1. . Symposium synopsis. In , , , eds. Spasticity: Disordered Motor Control. Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers, 1980;485–94.
2. Symptoms and signs of multiple sclerosis. In , , , , , , eds. McAlpine's Multiple Sclerosis. London: Churchill Livingstone, 1998.
3. , , , Prevalence and treatment of spasticity reported by multiple sclerosis patients. Mult Scler 2004; 10:589–95.
4. , Multiple sclerosis: side effects of interferon beta therapy and their management. Neurology 1999; 53:1622–7.
5. Spasticity: a review. Neurology 1994; 44:S12–20.
6. , , Physiological aspects of hemiplegic and paraplegic spasticity. In , ed. New Developments in Electromyography and Clinical Neurophysiology. Basel: Karger, 1973.
7. . Preliminary trial of carisoprodol in multiple sclerosis. Practitioner 1964; 192:540–2.
8. , Inter-rater reliability of a modified Ashworth scale of muscle spasticity. Phys Ther 1987; 67:206–7.
9. , , , et al. Inter-rater reliability of the Modified Ashworth Scale in assessing lower limb muscle spasticity. Brain Injury 2009; 23:815–19.
10. , , , et al. A review of the properties and limitations of the Ashworth and Modified Ashworth Scales as measures of spasticity. Clin Rehab 1999; 13:373–83.
11. , , , et al. Stop using the Ashworth Scale for the assessment of spasticity. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2010; 81:46–52.
12. , , A la recherche d'une technique de mesure de la spasticite. Rev Neurol 1954; 91:143–4.
13. , , , et al. The effect of botulinum toxin type A on the functional ability of the child with spastic hemiplegia a randomized controlled trial. J Neurol 2001; 8(Suppl 5):50–8.
14. , Pendulum testing of spasticity. J Biomed Eng 1984; 6:9–16.
15. Human monosynaptic reflexes and presynaptic inhibition: an interpretation of spastic hyperreflexia. In , ed. New Developments in Electromyography and Clinical Neurophysiology. Basel: Karger, 1973.
16. , , Comparison of clinical and neurophysiologic responses to intrathecal baclofen bolus administration in moderate-to-severe spasticity after acquired brain injury. Arch Phys Med Rehab 2005; 86:1801–6.
17. , , , et al. Intrathecal baclofen for severe spinal spasticity. N Engl J Med 1989; 320:1517–21.
18. , , , , Validity, reliability, and clinical importance of change in a 0–10 numeric rating scale measure of spasticity: a post hoc analysis of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Clin Ther 2008; 30:974–85.
19. , A pilot study of a comparison between a patient scored numeric rating scale and clinician scored measures of spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Neurorehabilitation 2009; 24:333–40.
20. , , , et al. Getting the measure of spasticity in multiple sclerosis: the Multiple Sclerosis Spasticity Scale (MSSS-88). Brain 2006; 129:224–34.
21. , , , Effect of a 4-week period of unloaded leg cycling exercise on spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Neurorehabilitation 2009; 24:327–31.
22. . Spasticity management in multiple sclerosis. Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers, 2003.
23. , , , , Early physiotherapy after injection of botulinum toxin increases the beneficial effects on spasticity in patients with multiple sclerosis. Clin Rehab 2007; 21:331–7.
24. , , , Locomotor training using body weight support on a treadmill improves mobility in persons with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study. Mult Scler 2007; 13:224–31.
25. , Effect of acute unloaded arm versus leg cycling exercise on the soleus H-reflex in adults with multiple sclerosis. Neurosci Lett 2010; 479:307–11.
26. , , Evaluation of a single session with cooling garment for persons with multiple sclerosis-a randomized trial. Disabil Rehab Assist Technol 2006; 1:225–33.
27. , , , , Vibration therapy in multiple sclerosis: a pilot study exploring its effects on tone, muscle force, sensation and functional performance. Clin Rehab 2009; 23:771–81.
28. , , Anti-spasticity agents for multiple sclerosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; 4(CD-ROM)
29. , , Results of international clinical trials with Lioresal. Postgrad Med J 1972; 48:18–23.
30. , , , Baclofen for spasticity in multiple sclerosis: double-blind crossover and three year study. Neurology 1978; 28:1094–8.
31. , , , , Evaluation of treatment protocols on minimal to moderate spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Arch Phys Med Rehab 1991; 72:186–9.
32. , , , Effect of baclofen on gait in spastic MS patients. Acta Neurol Scand 2000; 101:244–8.
33. , , , et al. Treatment of spasticity with tizanidine in multiple sclerosis. Can J Neurol Sci 1987; 14:513–17.
34. , , , et al. Relationship of the antispasticity effect of tizanidine to plasma concentration in patients with multiple sclerosis. Arch Neurol 1997; 54:731–6.
35. , , A double-blind comparative trial of a new muscle-relaxant, tizanidine (DS102–282), and baclofen in the treatment of chronic spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Curr Med Res Opin 1981; 7:374–83.
36. , , , The treatment of spasticity in multiple sclerosis: a double-blind clinical trial of a new anti-spasticity drug tizanidine compared with baclofen. Acta Neurol Scand 1987; 75:190–4.
37. , , , et al. Tizanidine versus baclofen in the treatment of multiple sclerosis patients. Acta Neurol Scand 1988; 77:224–30.
38. , , Tizanidine versus baclofen in the treatment of spasticity in patients with multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Sci 1988; 15:15–19.
39. . A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of tizanidine in the treatment of spasticity caused by multiple sclerosis. Neurology 1994; 44:70–9.
40. , , Nightly sublingual tizanidine HCl in multiple sclerosis: clinical efficacy and safety. Clin Neuropharmacol 2010; 33:151–4.
41. , A double-blind trial with baclofen and diazepam in spasticity due to multiple sclerosis. Acta Neurol Scand 1975; 51:158–66.
42. , Clonazepam, baclofen, and placebo in the treatment of spasticity. Eur Neurol 1977; 16:257–62.
43. , Gabapentin for relief of spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis. Am J Phys Med Rehab 1998; 77:451–4.
44. , , , Gabapentin effect of spasticity in multiple sclerosis: a placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Arch Phys Med Rehab 2000; 81:164–9.
45. , The effect of dantrolene sodium on spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Neurology 1973; 23:1313–15.
46. , , Treatment of spasticity in multiple sclerosis with dantrolene (letter). J Am Med Assoc 1975; 233:1046.
47. , , , Clonidine effect on spasticity: a clinical trial. Arch Phys Med Rehab 1988; 69:193–4.
48. , , Clonidine in spinal cord injury. Can Med Assoc J 1985; 133:41–2.
49. , Effect of transdermal clonidine on spinal spasticity: a case series. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1993; 72:154–7.
50. , , , et al. Cannabinoids control spasticity and tremor in a multiple sclerosis model. Nature 2000; 404:84–7.
51. , Treatment of human spasticity with delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. J Clin Pharmacol 1981; 21:413S–16S.
52. , , , et al. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of Sativex in subjects with symptoms of spasticity due to multiple sclerosis. Neurol Res 2010; 32:451–9.
53. , , , Meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of Sativex (nabiximols) on spasticity in people with multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2010; 16:707–14.
54. , , Action of cyproheptadine in spastic paraparetic patients. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1982; 45:923–6.
55. , , , et al. A pilot trial of low-dose naltrexone in primary progressive multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2008; 14:1076–83.
56. Botulinum toxin: chemistry, pharmacology, toxicity, and immunology. Muscle Nerve 1997;Suppl 6:S146–68.
57. , , , et al. Assessment: Botulinum neurotoxin for the treatment of spasticity (an evidence-based review): report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2008; 70:1691–8.
58. , , , et al. Treatment of spasticity with botulinum toxin: a double-blind study. Ann Neurol 1990; 28:512–15.
59. , Treatment of spasticity with botulinum toxin. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 1997; 117:2022–4.
60. , , , Botulinum toxin for the treatment of spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Am J Phys Med Rehab 1993; 72:364–8.
61. , , , , The safety of baclofen in pregnancy: intrathecal therapy in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2008; 14:571–2.
62. , Intrathecal baclofen for treatment of intractable spinal spasticity. Arch Phys Med Rehab 1994; 75:54–8.
63. , , , et al. Intrathecal baclofen administration for control of severe spinal spasticity: functional improvement and long-term follow-up. Arch Phys Med Rehab 1996; 77:35–9.
64. , , , et al. Long term intrathecal baclofen therapy in patients with intractable spasticity. Can J Neurol Sci 1995; 22:208–17.
65. , , , et al. Intrathecal baclofen therapy for adults with spinal spasticity: therapeutic efficacy and effect on hospital admissions. Can J Neurol Sci 1995; 22:22–9.
66. , , , Chronic intrathecal delivery of baclofen by a programmable pump for the treatment of severe spasticity. J Neurosurg 1996; 85:452–7.
67. , Intrathecal baclofen pump use for spasticity. Am J Phys Med Rehab 2000; 79:536–41.
68. , , , et al. Managing spasticity in people with multiple sclerosis: a goal-oriented approach to intrathecal baclofen therapy. Int J MS Care 2001; 3:10–21.
69. , , , , Long term effect (more than five years) of intrathecal baclofen on impairment, disability, and quality of life in patients with severe spasticity of spinal origin. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004; 75:1553–7.
70. , , , et al. Effect of intrathecal baclofen on sleep and respiratory function in patients with spasticity. Neurology 2006; 67:1432–6.
71. , , , Intrathecal baclofen increases corticospinal output to hand muscles in multiple sclerosis. Neurology 1999; 52:1298–9.
72. , Long-term intrathecal baclofen therapy in ambulatory patients with spasticity. J Neurol 2006; 253:563–9.
73. , , , Use of a registry of intrathecal baclofen therapy in a large multiple sclerosis center: analysis of data on 82 patients and proposed changes (letter). Arch Phys Med Rehab 2001; 82:1329.
74. , , Treatment of severe spasticity with intrathecal baclofen therapy in ambulatory multiple sclerosis patients: 6-month follow-up. Arch Phys Med Rehab 2004; 84:A10.
75. , Use of combination intrathecal baclofen and morphine in MS patients with intractable pain and spasticity. Neurology 2001; 56:A99.
76. , Use of intrathecal clonidine infusion alone, or in combination with intrathecal baclofen, for relief of intractable pain syndromes. Neurology 2001; 56:A351.
77. , , , , Intrathecal clonidine for refractory detrusor hyperreflexia in spinal cord injured patients: a preliminary report. J Urol 1998; 160:2137–8.
78. , , , Results of selective posterior rhizotomy in the treatment of painful and spastic paraplegia secondary to multiple sclerosis. Appl Neurophysiol 1982; 45:335–40.