1. , . On the assessment of cardiac inotropic state. Circulation 1973;47:435–8.
2. , , , . The adaptation of ventricular muscle to different circulatory conditions. Arch Int Physiol Biochim 1959;67 (3):358–73.
3. , . Instantaneous pressure–volume relationships and their ratio in the excised supported canine left ventricle. Circ Res 1983;53:306–18.
4. , , , et al. The relationship between pericardial pressure and right atrial pressure: an intraoperative study. Circulation 1986;73 (3):428–32.
5. , , . Effect of positive end-expiratory pressure on right ventricular function in man. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992;146:681–7.
6. , , , , . Left ventricular external constraint: relationship between pericardial, pleural and esophageal pressures during positive end-expiratory pressure and volume loading in dogs. Ann Biomed Eng 1987;15 (3–4):331–46.
7. , . Does the central venous pressure predict fluid responsiveness? An updated meta-analysis and a plea for some common sense. Crit Care Med 2013;41:1774–81.
8. , . Control of cardiac output by systemic vessels: circulatory adjustments of acute and chronic respiratory failure and the effects of therapeutic interventions. Am J Cardiol 1981;47:696–704.
9. , , , . Effects of normal and loaded spontaneous inspiration on cardiovascular function. J Appl Physiol 1979;47 (3):582–590.
10. , , , . Venous return at various right atrial pressures and the normal venous return curve. Am J Physiol 1957;189 (3):609–15.
11. , , . Cardiovascular–pulmonary monitoring in the intensive care unit (Part 1). Chest 1984;85:537–49.
12. , , , , . Partitioning the resistances along the vascular tree: effects of dobutamine and hypovolemia in piglets with an intact circulation. J Clin Monit Comput 2010;24 (5):377–84.
13. , , . Dynamic arterial elastance to predict arterial pressure response to volume loading in preload-dependent patients. Crit Care 2011;15 (1):R15.
14. , , , . Relationship between O2 delivery and O2 consumption in the adult respiratory distress syndrome. Chest 1983;84:267–71.
15. , , , , . Oxygen delivery and uptake in the adult respiratory distress syndrome. Lack of relationship when measured independently in patients with normal blood lactate concentrations. Am Rev Respir Dis 1986;133 (6):999–1001.
16. , , , et al. The energy expenditure of the mechanically ventilated critically ill patient. An analysis. Chest 1986; 89 (2):254–9.
17. . The meaning of cardiac output [editorial]. Intens Care Med 1990;16:415–17.
18. , , . Limitations of the use of mixed venous pO2 as an indicator of tissue hypoxia. Clin Res 1979;27:401A.