1. . Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation: Principles and Applications. Armonk, NY:Futura Publishing, 2001.
2. , , , et al. Reversal of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive lung disease by inspiratory assistance with a face mask. N Engl J Med 1990; 323: 1523–30.
3. , , , et al. Noninvasive face mask mechanical ventilation in patients with acute hypercapnic respiratory failure. Chest 1991; 100: 445–54.
4. , , , , . Randomized, prospective trial of noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in acute respiratory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 151: 1799–806.
5. , . Ventilators for noninvasive ventilation to treat acute respiratory failure. Respir Care 2008; 53: 1054–80.
6. . Noninvasive ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163: 540–77.
7. , , , . Noninvasive ventilation in acute respiratory failure. Crit Care Med 2007; 35: 2402–7.
8. . Clinical practice guideline: Capnography/capnometry during mechanical ventilation–2003 revision and update. Respir Care 2003; 48: 534–9.
9. , , , et al. End-tidal carbon dioxide in critically ill patients during changes in mechanical ventilation. Am Rev Respir Dis 1989; 140: 1265–8.
10. , , , et al. Predicting the result of noninvasive ventilation in severe acute exacerbation of patients with chronic airflow limitation. Chest 2000; 117: 828–33.
11. , . Equipment needs for noninvasive mechanical ventilation. Eur Respir J 2002; 20: 1029–36.
12. , , , , . Dynamic deadspace in face masks used with non-invasive ventilators: a lung model study. Eur Respir J 2004; 23: 129–35.
13. , , , , . Comparison of different interface during NIV in patients with acute respiratory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167: A389.
14. , , , et al. Accuracy of end-tidal and transcutaneous PCO2 monitoring during sleep. Chest 1994; 106: 472–83.
15. , . Errors in measuring blood gases in the intensive care unit: effect of delay in estimation. J Crit Care 2003; 18: 31–7.
16. , , . Limitations of capnometry for noninvasive ventilation using under-mask gas sampling. Crit Care Med 2007; 35 (Suppl): A234.
17. , . End tidal CO2 measurements with noninvasive ventilation. Society for Technology in Anesthesia (STA), January 13–14, 2009, San Antonio, TX.
18. , . CO2 rebreathing during BiPAP ventilatory assistance. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 151: 1126–35.
19. , , , et al. Evaluation of carbon dioxide rebreathing during pressure support ventilation with airway management system (BiPAP) devices. Chest 1995; 108: 772–8.
20. . Capnometric analysis of carbon dioxide rebreathing during noninvasive positive pressure ventilation with BiPAP. Crit Care Med 2000; 28: A177.
21. , , , . Position of exhalation port and mask design affect CO2 rebreathing during noninvasive positive pressure ventilation. Crit Care Med 2003; 31: 2178–82.
22. . What mask for noninvasive ventilation: is deadspace an issue? Crit Care Med 2003; 31: 2247–8.
23. , , , , . Carbon dioxide rebreathing in non-invasive ventilation: analysis of masks, expiratory ports and ventilatory modes. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 2008; 69: 114–18.
24. , , , et al. Total face mask vs standard full face mask for noninvasive therapy of acute respiratory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167: A996.
25. , , , . Efficacy of a new full face mask for noninvasive positive pressure ventilation. Chest 1994; 106: 1109–15.
26. , , , . Bilevel vs ICU ventilators providing noninvasive ventilation: effect of system leaks: a COPD lung model comparison. Chest 2009; 136: 448–56.
27. . Noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation: the little things do make the difference!Respir Care 2003; 48: 919–21.
28. , , . A multicentre randomized controlled trial of the early use of non-invasive ventilation for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Lancet 2000; 355: 1931–5.
29. , , . Cutaneous carbon dioxide monitoring in adults. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2004; 17: 521–5.