1. , (1974). Assessment of coma and impaired consciousness. A practical scale. Lancet 2: 81–84.
2. , , , , (2005). Validation of a new coma scale: the FOUR score. Ann Neurol 58: 585–593.
3. , , , et al. (2013). Interobserver agreement of ASPECT score distribution for noncontrast CT, CT angiography, and CT perfusion in acute stroke. Stroke 44: 234–246.
4. , , (2010). Evidence-based guideline: the role of diffusion and perfusion MRI for the diagnosis of acute ischemic stroke. Report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology 75: 177–185.
5. (2001). The diagnosis of brain death. N Engl J Med 344:1215–1221.
6. , (2004). Functional imaging of severely brain-injured patients: progress, challenges, and limitations. Arch Neurol 61: 1357–1360.
7. , (1972). Persistent vegetative state after brain damage: a syndrome in search of a name. Lancet 1: 734–737.
8. (1994). Medical aspects of the vegetative state. The Multi- Society Task Force on PVS. N Engl J Med 330: 1499–1508.
9. , (1970). Destruction of the reticular core of the brainstem. Arch Neurol 23: 1–8.
10. , (2012). Coma and consciousness: paradigms (re)framed by neuroimaging. Neuroimage 61: 478–491.
11. , , , et al. (2002). The minimally conscious state: definition and diagnostic criteria. Neurology 58: 349–353.
12. , , (2004). The JFK Coma Recovery Scale-Revised: measurement characteristics and diagnostic utility. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85: 2020–2029.
13. , , , et al. (2001). Neuropathology in vegetative and severely disabled patients after head injury. Neurology 56: 486–490.
14. , , , , (2010). Selective 4-vessel angiography in brain death: a retrospective study. Can J Neurol Sci 37: 492–497.
15. , , , (2006). Brief review of the role of ancillary tests in the neurological determination of death. Can J Anaesth 53: 620–627.
16. , , , et al. (2006). Practice parameter: prediction of outcome in comatose survivors after cardiopulmonary resuscitation (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 67: 203–210.
, , , , (2003
). Early prediction of outcome after cardiopulmonary resuscitation: a multi-modal approach combining neurobiochemical and electrophysiological investigations may provide higher prognostic certainty in patients after cardiac arrest
. Eur Neurol 49
18. , , , et al. (2010). Electroencephalogram for prognosis after cardiac arrest. J Crit Care 25: 300–304.
19. , , , et al. (2010a). Prognostic value of continuous EEG monitoring during therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest. Crit Care 14(5): R173.
20. , , , et al. (2010b) Prognostication after cardiac arrest and hypothermia: A prospective study. Ann Neurol 67: 301–307.
21. , , , et al. (2007). Status epilepticus. An independent outcome after cerebral anoxia. Neurology 69: 255–260.
22. , , , et al. (2002). Treatment of comatose survivors of out-of-hopsital cardiac arrest with induced hypothermia. N Engl J Med 346: 557–563.
23. (2002). Mild therapeutic hypothermia to improve the neurologic outcome after cardiac arrest. N Engl J Med 346: 549–556.
24. , , , et al. (2008). Predictors of poor neurologic outcome after induced mild hypothermia following cardiac arrest. Neurology 71: 1535–1537.
25. , , , et al. (2012). A case of inaccurate prognostication after the ARCTIC protocol. J Pain Symptom Manage 43: 1120–1125.
26. , , , et al. (2012). Neurologic recovery after hypothermia in patients with post-cardiac arrest myoclonus. Resuscitation 83: 265–269.
27. , , , et al. (2009). Predictors of awakening from postanoxic status epilepticus after therapeutic hypothermia. Neurology 72: 744–749.
28. , , , et al. (2012). Distributions of functional connectivity in the default network of comatose patients. Neurology 78: 175–181.
29. , (2010). Recovery of awareness after hyperacute hepatic encephalopathy with “flat” EEG, severe cerebral edema and deep coma. Neurocrit Care 13: 247–251.
30. , , , (2007). Plum and Posner’s Diagnosis of Stupor and Coma, 4th edn. New York: Oxford University Press.
31. , , , et al. (2008). Predicting outcome after traumatic brain injury: development and international validation of prognostic scores based on admission characteristics. PLOS Med 5: e165.
32. , , , et al. (2012). Prediction of outcome after moderate and severe traumatic brain injury: external validation of the International Mission on Prognosis and Analysis of Clinical Trials (IMPACT) and Corticoid Randomisation After Significant Head injury (CRASH) prognostic models. Crit Care Med 40: 1609–1617.
33. , , , et al. (2009). Predicting outcomes of traumatic brain injury by imaging modality and injury distribution. J Neurotrauma 26: 1183–1196.
34. , , , et al. (2011). Prognostic value of magnetic resonance imaging in moderate and severe head injury: a prospective study of early MRI findings and one-year outcome. J Neurotrauma 28: 691–9.
35. , , , et al. (2012). A longitudinal MRI study of traumatic axonal injury in patients with moderate and severe traumatic brain injury. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83: 1193–1200.
36. , , , et al. (2006) Detecting awareness in the vegetative state. Science 313: 1402.
37. , , , et al. (2009). Towards the routine use of brain imaging to aid the clinical diagnosis of disorders of consciousness. Brain 32: 2541–2552.
38. , , , , (2008). Neuroimaging activation studies in the vegetative state: predictors of recovery?Clin Med 8: 502–507.
39. , , , et al. (2010). Willful modulation of brain activity and communication in disorders of consciousness. N Engl J Med 362: 579–589.
40. , , , (1990). Median nerve somatosensory evoked potentials and the Glasgow Coma Scale as predictors of outcome in comatose patients with head injuries. Neurosurgery 27: 701–708.
41. , (2005). Are somatosensory evoked potentials the best predictor of outcome after severe brain injury? A systematic review. Intensive Care Med 31: 765–775.
42. , , , et al. (1996). Misdiagnosis of the vegetative state: retrospective study in a rehabilitation unit. BMJ 7048:13–16.
43. , , (1993). Accuracy of diagnosis of persistent vegetative state. Neurology 43: 1465–1467.
44. , , , et al. (2008). Diagnostic and prognostic use of bispectral index in coma, vegetative state and related disorders. Brain Inj 22: 926–931.
45. , , , et al. (2012). Brain–computer interfaces for communication with nonresponsive patients. Ann Neurol 72: 312–323.
46. , , , et al. (2011). Dissociations between behavioural and functional magnetic resonance imaging-based evaluations of cognitive function after brain injury. Brain 134: 769–782. doi: 10.1093/brain/awr005.
47. , , (2012). Pattern classification of volitional functional magnetic resonance imaging responses in patients with severe brain injury. Arch Neurol 69: 176–181.
48. , , , et al. (2012). Detecting awareness in the vegetative state: electroencephalographic evidence for attempted movements to command. PLoS One 7(11):e49933-e40040.
49. , , , , (2011). Determination of awareness in patients with severe brain injury using EEG power spectral analysis. Clin Neurophsiol 122: 2157–2168.
50. , , , et al. (1998). Prediction of recovery from post-traumatic vegetative state with cerebral magnetic-resonance imaging. Lancet 351:1763–1767.
51. , , (2013). Reframing the big picture: characterization of patients with disorders of consciousness and evidence of covert high-level cognitive functions. Society for Neuroscience Meeting, Abstract 442.25