1. , , , , . Trends in U.S. Emergency Department Visits for Mental Health Conditions, 1992–2001. Psychiatr Serv 2005;56:671–7.
2. , . Introduction: reconsidering psychiatry in the emergency department. J Emerg Med [Epub ahead of print].
3. , . Agitation: what every emergency physician should know. Emerg Med Rep 2009;30:233–44.
4. , , , . National hospital ambulatory medical care survey: 2006 emergency department summary. Natl Health Stat Rep 2008;7:1–38.
5. , , (Eds.). The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud. New York: New York Modern Library; 1938:973.
6. , , . Emergency medical evaluation of psychiatric patients. Ann Emerg Med 1994;23:859–62.
7. . Evidence based evaluation of psychiatric patients. J Emerg Med 2005;28:35–9.
8. , . Evaluation of the psychiatric patient. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2009;27:669–83.
9. , , , et al. Delirium in an older emergency department patients: recognition, risk factors, and psychomotor subtypes. Acad Emerg Med 2009;16:193–200.
10. , , . Medical Screening in the Emergency Department for Psychiatric admissions: a procedural analysis. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2004;26:405–10.
11. , . Application of a medical clearance protocol. Prim Psychiatry 2007;14:47–51.
12. , , Gonzales SJ. Utilization of emergency department by psychiatric patients. Prim Psychiatry 2009;16:60–4.
13. , , . A screening tool to medically clear psychiatric patients in the emergency department. J Emerg Med [Epub ahead of print].
. Society and Solitude
: Houghton, Osgood, and Company
. Available at: http://books.google.com/
(Accessed November 1, 2011
15. , , . Prospective evaluation of emergency department medical clearance. Ann Emerg Med 1994;4:672–7.
16. , , . Unrecognized medical emergencies admitted to psychiatric units. Am J Emerg Med 2000;18:390–3.
17. , , , et al. Clinical policy: critical issues in the diagnosis and management of the adult psychiatric patient in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:79–99.
18. , , , . Comparison of EPs’ and psychiatrists’ laboratory assessment of psychiatric patients. Am J Emerg Med 2004;22:175–80.
19. , , , , . Unrecognized physical illness prompting psychiatric admission: a prospective study. Am J Psychiatry 1981;5:629–35.
20. , , . Laboratory findings in emergently medicated psychiatric patients. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2004;26:411–14.
21. , , , et al. Medical clearance and screening of psychiatric patients in the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 1997;2:124–8.
22. , , . “Medical clearance” of psychiatric patients without medical complaints in the emergency department. J Emerg Med 2000;2:173–6.
23. , . Medical clearance of the psychiatric patient in the emergency department. J Emerg Med [Epub ahead of print].
24. , . Routine laboratory testing to evaluate for medical illness in psychiatric patients in the emergency department is largely unrevealing. West J Emerg Med 2009;2:97–100.
25. , , , et al. Emergency physician practices and requirements regarding the medical screening examination of the psychiatric patients. Acad Emerg Med 2002;9:88–92.
26. , , , . A validation of self-reported substance use with biochemical testing among patients presenting to the emergency department seeking treatment for backache, headache, and toothache. Subst Use Misuse 2008;43:589–95.
27. , , . Utility of routine drug screening in a psychiatric emergency setting. Psychiatr Serv 2000;51:474–8.
28. , , , et al. Psychiatric patients in the pediatric emergency department undergoing routine urine toxicology screens for medical clearance: results and use. Pediatr Emerg Care 2009;25:387–92.
29. , , , et al. Screening urine for drugs of abuse in the emergency department: do test results affect physician’s patient care decisions?CJEM 2004;6:104–11.
30. , , , , . Evaluation of a urine on-site drugs of abuse screening test in patients admitted to a psychiatric emergency unit. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2009;29:248–54.
31. , . Physical illnesses underlying psychiatric symptoms. Psychother Psychosom 1992;58:155–60.
32. . Emergency evaluation of adolescents. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1992;43:617–21.
33. , . Psychiatric symptoms produced by over-the-counter drugs. Psychosomatics 1982;23:186–90.
34. . Pharmacologic issues in geriatric emergency medicine. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2006;24:449–65.
35. , , , et al. Medical evaluation and triage of the agitated patient: consensus statement of the American Association for Emergency Psychiatry Project BETA medical evaluation workgroup. West J Emerg Med 2012;13:3–10.
36. , , , et al. Psychiatric manifestations of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Psychosomatics 1982;4:337–42.
37. , , . Psychiatric manifestations of systemic illness. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2000;18:199–209.
38. , . Twenty per hour: altered mental state due to ethanol abuse and withdrawal. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2010;28:683–705.
39. , . ABC of psychological medicine: delirium. BMJ 2002;325:644–7.
40. , , , et al. Inappropriate psychiatric admission on elderly patients with unrecognized delirium. South Med J 2010;103:111–15.
41. , . A quantifiable, brief mental status examination for emergency patients. J Emerg Med 1995;13:449–56.
42. , , , , . Validation of the quick confusion scale for mental status screening in the emergency department. Intern Emerg Med 2007;2:130–2.