1. , , , et al. Contemporary definitions and classification of the cardiomyopathies: an American Heart Association Scientific Statement from the Council on Clinical Cardiology, Heart Failure and Transplantation Committee; Quality of Care and Outcomes Research and Functional Genomics and Translational Biology Interdisciplinary Working Groups; and Council on Epidemiology and Prevention. Circulation 2006; 113: 1807–16.
2. , , , et al. Classification of the cardiomyopathies: a position statement from the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on myocardial and pericardial diseases. Eur Heart J 2008; 29: 270–6.
3. , , , et al. Report of the 1995 World Health Organization/International Society and Federation of Cardiology Task Force on the Definition and Classification of Cardiomyopathies. Circulation 1996; 93: 841–2.
4. . Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a systematic review. JAMA 2002; 287: 1308–20.
5. , . New concepts in hypertrophic cardiomyopathies, part 1. Circulation 2001; 104: 2113–6.
6. , . Reviews of translational medicine and genomics in cardiovascular disease: new disease taxonomy and therapeutic implications. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49: 1251–64.
7. , . New concepts in hypertrophic cardiomyopathies, part 2. Circulation 2001; 104: 2249–52.
8. , , , et al. Sudden death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: identification of high risk patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36: 2212–8.
9. , , , et al. Tissue Doppler imaging consistently detects myocardial abnormalities in patients with cardiomyopathy and provides a novel means for an early diagnosis before and independently of hypertrophy. Circulation 2001; 104: 128–30.
10. , , , et al. Tissue Doppler imaging predicts the development of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in subjects with subclinical disease. Circulation 2003; 108: 395–8.
11. , , , et al. ACC/ESC clinical expert consensus document on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a report of the American College of Cardiology Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Committee to develop an expert consensus document on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). Eur Heart J 2003; 24: 1965–91.
12. , , , et al. Mitral valve abnormalities in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: echocardiographic features and surgical outcomes. Ann Thor Surg 2008; 85: 1527–35.
13. , , , et al. Effect of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction on clinical outcome in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. N Eng J Med 2003; 348: 295–303.
14. , , , et al. Prevalence, clinical significance and genetic basis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with restrictive phenotype. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49: 2419–26.
15. , , , et al. Characterization of left ventricular diastolic function by tissue Doppler imaging and clinical status in children with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2004; 109: 1756–62.
16. , . Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: part 1. Cardiomyopathy. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2000; 13: 73–86.
17. , , , et al. Prevalence, clinical significance and natural history of left ventricular apical aneurysms in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2008; 118: 1541–9.
18. , , , et al. Discrimination of nonobstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy from hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy on the basis of strain rate imaging by tissue Doppler ultrasonography. Circulation 2004; 110: 3808–14.
19. , . Echocardiographic assessment of left ventricular hypertrophy in elite athletes. Heart 2008; 94: 1254–55.
20. , , , et al. Ethnic differences in left ventricular remodeling in highly-trained athletes. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 2256–62.
21. , , , et al. Impact of septal myectomy on left atrial volume and left ventricular diastolic filling patterns: an echocardiographic study on young patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2008; 21: 684–8.
22. , , , et al. Echo-guided percutaneous septal ablation for symptomatic hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: 7 years of experience. Eur J Echocardiogr 2004; 5: 347–55.
23. , , , et al. Regression of left ventricular hypertrophy after nonsurgical septal reduction therapy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2001; 103: 1492–6.
24. , , , et al. Outcome of alcohol septal ablation for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2008; 118: 131–9.
25. , , . Cardiomyopathies: is it time for a molecular classification?Eur Heart J 2004; 25: 1772–5.
26. , , , et al. A novel locus for dilated cardiomyopathy, diffuse myocardial fibrosis, and sudden death on chromosome 10q25–26. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48: 106–11.
27. , , , et al. Familial dilated cardiomyopathy: evidence for genetic and phenotypic heterogeneity. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 34: 181–90.
28. , , , . Left atrial functional reserve in patients with nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy: an echocardiographic dobutamine study. Chest 2002; 122: 1340–7.
29. , , , et al. Geometric differences of the mitral valve apparatus between ischemic and dilated cardiomyopathy with significant mitral regurgitation: real-time three-dimensional echocardiography. Circulation 2003; 107: 1135–40.
30. , , , et al. Prediction of cardiac stability after weaning from left ventricular assist devices in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2008; 118 (suppl 1): S94–105.
31. , , , et al. Selected ventriculoplasty for idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy with advanced congestive heart failure: midterm results and risk analysis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2007: 32: 912–16.
32. , , , et al. Clinical profile and outcome of idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2000; 101: 2490–6.
33. , , , et al. Idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy in children is caused by mutations in cardiac sarcomeric protein genes. Heart 2008; 94: 1478–84.
34. , , , et al. Idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy is part of the clinical expression of cardiac troponin I mutations. J Clin Invest 2003; 111: 209–16.
35. , , , et al. Genetic linkage of a novel autosomal dominant restrictive cardiomyopathy locus. J Med Genet 2005; 42: 663–5.
36. , , , et al. Differentiation of constrictive pericarditis from restrictive cardiomyopathy: assessment of left ventricular diastolic velocities in longitudinal axis by Doppler tissue imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996; 27: 108–14.
37. . Tissue Doppler echocardiography. Curr Opin Cardiol 2000; 15: 323–9.
38. , , , et al. Annulus paradoxus: transmitral flow velocity to mitral annular velocity ratio is inversely proportional to pulmonary capillary wedge pressure in patients with constrictive pericarditis. Circulation 2001; 104: 976–8.
39. , , , . Differentiation between restrictive cardiomyopathy and constrictive pericarditis by early diastolic Doppler myocardial velocity gradient at the posterior wall. Circulation 2000; 102: 655–62.
40. , , , et al. Preload reduction to unmask the characteristic Doppler features of constrictive pericarditis. Circulation 1997: 95: 796–9.
41. , , , et al. Value of dynamic respiratory changes in left and right ventricular pressures for the diagnosis of constrictive pericarditis. Circulation 1996; 93: 2007–13.
42. . MRI of cardiomyopathies. Eur J Radiol 2001; 38; 179–84.
43. , , , , . Arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Anesthesiology 2001; 95: 250–4.
44. , , , , . Left ventricular involvement in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2002; 105: 1394.
45. , , , et al. Diagnosis of arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Br Heart J 1994; 71: 215–18.
46. , , , et al. Echocardiographic findings in patients meeting task force criteria for arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45: 860–5.
47. , , , et al. Arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy (ARVD/C): a multidisciplinary study: design and protocol. Circulation 2003; 107: 2975–8.
48. , . Isolated noncompaction of the myocardium: multiplane transesophageal echocardiography diagnosis in an adult. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2000; 13: 1047–9.
49. , , , et al. Isolated ventricular non-compaction: clinical study and genetic review. Europace 2006; 8: 1064–7.
50. , , , et al. Mutations in sarcomere protein genes in left ventricular noncompaction. Circulation 2008; 117: 2893–901.
51. , , , et al. Mutation in the alpha-cardiac actin gene associated with apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, left ventricular non-compaction and septal defects. Eur Heart J 2007; 28: 1953–61.