expression and reduced glutathione content in ejaculated spermatozoa from fertile and infertile men. Fertility and Sterility. 2004; 82 Suppl 3: 1059–1066.
75. , , et al. Effect of sperm glutathione peroxidases 1 and 4 on embryo asymmetry and blastocyst quality in oocyte donation cycles. Fertility and Sterility. 2006; 86: 1376–1385.
76. , , et al. Effects of magnetic-activated cell sorting on sperm motility and cryosurvival rates. Fertility and Sterility. 2005; 83: 1442–1446.
77. , , et al. Fertilization potential of human sperm is correlated with endogenous platelet-activating factor content. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. 2003; 20: 192–195.
78. , , et al. Sperm maturity and treatment choice of in vitro fertilization (IVF) or intracytoplasmic sperm injection: diminished sperm HspA2 chaperone levels predict IVF failure. Fertility and Sterility. 2002; 77: 910–918.
79. , , . Increased levels of sperm ubiquitin correlate with semen quality in men from an andrology laboratory clinic population. Human Reproduction. 2004; 19: 628–638.
80. , , . Clinical adaptation of the sperm ubuquitin tag immunoassay (SUTI): relationship of sperm ubiquitylation with sperm quality in gradient-purified semen samples from 93 men from a general infertility clinic population. Human Reproduction. 2005; 20: 2271–2278.
81. , , et al. MUC1 in human testis and ejaculated spermatozoa and its relationship to male fertility status. Fertility and Sterility. 2008; 90(2): 450–452.
82. , , , , . Oxygen uptake by mitochondria in demembranated human spermatozoa: a reliable tool for the evaluation of sperm respiratory efficiency. International Journal of Andrology. 2008; 31: 337–345.
83. , , et al. Evaluation of mitochondrial respiratory efficiency during in vitro capacitation of human spermatozoa. International Journal of Andrology. 2011; 34: 247–255.
84. , , Increases in human sperm oxygen consumption at low cell concentrations. Biology of Reproduction. 1985; 32: 865–871.
85. Microarray technology: beyond transcript profiling and genotype analysis. Nature Reviews Genetics. 2006; 7: 200–210.
86. , RNA in spermatozoa: implications for the alternative haploid genome. Molecular Human Reproduction. 1997; 3: 473–478.
87. , , et al. A complex population of RNAs exists in human ejaculate spermatozoa: implications for understanding molecular aspects of spermiogenesis. Gene. 1999; 237: 385–392.
88. , , Inhibition of hsp70–1 and hsp70–3 expression disrupts preimplantation embryogenesis and heightens embryo sensitivity to arsenic. Molecular Reproduction and Development. 1998; 51: 373–380.
89. . Paternal contribution: new insights and future challenges. Nature Reviews Genetics. 2005; 6: 633–642.
90. , , et al. Spermatozoal RNA profiles of normal fertile men. Lancet. 2002; 360: 772–777.
91. , , et al. Microarray analysis of infertile males in absence of abnormal sperm count reveals profound expression changes in spermatogenesis related gene products. Abstracts of the 2nd International IVI Congress, Barcelona (Spain). 2007.
92. , , et al. Spermatogenic and testis related (str) genes “switched on/off” in fresh sperm from fertile donors vs. infertile patients. Abstracts of the 33rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Alburquerque (USA). 2007.
93. , , et al. Proteomic identification of human sperm proteins. Proteomics. 2006; 6: 4356–4369.
94. , Large-scale and high-confidence proteomic analysis of human seminal plasma. Genome Biology. 2006; 7: R40.
95. , , et al. Sperm proteome mapping of a patient who experienced failed fertilization at IVF reveals altered expression of at least 20 proteins compared with fertile donors: case report. Human Reproduction. 2004; 19: 1438–1447.
96. , Dynamics of the mammalian sperm plasma membrane in the process of fertilization. Biochimica Biophysica Acta. 2000; 1469: 197–235.
97. , , et al. Lipid rafts: keys to sperm maturation, fertilization, and early embryogenesis. Journal of Lipids. 2011; 264706.
98. , Lipids in the sperm plasma membrane and their role in fertilization. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2009; 15: 651–655.