1. The pathophysiology of agitation. J Clin Psychiatry 2000;61:5–10.
2. Delirium: a neurologist’s view-the neurology of agitation and overactivity. Rev Neurol Dis 2010;7:111–18.
3. , , , et al. Neuropsychiatric disorders in persons with severe traumatic brain injury: prevalence, phenomenology, and relationship with demographic, clinical, and functional features. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2011;26:116–26.
4. , , , et al. Heisenberg in the ER: observation appears to reduce involuntary intramuscular injections in a psychiatric emergency service. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2006;2:431–3.
5. , , , , Psychoses of epilepsy: a study comparing the clinical features of patients with focal versus generalized epilepsies. Epilepsy Behav 2011;20:655–8.
6. , Parkinson’s disease: the quintessential neuropsychiatric disorder. Mov Disord 2011;26:1022–31.
7. , , , Corticosteroid induced psychosis in the pain management setting. Pain Physician 2008;11:917–20.
8. , , , et al. Clinical features and management of intoxication due to hallucinogenic drugs. Med Toxicol Adverse Drug Exp 1989;4:324–50.
9. , , , Gender bias in the evaluation of chest pain in the emergency department. Am J Cardiol 1996;77:641–4.
10. Thyroid disease. In: , , , (Eds.). Clinical Methods: the History, Physical, and Laboratory Examinations, (3rd Edition, Chapt. 135). Boston: Butterworths; 1990.
11. , Medication use and major depressive syndrome in a community population. Compr Psychiatry 2001;42:124–31.
12. , , , et al. Mental and psychological conditions, medical comorbidity and functional limitation: differential associations in old adults with cognitive impairment, depressive symptoms and co-existence of both. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2011;26:1071–9.
13. , , Estrogen receptor gene expression in relation to neuropsychiatric disorders. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2003;1007:54–63.
14. , , Serotonin syndrome associated with polypharmacy in the elderly. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2011;33:301.e9–11.
15. , A perfect storm in the emergency department. Neurocrit Care 2010;12:258–60.
16. , , , Movement disorders induced by antipsychotic drugs: implications of the CATIE schizophrenia trial. Neurol Clin 2011;29:127–48.
17. , , Neuroleptic malignant syndrome associated with bromocriptine withdrawal in Parkinson’s disease – a case report. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2011;33:301.e7–8.
18. , , , et al. An international consensus study of neuroleptic malignant syndrome diagnostic criteria using the Delphi method. J Clin Psychiatry 2011;72:1222–8.
19. , , , Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome: proposed diagnostic criteria. J Psychiatry Neurosci 2000;25:255–61.
20. , Hallucination induced by paroxetine discontinuation in patients with major depressive disorders. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2011;65:384–5.
21. Antidepressant discontinuation syndromes. Clinical relevance, prevention and management. Drug Saf 2001;24:183–97.
22. . Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, (4th Edition), Text Revision. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
23. , , Suicide in bipolar disorder: risks and management. CNS Spectr 2006;11:465–71.
24. . Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, (4th Edition), Text Revision. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000:436, 474.
25. , Where do panic attack sufferers seek care?J Fam Pract 1995;40:237–43.
26. , , , et al. Anxiety disorders and risk for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: a population-based longitudinal study of adults. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005;62:1249–57.
27. , , Attendance at the accident and emergency department in the year before suicide: a retrospective study. Br J Psychiatry 2003;183:28–33.
28. , Occult suicidality in an emergency department population. Br J Psychiatry 2005;186:352–3.
29. , , Somatization increases medical utilization and costs independent of psychiatric and medical comborbidity. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005;62:903–10.
30. , , , et al. Depression, anxiety and somatization in primary care: syndrome overlap and functional impairment. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2008;30:191–9.
31. , , , et al. An international study of the relation between somatic symptoms and depression. N Engl J Med 1999;341:1329–35.
32. , , , et al. Clinical policy: critical issues in the diagnosis and management of the adult psychiatric patient in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:79–99.
33. , Clinician safety. Psychiatr Clin North Am 1999;22:923–40.
34. , , , , et al. Treatment of behavioral emergencies: a summary of the expert consensus guidelines. J Psychiatr Pract 2003;9:16–38.
35. , , , et al. What do consumers say they want and need during a psychiatric emergency?J Psychiatr Pract 2003;9:39–58.
36. Restraints: retraumatization for rape victims?J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 1995;33:23–8.
37. . Schizophrenia: Core Interventions in the Treatment and Management of Schizophrenia in Primary and Secondary Care. London: National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE); 2002.
38. , , , et al. The expert consensus guideline series. Treatment of behavioral emergencies 2005. J Psychiatr Pract 2005;11:5–108.
39. Pharmacological management of acute agitation. Drugs 2005;65:1207–22.
40. , , , et al. The expert consensus guideline series. Treatment of behavioral emergencies 2005. J Psychiatr Pract 2005;11:5–108.
41. , , , et al. The safety and early efficacy of oral-loaded divalproex versus standard-titration divalproex, lithium, olanzapine, and placebo in the treatment of acute mania associated with bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:841–6.
42. , , , et al. Level of response and safety of pharmacological monotherapy in the treatment of acute bipolar I disorder phases: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2010;13:813–32.
43. , , , et al. Comparative efficacy of two primary care interventions to assist withdrawal from long term benzodiazepine use: a protocol for a clustered, randomized clinical trial. BMC Fam Pract 2011;12:23.
44. , , , et al. Early adverse events and attrition in SSRI treatment: a suicide assessment methodology study. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2010;30:259–66.
45. , , , et al. Antidepressants and risks of suicide and suicide attempts: a 27-year observational study. J Clin Psychiatry 2011;72:580–6.
46. , , , et al. Effectiveness of adjunctive antidepressant treatment for bipolar depression. N Engl J Med 2007;356:1711–22.
47. , The induction of mania: a natural history study with controls. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1982;39:303–6.
48. , , , et al. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with major depressive disorder, (3rd Edition). American Psychiatric Association. Am J Psychiatry 2010;167:23–4.
49. , Managing antipsychotic-induced acute and chronic akathisia. Drug Saf 2000;22:73–81.
50. , , , et al. Low-dose mirtazapine: a new option in the treatment of antipsychotic-induced akathisia. A randomized, double-blind, placebo- and propranolol-controlled trial. Biol Psychiatry 2006;59:1071–7.