2. ICDRM/GWU Emergency Management Glossary of Terms. The Institute for Crisis, Disaster, and Risk Management (ICDRM) at the George Washington University (GWU), Washington, DC, June 30, 2009. http://www.gwu.edu/~icdrm. (Accessed August 14, 2015).
4. Emergency Preparedness Education and Training for Health Professionals: A Blueprint for Future Action. Whitepaper for the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, 2008.
6. Committees on Increasing National Resilience to Hazards and Disasters, and Science, Engineering, and Public Policy. Disaster Resilience: A National Imperative. The National Academies, 2013. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13457 (Accessed August 14, 2015).
8. Noji, E. Public Health Issues in Disasters. Critical Care Medicine 2005; 33(Suppl. I): 29–33.
10. Strengthening National Public Health Systems to Emerging Health Challenges. Report of the Regional Conference of Parliamentarians. WHO, Bangkok, Thailand 2012.
12. Strategic Framework 2012–2013. Interagency Standing Committee, Global Health Cluster, World Health Organization. Geneva, Switzerland, 2013.
16. Hyogo Framework for Action 2005–2015: Building the Resilience of Nations and Communities to Disasters. International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, United Nations, 2005. http://www.unisdr.org/we/coordinate/hfa (Accessed August 17, 2015).
17. Bissell, RA. Public Health and Medicine in Emergency Management. In: McEntire, DA, ed. Disciplines, Disasters and Emergency Management. Springfield, IL, Charles C. Thomas Publisher, 2007.
22. Nsubuga, P, et al. Public Health Surveillance: A Tool for Targeting and Monitoring Interventions. In: Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. 2nd ed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11770 (Accessed June 5, 2013).
26. Tabata, N, et al. Casualty Estimation Model Based on the Mechanism of Human Injury in Damaged Buildings. Paper No. 729, 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, BC, Canada, August 1–6, 2004. http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/wcee/article/13_729.pdf (Accessed June 5, 2013).
58. Salomon, G. Israel drills for regional war, earthquake, tsunami. English News CN. October 22, 2013.
63. Barbera, JA, MacIntyre, AG, Shaw, G, et al. Healthcare Emergency Management Competencies: Competency Framework Final Report. Institute for Crisis, Risk and Disaster Management, The George Washington University developed under contract with the U.S. Veterans Health Administration, 2007. http://www.va.gov/VHAEMERGENCYMANAGEMENT/Documents/Education_Training/Healthcare_System_Emergency_Management_Competency_Framework_2007.pdf (Accessed August 19, 2015).
65. Schultz, CH, Koenig KL, Whiteside M, et al. Development of National, Standardized, All-Hazard Disaster Core Competencies for Acute Care Physicians, Nurses and EMS Professionals. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2012; 59: 196–208.
71. Davis, G. The Power of One. In: Firestone CH. Afghans and Americans United (Telling the Stories of Transforming Lives Halfway Around the World). Irwindale, CA, 1st Global Graphics Inc., 2011; 82–85.
72. Giddens, J. COL, USA (ret), interview re: AFAMS, G. Davis, COL, USA (ret) COL re: Senior Medical Advisor to the Advisor to the Surgeon General of the Afghan Army. August 14, 2013.
75. National Association of Community Health Centers. http://www.nachc.org (Accessed June 21, 2013).
81. Fry, A. Map Hispaniola. Big Car, Inc. Indianapolis, IN. 2014
82. Mendelson-Forman, J, White, S. The Dominican Response to the Haiti Earthquake, A Neighbor's Journey. A Report of the CSIS Americas Program. Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, DC, November 2011.
83. Haiti 2010 Earthquake. Photo, devastated pediatric clinic. Photo taken by, courtesy of BCFS Health and Human Services, Grimm D.
89. The Sphere Handbook, Minimum Standards in Health Action, Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Humanitarian Response. The Sphere Project, 2011, www.sphereproject.org (Accessed August 27, 2015).
91. System of Records, National Disaster Medical System. Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Department of Health and Human Services, 2009. No longer on the Internet, hardcopy available from the author.
95. Public Health Preparedness Capabilities: National Standards for State and Local Planning. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, March 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/capabilities (Accessed August 19, 2015).