1. . Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV-TR, 4th edition. Washington: American Psychiatric Association Press, 2000.
2. . The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders: Clinical Descriptions and Diagnostic Guidelines. Geneva: WHO, 1992.
3. , , , et al. Prevalence of autism-spectrum conditions: UK school-based population study. Br J Psychiatry 2009;194:500–9.
4. , , . Autism spectrum disorders: clinical and research frontiers. Arch Dis Childhood 2008;93:518–23.
5. , . Annotation: the similarities and differences between autistic disorder and Asperger’s disorder: a review of the empirical evidence. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2004;45:421–34.
6. , , , et al. Practice parameter: screening and diagnosis of autism. Neurology 2000;55:468–79.
7. , . How well does early diagnosis of autism stand the test of time? Follow-up study of children assessed for autism at age 2 and development of an early diagnostic service. Autism 2003;7:47–63.
8. , , , , . Motor coordination in autism spectrum disorders: a synthesis and meta-analysis. J Autism Dev Disord 2010;40:1227–40.
9. , , , et al. MRI volumes of amygdala and hippocampus in non-mentally retarded autistic adolescents and adults. Neurology 1999;53:2145–50.
10. , , , et al. Brain structural abnormalities in young children with autism spectrum disorder. Neurology 2002;59;184–92.
11. , , , et al. Unusual brain growth patterns in early life in patients with autistic disorder: an MRI study. Neurology 2001;57:245–54.
12. , , , . Brain volume in autism. J Child Neurol 2001;16:421–4.
13. . The neuropathology of autism. Brain Pathol 2007;17:422–33.
14. , , , et al. Macrocephaly in children and adults with autism. J Am Acad Child Adoles Psychiatry 1997;36:282–90.
15. , , , , . Microcephaly and macrocephaly in autism. J Autism Dev Disord 1999;29:113–19.
16. , , . Cerebellar function in autism: functional magnetic resonance image activation during a simple motor task. Biol Psychiat 2004;56:269–78.
17. , , , , . Investigating individual differences in brain abnormalities in autism. In , , eds. Autism: Mind and Brain. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003;247–65.
18. , . Differential effects of developmental cerebellar abnormality on cognitive and motor functions in the cerebellum: an fMRI study of autism. Am J Psychol 2003;160:262–73.
19. , , , et al. A clinicopathological study of autism. Brain 1998;121:889–905.
20. , , , et al. Purkinje cell size is reduced in cerebellum of patients with autism. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2002;22:171–5.
21. , , , et al. Specificity of cerebellar vermian abnormalities in autism: a quantitative magnetic resonance imaging study. J Child Neurol 2003;18:463–70.
22. , , , et al. Abnormality of cerebellar vermian lobules VI and VII in patients with infantile autism: identification of hypoplastic and hyperplastic subgroups with MR imaging. Am J Roentgenol 1994; 162: 123–30.
23. , , , et al. Decreased connectivity and cerebellar activity in autism during motor task performance. Brain 2009;132:2413–25.
24. , , , et al. Brain morphometry volume in autistic spectrum disorder: a magnetic resonance imaging study of adults. Psychol Med 2009;39:337–46.
25. , , , et al. Brain anatomy and sensorimotor gating in Asperger’s syndrome. Brain 2002; 125: 1594–606.
26. , , , et al. Altered cerebellar feedback projections in Asperger syndrome. NeuroImage 2008;41:1184–91.
27. , , , , . Basal ganglia shapes predict social, communication, and motor dysfunctions in boys with autism spectrum disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2010;49:539–51.
28. , , , et al. Mapping the brain in autism. A voxel-based MRI study of volumetric differences and intercorrelations in autism. Brain 2005;128:268–76.
29. , , , et al. An MRI study of the basal ganglia in autism. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 1999; 23: 613–24.
30. , , , , et al. Reduced caudate nucleus volume in obsessive–compulsive disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1995;52:393–8.
31. , , , et al. Visuospatial processing and the function of prefrontal–parietal networks in autism spectrum disorders: a functional MRI study. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:1440–3.
32. , , , , . Greater disruption to control of voluntary saccades in autistic disorder than Asperger’s disorder: evidence for greater cerebellar involvement in autism?The Cerebellum 2011;10:70–80.
33. , , . Autism as a selective disorder of complex information processing and underdevelopment of neocortical systems. Mol Psychiatry 2002;7:S14–S5.
34. , . The new neurobiology of autism: cortex, connectivity, and neuronal organization. Arch Neurol 2007;64:945–50.
35. , , , et al. Autism as a disorder of neural information processing: directions for research and targets for therapy. Mol Psychiatry 2004;9:646–63.
36. , , , , . Movement analysis in infancy may be useful for early diagnosis of autism. Proc Natl Acad Sci: Psychol 1998;95:13982–7.
37. , , , et al. Motor proficiency and emotional-behavioural disturbance in autism and Asperger’s disorder: Another piece of the neurological puzzle? J Autism in press.
38. , . A neurological model for childhood autism. Arch Neurol 1978;35:777–86.
39. , . Moving on: autism and movement disturbance. Ment Retard 1996;34:39–53.
40. , , , et al. The severity and nature of motor impairment in Asperger’s syndrome: a comparison with specific developmental disorder of motor function. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2002;43:655–68.
41. , , , et al. Lower limb motor restlessness in Asperger’s disorder, measured using actometry. Psychiatry Res 2004;128:63–70.
42. , , , et al. Gait function in high-functioning autism and Asperger’s disorder: evidence for basal-ganglia and cerebellar involvement?Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2006;15:256–64.
43. , , , et al. Gait function in newly diagnosed children with autism: cerebellar and basal ganglia related motor disorder. Dev Med Child Neurol 2006;48:819–24.
44. , , , et al. An examination of movement kinematics in young people with high-functioning autism and Asperger’s disorder: further evidence for a motor planning deficit. J Autism Dev Disord 2006;36:757–67.
45. , , . Autism and Asperger’s disorder: are they movement disorders involving the cerebellum and/or basal ganglia?Brain Res Bull 2005;67:327–34.
46. . Human Motor Control. London: Academic Press, 1991.
47. , , , . Underdevelopment of the postural control system in autism. Neurology 2004;63:2056–61.
48. , , , . Movement preparation in high-functioning autism and Asperger disorder: a serial choice ration time task involving motor reprogramming. J Autism Dev Disord 2001;31:79–88.
49. , , , et al. Movement-related potentials in high-functioning autism and Asperger’s disorder. Dev Med Child Neurol 2006;48:272–7.
50. , , , . Gross motor performance and self-perceived motor competence in children with emotional, behavioural, and pervasive developmental disorders: a review. Dev Med Child Neurol 2009;51:501–17.
51. , , , et al. Motor proficiency and emotional/behavioural disturbance in autism and Asperger’s disorder: another piece of the neurological puzzle?Autism 2011.
52. . The developmental skill-learning gap hypothesis: implications for children with movement difficulties. Adapt Phys Activ Q 2004;21:197–218.
53. . School time physical activity of students with and without autism spectrum disorders during PE and recess. Adapt Phys Activ Quart 2008;25:308–21.
54. , , , , . An investigation of upperlimb motor functioning in high functioning autism and Asperger’s disorder using repetitive Fitts’ aiming task. Res Autism Spectrum Disord 2012;6:286–92.
55. . The neurology of autism spectrum disorders. Curr Opin Neurol 2011;24:132–9.
56. , , , , . A report: the definition and classification of cerebral palsy April 2006. Dev Med Child Neurol 2007;49:8–14.
57. . Definition and classification of cerebral palsy: a historical perspective. Dev Med Child Neurol 2007;49:3–7.
58. , , , , . A report: the definition and classification of cerebral palsy April 2006. Dev Med Child Neurol 2007;49:8–14.
59. . Definition and classification of cerebral palsy: a historical perspective. Dev Med Child Neurol 2007;49:3–7.
60. . Definition and classification of cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol 2007;49:166.
61. , , , et al. Proposed new definition of cerebral palsy does not solve any of the problems of existing definitions. Dev Med Child Neurol 2006;48:78–9.
62. . Terminology and classification of cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol 1964;11:295–7.
63. , , , et al. Development and reliability of a system to classify gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol 1997;39: 214–23.
64. , , , . Content validity of the expanded and revised Gross Motor Function Classification System. Dev Med Child Neurol 2008;50:6.
65. , . Pervasive developmental disorders in individuals with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol 2009;51:289–94.
66. , , , , . Prevalence of chronic health conditions in children with intellectual disability: a systematic literature review. Intellect Dev Disabil 2011;49:59–85.
67. , , , et al. The Manual Ability Classification System (MACS) for children with cerebral palsy: scale development and evidence of validity and reliability. Dev Med Child Neurol 2006;48:549–54.
68. , , , et al. Developing and validating the Communication Function Classification System for individuals with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol 2011; 53: 704–10.
69. , , . Activity focused and goal directed therapy for children with cerebral palsy – do goals make a difference?Disabil Rehabil 2009;31:1808–16.
70. . Activity-focused motor interventions for children with neurological conditions. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr 2004;24:79–107.
71. , . Effects of neurodevelopmental treatment (NDT) for cerebral palsy: an AACPDM evidence report. Dev Med Child Neurol 2001;43:3.
72. , , . Goal-directed functional therapy: a longitudinal study on gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy. Disabil Rehabil 2010;32:908–16.
73. , , , et al. Family-centred functional therapy for children with cerebral palsy: an emerging practice model. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr 1998;18:83–102.
74. , . Primary health care and people with an intellectual disability: the evidence base. J Intellect Disabil Res 1997;41:365–72.
75. . Developmental disability and psychiatric disorders. In , , eds. Mental Health in Australia. Melbourne: Open University Press, 2007.
76. , , , . Motor performance of children with mild intellectual disability and borderline intellectual functioning. J Intellect Disabil Res 2010;54:955–65.
77. . Benefits of early intervention for children with developmental disabilities. Seminars Ped Neurol 1998;5:62–9.
78. , , . Physical performance of individuals with intellectual disability: a 30-year follow-up. Adapt PhysActiv Quart 2007;24:125–43.
79. , , , , . Community care for adults with learning disability and their carers: needs and outcomes from the Leicestershire register. J Intellect Disabil Res: 1996;40:183–90.
80. , , . Health disparities among adults with developmental disabilities, adults with other disabilities, and adults not reporting disability in North Carolina. Public Health Rep 2004;119:418–26.
81. , . Secondary conditions in people with developmental disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil 2011;116:36–47.
82. , . Care planning and case conferencing. Building effective multidisciplinary teams. Austral Family Physician 2001;30:78–81.
83. , , , et al. DVD-based stories of people with developmental disabilities as resources for inter-professional education. Disabil Rehabil 2011;33:1010–21.
84. , , , et al. Effects of a comprehensive health assessment programme for Australian adults with intellectual disability: a cluster randomized trial. Int J Epidemiol 2007;37:139–46.
85. , , , , . Natural history of scoliosis in spastic cerebral palsy. Lancet 1998;351:1687–92.
86. , , . Virtual reality as means to improve physical fitness of individuals at a severe level of intellectual and developmental disability. Res Dev Disabil 2010;31:869–74.
87. , , . Obseity interventions for people with a learning disability: an integrative literature review. J Adv Nursing 2011;67:460–71.
88. , , , , . Project Shake-It-Up: using health promotion, capacity building and a disability studies framework to increase self efficacy. Disabil Rehabil 2010;32:741–54.
89. , , , et al. An evaluation of health communication materials for individuals with disabilities developed by three state disability and health programs. Disabili Health J 2010;3:146–54.
90. , , , , . Organising health care services for persons with an intellectual disability. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;4: CD007492.
91. , . Behavioural and cognitive–behavioural interventions for outwardly-directed aggressive behaviour in people with learning disabilities. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; 3:CD003406.
92. , , , . Walking function, pain, and fatigue in adults with cerebral palsy: a 7-year follow-up study. Dev Med Child Neurol 2009;51:381–8.
93. . Autism in adults. Autism Res 2012;5:1–2.
94. , , , et al. Reasons for hospital admissions among youth and young adults with cerebral palsy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2011;92:46–50.