1. , Resuscitation of the geriatric patient. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1996;14:233–44.
2. , , Ethical issues in geriatrics: a guide for clinicians. Mayo Clin Proc. 2004;79:554–62.
3. , , , et al. Geriatric hospital medicine. Med Clin North Am. 2002;86:707–29.
4. Emergency physicians’ role in end-of-life care. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1999;17:539–59.
5. , , , et al. Outcomes of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the elderly. Ann Intern Med. 1989;111:199–205.
6. , , In-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation. JAMA. 1988; 260:2069–72.
7. , , Cardiopulmonary resuscitation of old people. Lancet. 1983;2:267–9.
8. , , , et al. Survival after cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the hospital. N Engl J Med. 1983;309:569–75.
9. , In-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation: prospective survey of management and outcome. Anaesth Intensive Care. 1987;15:193–8.
10. Jr, , , et al. Pre-arrest morbidity and other correlates of survival after in-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest. Am J Med. 1989;97:28–34.
11. , , , et al. In-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation: patient arrest and resuscitation factors associated with survival. Resuscitation. 1990;20:115–28.
12. , Postdischarge survival and functional status following in-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Chest. 1994;105:991–6.
13. , , , et al. Early predictors of mortality for hospitalized patients suffering cardiopulmonary arrest. Chest. 1990;97:413–19.
14. , , , et al. Results of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Arch Intern Med. 1993;153:1370–5.
15. , Survival after in-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest of noncritically ill patients. Chest. 1994;106:872–9.
16. , , , et al. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in elderly patients hospitalized in the 1990s: a favorable outcome. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994;42:137–41.
17. , Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the elderly. Beneficial or an exercise in futility? Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1998;16:649–63.
18. , , , et al. Comparison of outcome of paramedic-witnessed cardiac arrest in patients younger and older than 70 years. Am J Cardiol. 1990;65:453–7.
19. , , , et al. Should the elderly be resuscitated following out-of-hospital cardiac arrest? Am J Med. 1989;86:145–50.
20. , , Survival in the elderly after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Crit Care Med. 1993;21:1645–51.
21. , , , et al. Resuscitation from out-of-hospital ventricular tachycardia/fibrillation (VT/VF): the effect of age on outcome. Circulation. 1990;82(Suppl.):III-81.
22. , , Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the elderly. Ann Intern Med. 1990;113:408–9.
23. Jr, , , et al. Does age affect outcomes of out-of-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation? JAMA. 1990;264:2109–10.
24. , , The outcome of CPR initiated in nursing homes. J Emerg Geriatr Soc. 1990;38:197–200.
25. , , Outcomes of skilled cardiopulmonary resuscitation in a long-term care facility: futile therapy? J Am Geriatr Soc. 1992;40:593–5.
26. , Poor outcome of on-site CPR in a multilevel geriatric facility: three and a half years experience at the Baycrest Center for Geriatric Care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993;41:163–6.
27. , , , et al. Outcomes of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in nursing homes: can we predict who will benefit? Am J Med. 1993;95:123–30.
28. , , , et al. Older nursing home residents have a cardiac arrest survival rate similar to that of older persons living in the community. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995;43:520–7.
29. , Assessment and management of the geriatric patient. Crit Care Med. 2004;32:S92–105.
30. , Management of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Anesthesiol Clin North Am. 2000;18:143–58.
31. , Manual of Emergency Airway Management (Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2008).
32. , Acute respiratory failure in the elderly: diagnosis and prognosis. Age Aging. 2008;37:251–7.
33. , Ultrasound in the critically ill. Ultrasound Clinics. 2011;6:235–59.
34. , Sepsis in older patients: An emerging concern in critical care. Advances Sepsis. 2002;2:15–22.
35. , , Severe sepsis and septic shock in the elderly: An overview. World J Crit Care Med. 2012;1:23–20.
36. , , , et al. Ischemic stroke in the elderly: an overview of evidence. Nat Rev Neurol. 2010;6:256–65.
38. , Pathophysiological considerations of seizures, epilepsy, and status epilepticus in the elderly. Aging Dis. 2011;2:278–86.
39. , Status epilepticus in the elderly: differential diagnosis and treatment. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2011;7:161–6.
40. Epilepsy in older adults: common morbidities influence development, treatment strategies, and expected outcomes. Geriatrics. 2005;60:30–4.
41. , , , et al. Living wills and resuscitation preferences in the elderly population. Arch Intern Med. 1995;155:171–5.
42. , , , et al. A prospective study of advance directives for life-sustaining care. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:882–8.
43. Advance care planning: pitfalls, progress, promise. Crit Care Med. 2001;29:N34–9.
44. , , , et al. Sources of concern about the Patient Self-Determination Act. N Engl J Med. 1991;325:1666–71.
45. . Ethics manual, 4th edn. Ann Intern Med. 1998;128:576–94.
46. Advanced medical directives. JAMA. 1990;263:2365–7.
47. , , , et al. Advance directives for medical care – a case for greater use. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:889–95.
48. , , , et al. Patient transfer from nursing home to emergency department: outcomes and policy implications. Acad Emerg Med. 1997;4:908–15.
49. , The use of living wills at the end of life: a national study. Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:1018–22.
50. , , Advanced end-of-life treatment planning: a research review. Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:1062–8.
51. , , , et al. SUPPORT Investigators. Do advance directives provide instructions that direct care? J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997;45:508–12.
52. , , , et al. Factors associated with do-not-resuscitate orders: patients’ preferences, prognoses, and physicians’ judgments. Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:284–93.
53. , , , et al. Life values, resuscitation preferences and the applicability of living wills in an older population. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996;44:954–8.
54. , , , et al. How long does it take to get a “do not resuscitate” order? J Palliat Care. 1997;13:5–8.
55. Ethical issues of resuscitation. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1999;17:527–38.
56. , , , et al. Age-related differences in care preferences, treatment decisions, and clinical outcomes of seriously ill hospitalized adults: lessons from SUPPORT. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000;48:S176–82.
57. , “No” when the family says “go”: resisting families’ requests for futile CPR. Ann Emerg Med. 1989;18:898–9.
58. , , , et al. Determination of “futility” in emergency medicine. Ann Emerg Med. 2000;35:604–12.
59. How physicians talk about futility: making words mean too many things. J Law Med Ethics. 1993;21:231–7.
60. , , , et al. Physicians’ quantitative assessments of medical futility. J Clin Ethics. 1994;5:100–5.
61. Nonbeneficial (“Futile”) Emergency Medical Interventions (Policy Statement)
: American College of Emergency Physicians
, accessed from www.acep.org/policy/PO400198.HTM
62. , , , et al. Ethical issues of cardiopulmonary resuscitation: current practice among emergency physicians. Acad Emerg Med. 1997;4:898–904.
63. Lived experience of critically ill patients’ family members during cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Am J Crit Care. 2004;13:416–20.
64. , , Family presence during resuscitation: a descriptive study of nurses’ attitudes from two Saudi hospitals. Nurs Crit Care. 2012;17:90–8.
65. , Role of the family support person during resuscitation. Nursing Standard. 2008;23:43–7.
66. , , , et al. Family-witnessed resuscitation in emergency departments: Doctors’ attitudes and practices. S Afr Med J. 2011;101:765–7.
, , Reactions of staff members and lay people to family presence during resuscitation: the effect of visible bleeding, resuscitation outcome and gender
. J Adv Nurs. 2012