1. , , , et al. Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock. N Engl J Med 2001;345:1368–77.
2. , . Early goal-directed therapy: an evidence-based review. Crit Care Med 2004;32 (Suppl):S448–50.
3. , , , et al. Failure to improve during the first day of therapy is predictive of 28-day mortality in severe sepsis. Chest 2004;124 (Suppl):120S.
4. . A comparison of albumin and saline for fluid resuscitation in the intensive care unit. N Engl J Med 2004;350:2247–56.
5. , , , et al. Hyperchloremia after noncardiac surgery is independently associated with increased morbidity and mortality: a propensity-match cohort study. Anesth Analg 2013;117:412–21.
6. , , , et al. Major complications, mortality, and resource utilization after open abdominal surgery: 0.9% saline compared to Plasma-Lyte. Ann Surg 2012;255:821–9.
7. , , , et al. Association between a chloride-liberal vs. chloride-restrictive intravenous fluid administration strategy and kidney injury in critically ill adults. JAMA 2012;308:1566–72.
8. , , , et al. Mortality after fluid bolus in African children with severe infection. N Engl J Med 2011;364:2483–95.
9. , . Resuscitation Fluids. N Engl J Med 2013;369:1243–51.
10. . Arterial pressure: a personal View. In , , , eds. Update in Intensive Care Medicine: Functional Hemodynamic Monitoring. Berlin: Springer, 2005.
11. , , . Central venous pressure: uses and limitations. In , , , eds. Update in Intensive Care Medicine: Functional Hemodynamic Monitoring. Berlin, Springer, 2005.
12. , , , et al. The initial distribution volume of glucose rather than indocyanine green derived plasma volume is correlated with cardiac output following major surgery. Intens Care Med 2000;26:1441–8.
13. , , , et al. Global end diastolic function as an indicator of cardiac preload in patients with septic shock. Chest 2003;124;1900–8.
14. , , . Does central venous pressure predict fluid responsiveness? A systematic review of the literature and the tale of seven mares. Chest 2008;134:172–8.
15. , . Does central venous pressure predict fluid responsiveness? An updated meta-analysis and a plea for some common sense. Crit Care Med 2013;41:1774–81.
16. , , , . Continuous central venous and pulmonary artery oxygen saturation monitoring in the critically ill. Intens Care Med 2004;30;1572–8.
17. , , , et al. Monitoring of central venous oxygen saturation versus mixed venous oxygen saturation in critically ill patients. Inten Care Med 1992;18:101–4.
18. , . Should we monitor ScvO2 in critically ill patients? Cardiol Res Pract 2012; Article ID 370697, 7 pages.
19. , , , et al. Comparison of dopamine and norepinephrine in treatment of shock. N Engl J Med 2010;362:779–89.
20. , , , . Dopamine versus norepinephrine in the treatment of septic shock. Crit Care Med 2012;40:725–30.
21. , , , et al. Vasopressin versus norepinephrine infusion in patients with septic shock. N Engl J Med 2008;358:877–87.
22. , , , et al. Norepinephrine plus dobutamine versus epinephrine alone for the management of septic shock: a randomized trial. Lancet 2007;370:676–84.
23. , , , et al. Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2012. Crit Care Med 2013;41:580–637.
24. , , , . Anemia in critical illness: insights into etiology, consequences, and management. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012;185:1049–57.
25. , , , et al. A multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial of transfusion requirements in critical care. N Engl J Med 1999;340:409–17.
26. , , , , . Practice misalignments in randomized controlled trials: identification, impact, and potential solutions. Anesth Analg 2010;111:444–50.
27. , , , et al. Transfusion requirements after cardiac surgery. JAMA 2010;304:1559–67.
28. , , , et al. Liberal or restrictive transfusion in high-risk patients after hip surgery. N Engl J Med 2011;365:2453–62.
29. , , , et al. Transfusion strategies for acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. N Engl J Med 2013;368:11–21.
30. , , , et al. Early lactate-guided therapy in intensive care unit patients: a multicenter, open-label, randomized controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010;182:752–61.
31. , , , et al. Lactate clearance vs. central venous oxygen saturation as goals of early sepsis therapy: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2010;303:739–46.
32. , , , et al. Duration of hypotension prior to initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock. Crit Care Med 2006;34:1589–96.
33. , , , et al. The influence of inadequate antimicrobial treatment of bloodstream infections on patient outcomes in the ICU setting. Chest 2000;118:146–55.
34. , , , . Impact of time to antibiotics on survival in patients with severe sepsis or septic shock in whom early goal-directed therapy was initiated in the emergency department. Crit Care Med 2010;38:1–9.
35. , , . Efficacy of adequate early antibiotic therapy in ventilator-associated pneumonia: influence of disease severity. Int Care Med 2004;30:1327–33.
36. , , , et al. Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2009;360:1283–97.
37. , , , et al. Hypoglycemia and risk of death in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2012;367:1108–18.
38. , , , et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of pain, agitation, and delirium in adult patients in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2013;13:263–306.
39. , , , et al. Long-term cognitive impairment after critical illness. N Engl J Med 2013;369;1306–16.
40. , , , et al. Early physical medicine and rehabilitation for patients with acute respiratory failure: a quality improvement project. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2010;91:53.
41. , , , et al. Efficacy and safety of a paired sedation and ventilator weaning protocol for mechanically ventilated patients in the intensive care (Awakening and Breathing Controlled trial): a randomized controlled trial.Lancet 2008;371:126–34.