1. , . Atlas of Cerebrovascular Disease. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 1976.
2. . Natural history and pathophysiology of arteriovenous malformations. Clin Neurosurg 1979;26:307–13.
3. , , , et al. The natural history of symptomatic arteriovenous malformations of the brain: a 24-year follow-up assessment. J Neurosurg 1990;73:387–91.
4. , , , et al. Arteriovenous malformations of the brain: natural history in unoperated patients. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1986;49:1–10.
5. , . Report on the cooperative study of intracranial aneurysms and subarachnoid hemorrhage. Section VI. Arteriovenous malformations. An analysis of 545 cases of cranio-cerebral arteriovenous malformations and fistulae reported to the cooperative study. J Neurosurg 1966;25:467–90.
6. , , , et al. Stroke in south Alabama: incidence and diagnostic features—a population based study. Stroke 1984;15:249–55.
7. , , Nontraumatic intracerebral hemorrhage in young adults. Arch Neurol 1987;44:483–5.
8. , , . Bleeding from cerebral arteriovenous malformations as part of their natural history. J Neurosurg 1983;58:331–7.
9. , , , et al. The natural history of unruptured intracranial arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg 1988;68:352–7.
10. , , , et al. Risk of spontaneous haemorrhage after diagnosis of cerebral arteriovenous malformation. Lancet 1997;350:1065–8.
11. , , , et al. Longitudinal risk of intracranial hemorrhage in patients with arteriovenous malformation of the brain within a defined population. Stroke 2004;35:1697–702.
12. , , , et al. Predictors of hemorrhage in patients with untreated brain arteriovenous malformation. Neurology 2006;66:1350–5.
13. , , , et al. Natural history of brain arteriovenous malformations: a long-term follow-up study of risk of hemorrhage in 238 patients. Neurosurgery 2008;63:823–9.
14. , , , et al. The treatment of associated intracranial aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg 1992;77:853–9.
15. , , , et al. Hemorrhage in intracerebral arteriovenous malformations: angiographic determinants. Radiology 1990;176:807–13.
16. , , , et al. Arterial aneurysms associated with cerebral arteriovenous malformations: classification, incidence, and risk of hemorrhage. J Neurosurg 1998;89:539–46.
17. , , , et al. The management of patients with arteriovenous malformations and associated intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery 1998;43:202–11.
18. , , , et al. Aneurysms related to cerebral arteriovenous malformations: superselective angiographic assessment in 58 patients. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1994;15:1601–5.
19. , , , et al. The influence of hemodynamic and anatomical factors on hemorrhage from cerebral arteriovenous malformations. Neurosurgery 1994;34:801–7.
20. , , , et al. An analysis of the venous drainage system as a factor in hemorrhage from arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg 1992;76:239–43.
21. , , , et al. Correlation of the angioarchitectural features of cerebral arteriovenous malformations with clinical presentation of hemorrhage. Neurosurgery 1995;37:856–60.
22. , . Tumors Arising from the Blood-Vessels of the Brain; Angiomatous Malformations and Hemangioblastomas. Springfield, IL: C. C. Thomas, 1928.
23. , . A proposed grading system for arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg 1986;65:476–83.
24. , . Anatomical grading of supratentorial arteriovenous malformations for determining operability. Neurosurgery 1977;1:30–5.
25. . Spetzler–Martin grade III arteriovenous malformations: surgical results and a modification of the grading scale. Neurosurgery 2003;52:740–8.
26. , , . Multidisciplinary approach to arteriovenous malformations. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 1998;38(Suppl):177–85.
27. , , , et al. Relationship of perfusion pressure and size to risk of hemorrhage from arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg 1992;76:918–23.
28. , , . Intention-to-treat analysis of Spetzler–Martin grades IV and V arteriovenous malformations: natural history and treatment paradigm. J Neurosurg 2003;98:3–7.
29. , , , et al. Deep arteriovenous malformations of the basal ganglia and thalamus: natural history. J Neurosurg 2003;98:747–50.
30. , , , et al. Angioarchitecture associated with haemorrhage in cerebral arteriovenous malformations: a prognostic statistical model. Neuroradiology 1997;39:52–8.
31. , , , et al. A study on the venous drainage of 150 cerebral arteriovenous malformations as related to haemorrhagic risks and size of the lesion. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1990;103:30–4.
32. Simple risk predictions for arteriovenous malformation hemorrhage. Neurosurgery 2000;46:1024.
33. , , . Simple risk predictions for arteriovenous malformation hemorrhage. Neurosurgery 1995;37:851–5.
34. , . Acute surgical management of intracranial arteriovenous malformations. Neurosurgery 1994;34:8–12.
35. , , , et al. Surgical resection of large incompletely treated intracranial arteriovenous malformations following stereotactic radiosurgery. J Neurosurg 1996;84:920–8.
36. , , . Surgical excision of cerebral arteriovenous malformations: late results. Neurosurgery 1990;26:570–7.
37. . Controversies in neurosurgery: microsurgery versus radiosurgery for arteriovenous malformations: the case for microsurgery. Clin Neurosurg 2000;46:285–94.
38. , , , et al. Determinants of neurological outcome after surgery for brain arteriovenous malformation. Stroke 2000;31:2361–4.
39. , . Honored guest presentation: management strategies for the treatment of intracranial arteriovenous malformations. Clin Neurosurg 2000;46:267–84.
40. , . The prospective application of a grading system for arteriovenous malformations. Neurosurgery 1994;34:2–6.
41. , , , et al. Surgical resection of cerebral arteriovenous malformation combined with pre-operative embolisation. J Clin Neurosci 2000;7(Suppl 1):88–91.
42. , , , et al. Treatment of arteriovenous malformation of the brain: preliminary experience. J Clin Neurosci 2000;7(Suppl 1):24–9.
43. , , . Surgical treatment of intracranial arteriovenous malformations with an analysis of cost-effectiveness. Clin Neurosurg 1995;42:348–69.
44. , . Microsurgery for small arteriovenous malformations of the brain: results in 110 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery 2000;47:571–5.
45. , , . Microsurgical treatment of arteriovenous malformations: analysis and comparison with stereotactic radiosurgery. J Neurosurg 1998;88:641–6.
46. , , , et al. Role of frameless stereotaxy in the surgical treatment of cerebral arteriovenous malformations: technique and outcomes in a controlled study of 44 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery 2002;51:1108–16.
47. , , . Microsurgery for 67 intracranial arteriovenous malformations less than 3 cm in diameter. J Neurosurg 1993;79:653–60.
48. , , , et al. Curative treatment of cerebral arteriovenous malformations by embolisation using cellulose acetate polymer followed by surgical resection. J Clin Neurosci 2000;7(Suppl 1):1–5.
49. , , , et al. Influence of the combination of patient age and deep venous drainage on brain arteriovenous malformation recurrence after surgery. J Neurosurg 2012;117:934–41.
50. , , , et al. Surgical management of cerebral arteriovenous malformations with intraoperative digital subtraction angiography. J Clin Neurosci 2000;7(Suppl 1):33–5.
51. , . Complications of angioma surgery: personal experience in 191 patients with cerebral angiomas. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 1998;38:238–44.
52. , , , et al. Resectability of Spetzler–Martin grade IV and V cerebral arteriovenous malformations. J Clin Neurosci 2000;7(Suppl 1):78–81.
53. , , , et al. Combination of intraoperative embolisation with surgical resection for treatment of giant cerebral arteriovenous malformations. J Clin Neurosci 2000;7(Suppl 1):54–9.
54. , , . Arteriovenous malformations of the brain. Surgical management. Clin Neurosurg 1993;40:139–73.
55. , , , et al. Results of multimodality treatment for 141 patients with brain arteriovenous malformations and seizures: factors associated with seizure incidence and seizure outcomes. Neurosurgery 2002;51:303–9.
56. , . Parenchymal Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformations. Brain Surgery: Complication Avoidance Management. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1993.
57. . Prevention and Management of Therapeutic Complications. Vascular Malformations of the Central Nervous System. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999.
58. , , , et al. Functional magnetic resonance imaging as a management tool for cerebral arteriovenous malformations. Neurosurgery 1995;37:619–25.
59. , , , et al. Normal perfusion pressure breakthrough theory. Clin Neurosurg 1978;25:651–72.
60. , , , et al. Is stagnating flow in former feeding arteries an indication of cerebral hypoperfusion after resection of arteriovenous malformations?J Neurosurg 2001;95:36–43.
61. , , , et al. Retrograde thrombosis of feeding arteries after removal of arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg 1990;72:540–5.
62. , , , et al. The significance of retrograde thrombosis following removal of arteriovenous malformations in elderly patients. Surg Neurol 1998;49:399–405.
63. . Microneurosurgery, Vol. IIIB: AVM of the Brain, Clinical Considerations, General and Special Operative Techniques, Surgical Results, Nonoperated Cases, Cavernous and Venous Angiomas, Neuroanesthesia. Stuttgart: Thieme, 1988.