1. Circadian rhythms in man. Science, 1965; 148:1427–32.
2. The Circadian System of Man: Results of Experiments Under Temporal Isolation. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 1979.
3. , , The dependence of onset and duration of sleep on the circadian rhythm of rectal temperature. Pflugers Arch, 1981; 391:314–18.
4. , , , et al. Distribution of REM sleep in entrained 24 hour and free-running sleep–wake cycles. Sleep, 1980; 2:377–89.
5. . International Classification of Sleep Disorders, revised: Diagnostic and Coding Manual. Revised Edition. Rochester, MN: American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2001.
6. . International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnostic & Coding Manual (2nd ed.). American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2005.
7. , , The prevalence of delayed and advanced sleep phase syndromes. J Sleep Res, 1993; 2:51–55.
8. , , , et al. Demography of sleep disturbances associated with circadian rhythm disorders in Japan. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci, 1999; 53:267–68.
9. , , , et al. Delayed sleep phase syndrome. A chronobiological disorder with sleep-onset insomnia. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 1981; 38:737–46.
10. , , Association between puberty and delayed phase preference. Sleep, 1993; 16:258–62.
11. , , , et al. Delayed sleep phase syndrome in adolescents. J Adolesc Health Care, 1988; 9:22–27.
12. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSD). Sleep Med Rev, 2002; 6:45–54.
13. , , , et al. Prevalence and patterns of problematic sleep among older adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 2000; 39:1549–56.
14. , , , et al. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: part II, advanced sleep phase disorder, delayed sleep phase disorder, free-running disorder, and irregular sleep–wake rhythm. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine review. Sleep, 2007; 30:1484–501.
15. , , , et al. The psychological aspects of patients with delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS). Sleep Med, 2003; 4:427–33.
16. , , , et al. Long-term course of adult patients with delayed sleep phase syndrome. Jap J Psychiatry Neurol, 1993; 47:563–67.
17. , A self-assessment questionnaire to determine morningness–eveningness in human circadian rhythms. Int J Chronobiol, 1976; 4:97–110.
18. , , , et al. Delayed sleep phase cases and controls. J Circadian Rhythms, 2008; 6:6.
19. , , , et al. Phase-dependent treatment of delayed sleep phase syndrome with melatonin. Sleep, 2005; 28:1271–78.
20. , Delayed sleep phase syndrome: a review of its clinical aspects. Am J Psychiatry, 1995; 152:602–08.
21. , , , et al. Chronotherapy: resetting the circadian clocks of patients with delayed sleep phase insomnia. Sleep, 1981; 4:1–21.
22. , , , et al. Clinical features of circadian rhythm sleep disorders in outpatients. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci, 1998; 52:311–16.
23. . Delayed sleep phase syndrome – criminal offense in the military? Military Med, 1990; 155:1–14.
24. , , , et al. Sleep and circadian rhythm disturbances in patients with delayed sleep phase syndrome. Sleep, 2003; 26:657–61.
25. , Delayed sleep phase disorder in temporal isolation. Sleep, 2007; 30:1225–28.
26.Diagnostic classification of sleep and arousal disorder, 1st edition prepared by the Sleep Disorders Classification Committee, H P Roffwarg, Chairman. Sleep, 1979; 2: 1–130.
27. , , , et al. Familial advanced sleep-phase syndrome: a short-period circadian rhythm variant in humans. Nat Med, 1999; 5:1062–65.
28. , , , et al. Two pedigrees of familial advanced sleep phase syndrome in Japan. Sleep, 2003; 26:416–17.
29. , , , et al. Gender differences in the circadian temperature rhythms of healthy elderly subjects: relationships to sleep quality. Sleep, 1989; 12:529–36.
30. , , . Alleviation of sleep maintenance insomnia with timed exposure to bright light. J Am Geriatr Soc, 1993; 41:829–36.
31. , , , et al. Association of sleep–wake habits in older people with changes in output of circadian pacemaker. Lancet, 1992; 340:933–36.
32. , , , et al. Healthy elderly women and men have different entrained circadian temperature rhythms. J Am Geriatr Soc, 1991; 39:383–87.
33. , , , et al. Advanced sleep phase syndrome studied in a time isolation facility. Chronobiologia, 1979; 6:115.
34. , , . Treatment of a case of advanced sleep phase syndrome by phase advance chronotherapy. Sleep, 1986; 9:61–65.
35. , , , et al. Circadian temperature rhythms of older people. Exp Gerontol, 1995; 30:455–74.
36. , , Circadian rhythms of early morning awakening insomniacs. J Sleep Res, 1996; 5:211–19.
37. , The effect of evening bright light in delaying the circadian rhythms and lengthening the sleep of early morning awakening insomniacs. Sleep, 1993; 16:436–43.
38. . Aging human circadian rhythms: conventional wisdom may not always be right. J Biol Rhythms, 2005; 20:366–74.
39. Ultrashort sleep–waking schedule. III. ‘Gates’ and ‘forbidden zones’ for sleep. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol, 1986; 63:414–25.
40. , , . Circadian regulation dominates homeostatic control of sleep length and prior wake length in humans. Sleep, 1986; 9:353–64.
41. , , , et al. Poor recovery sleep after sleep deprivation in delayed sleep phase syndrome. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci, 1999; 53:195–97.
42. , , , et al. Altered phase relation between sleep timing and core body temperature rhythm in delayed sleep phase syndrome and non-24-hour sleep–wake syndrome in humans. Neurosci Lett, 2000; 294:101–04.
43. , Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: characteristics and entrainment pathology in delayed sleep phase and non-24-h sleep–wake syndrome. Sleep Med Rev, 2007; 11:485–96.
44. , , , et al. Sleep timing and circadian phase in delayed sleep phase syndrome. J Biol Rhythms, 2009; 24:313–21.
45. , . Multiple sleep latency tests during the constant routine. Sleep, 1992; 15:396–99.
46. , , Modeling napping, post-lunch dip, and other variations in human sleep propensity. Sleep, 2009; 32:392–98.
47. , , , et al. Practice parameters for the clinical evaluation and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine report. Sleep, 2007; 30:1445–59.
48. , . Hypernyctohemeral syndrome after chronotherapy for delayed sleep phase syndrome. N Engl J Med, 1992; 327:1762.
49. , , , et al. Phase-shifting effects of bright morning light as treatment for delayed sleep phase syndrome. Sleep, 1990; 13:354–61.
50. , Evening light treatment of early morning insomnia. Sleep Res, 1993; 22:225.
51. , , , et al. Light treatment for sleep disorders: consensus report. III. Alerting and activating effects. J Biol Rhythms, 1995; 10:129–32.
52. , , , et al. Delayed sleep phase syndrome response to melatonin. Lancet, 1991; 337:1121–24.
53. , , , et al. Melatonin and delayed sleep phase syndrome: ambulatory polygraphic evaluation. Neuroreport, 1994; 6:132–34.
54. , , , et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study of the effect of exogenous melatonin on delayed sleep phase syndrome. Psychosom Med, 2001; 63:40–48.
55. , , , The use of ramelteon to advance sleep timing and melatonin phase in delayed sleep phase disorder. Sleep, 2009; 32(Abstract supplement):A47–48.
56. , , , et al. Melatonin agonist tasimelteon (VEC-162) for transient insomnia after sleep-time shift: two randomised controlled multicentre trials. Lancet, 2009; 373:482–91.
57. , , , et al. Vitamin B12 treatment for sleep–wake rhythm disorders. Sleep, 1990; 13:15–23.
58. , , , et al. Poor compensatory function for sleep loss as a pathogenic factor in patients with delayed sleep phase syndrome. Sleep, 2000; 23:553–58.