1. . Mammalian fertilization. In: , , eds. The Physiology of Reproduction. 2nd edn. New York: Raven Press 1994: 189–317.
2. . Sperm preparation methods. J Androl 2000; 21: 357–66.
3. , , , et al. Variability in the human-hamster in vitro assay for fertility evaluation. Fertil Steril 1983; 39: 204–11.
4. , , . Effects of human seminal plasma on fertilizing capacity of human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 1979; 31: 321–7.
5. Sperm recovery techniques to maximize fertilizing capacity. Reprod Fertil Devel 1994; 6: 25–31.
6. . Practical Laboratory Andrology. New York: Oxford University Press 1995.
7. , , . The effects of centrifugation, various synthetic media and temperature on the motility and vitality of human spermatozoa. Reprod Nutr Dévélop 1982; 22: 81–91.
8. , Juneau-Norcross M, . Antisperm antibody production following intrauterine insemination. Hum Reprod 1991; 6: 1125–8.
9. , . Cellular basis of defective sperm function and its association with the genesis of reactive oxygen species by human spermatozoa. J Reprod Fertil 1987; 81: 459–69.
10. , . Significance of reactive oxygen species and antioxidants in defining the efficacy of sperm preparation techniques. J Androl 1988; 9: 367–76.
11. , , , et al. Content of significant amounts of a cytotoxic end-product of lipid peroxidation in human semen. J Reprod Fertil 1991; 92: 291–8.
12. , , , et al. Relative impact of oxidative stress on the functional competence and genomic integrity of human spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 1998; 59: 1037–46.
13. . Free radicals, lipid peroxidation and sperm function. Reprod Fertil Devel 1995; 7: 659–68.
14. . Sperm preparation techniques and iatrogenic failures of in-vitro fertilization. Hum Reprod 1991; 6: 173–6.
15. , , , . Mechanisms of filtration of morphologically abnormal human sperm by cervical mucus. Fertil Steril 1990; 54: 513–6.
16. Sperm transport in the female genital tract. In: , , eds. Cambridge Reviews in Human Reproduction. Volume 2: Gametes – The Spermatozoon. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University Press 1995: 157–74.
17. . A critical review of the physiological importance and analysis of sperm movement in mammals. Hum Reprod Update 1997; 3: 403–39.
18. , , . A ‘migration-gravity sedimentation’ method for collecting motile spermatozoa from human semen. In: , , , eds. In Vitro Fertilization, Embryo Transfer and Early Pregnancy. Lancaster (UK): MTP Press Ltd. 1984: 117–20.
19. , , . Effect of glass wool filtration on ultrastructure of human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 1981; 36: 643–7.
20. , , , et al. Evaluation of Nycodenz and Percoll density gradients for the selection of motile human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 1988; 49: 335–41.
21. , , , et al. Sperm function and choice of preparation media: comparison of Percoll and Accudenz discontinuous density gradients. J Androl 1996; 17: 61–7.
22. , , , . The use of iodixanol as a density gradient material for separating human sperm from semen. Arch Androl 1997; 38: 223–30.
23. , , , . Effects of gradient centrifugation on human sperm. Arch Androl 1987; 17: 85–93.
24. . WHO Laboratory Manual for the Analysis of Human Semen and Sperm-Cervical Mucus Interaction. 4th edn. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University Press 1999.
25. , , , et al. The use of two density gradient centrifugation techniques and the swim-up method to separate spermatozoa with chromatin and nuclear DNA anomalies. Hum Reprod 2000; 15: 1112–6.
26. , , , et al. Interrelationships between seminal parameters and sperm nuclear DNA damage before and after density gradient centrifugation: implications for assisted conception. Hum Reprod 2001; 16: 2160–5.
27. , , , . Blastocyst development from supernumerary embryos after intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a paternal influence? Hum Reprod 1998; 13: 1632–7.
28. , , . A quantitative comparison of the passage of capacitated and uncapacitated hamster spermatozoa through the uterotubal junction. Biol Reprod 1992; 46: 419–24.
29. , , , et al. Factors influencing maintenance of sperm motility during in vitro processing. Fertil Steril 1987; 48: 816–20.
30. , , . Bias to routine semen analysis by uncontrolled changes in laboratory environment – detection by long-term sampling of monthly means for quality control. Int J Androl 1989; 12: 375–83.
31. , , , . Sperm concentration and the fertilization of human eggs in vitro. Biol Reprod 1984; 31: 837–48.
32. , . Quality and Risk Management in the IVF Laboratory. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University Press 2005.