- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: July 2014
- Print publication year: 2013
- Online ISBN: 9781139566810
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139566810
This two-volume work comprises a fourteenth-century cartulary containing charters and deeds that document the history of Selby Abbey from its foundation under William the Conqueror in 1069 until the mid-fifteenth century. The editor, J. T. Fowler (1834–1924), originally a surgeon, left medicine for the church. He studied at Durham University before becoming a deacon in the Durham diocese and holding posts in the university itself. The contents of the cartulary are divided across the two volumes, originally published between 1891 and 1893, and Fowler has aimed to reproduce the Latin text as closely as possible, noting any errors in occasional footnotes. Volume 2 includes a preface discussing some personal names of interest found in the cartulary. Also featured is a description of the abbey by architect Charles Clement Hodges (1852–1932), with illustrative plates. The appendix contains further documents relating to the ownership of the abbey's lands.