1. The clinical application of the biopsychosocial model. Am J Psychiatry 1980; 137: 535–44.
2. The need for a new medical model: A challenge for biomedicine. Science. 1977; 196: 129–36.
3. , , , . Behavioral medicine. In Psychiatry, Vol. 2, 3rd edn. eds. , , , and . (Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, 2008), pp. 2027–46.
4. , Behavioral medicine revisited: An amended definition. J Behav Med 1978; 1: 249–51.
5. Pain terms: A list with definitions and notes on usage. Pain 1979; 6: 249–52.
6. , Chronic pain as a variant of depressive disease: The pain-prone personality. J Nerv Ment Dis 1982; 170: 381–94.
7. , , . Chronic low back pain: A psychological profile. Psychosomatics 1974; 15: 174–7.
8. , , eds. Anxiety, depression and anger: Core components of negative affect in medical populations. In The SAGE Handbook of Personality Theory and Testing: Volume 1: Personality Theories and Models, eds. G Boyle, D Matthews and D Saklofske. (London: Sage, 2008).
9. . Behavioral Methods for Chronic Pain and Illness (St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 1976).
10. , , . Chronic pain in a couples context: A review and integration of theoretical models and empirical evidence. J Pain 2006; 7: 377–90.
11. , , , et al. Chronic pain patient-spouse behavioral interactions predict pain disability. Pain 1995; 63: 353–60.
12. , . Patterns of pain relevant social interactions. Int J Beh Med 1995; 2: 157–71.
13. , , . Pain and Behavioral Medicine: A Cognitive Behavioral Perspective (New York: Guildford, 1983).
14. , . Pain-related catastrophizing: What is it? Clin J Pain 2001; 17: 65–71.
15. , . Fear avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A state of the art. Pain. 2000; 85: 317–22.
16. , , , , . Self-efficacy as a mediator of the relationship between these psychological, behavioral, and social variables and the experience of pain and disability. Strategies for the reliable assessment of pain intensity, disability and depression in chronic pain patients. Pain 1999; 80: 483–91.
17. . Self-efficacy and perceived control: Cognitive mediators of pain tolerance. J Pers Soc Psych 1988; 54: 149–60.
18. , . Coping or acceptance: What to do about chronic pain? Pain 2003; 105: 197–204.
19. , , , et al. Core outcome domains for pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations. Pain 2003; 106: 337–45.
20. , , , , . Pain as the 5th Vital Sign Toolkit. V.2. Washington, DC: Veterans Health Administration.
21. , , . Practical implications of item response theory and computer adaptive testing: A brief summary of ongoing studies of widely used headache impact scales. Med Care 2000; 38: II73–82.
22. . Polypharmacy treatment approaches to psychiatric and somatic comorbidities of chronic pain. Am J Phys Med Rehab 2005; 84: 556–63.
23. , O’ , , et al. Management of chronic tension-type headache with tricyclic antidepressant medication, stress management, and their combination. JAMA 2001; 285: 2208–15.
24. PR, , . Meta-analysis of psychological interventions for chronic low back pain. Health Psychol 2007; 26: 10–12.
25. , , , et al. Recent advances and future directions in the biopsychosocial assessment and treatment of arthritis. J Consult Clin Psychol 2002; 70: 459–62.
26. , , Efficacy of multidisciplinary pain treatment centers: A meta-analytic review. Pain 1992; 49: 221–30.
27. , . A critical review of the pain readiness to change model. J Pain 2004; 5: 357–67.
28. , , . Motivational issues in pain self-management. Proceedings of the 11th World Congress on Pain, eds. , and . (IASP Press: Seattle, 2006), pp. 555–66.
29. , . Psychological factors in chronic pain: Evolution and revolution. J Consult Clin Psycho 2002; 70: 678–90.
30. , , , et al. Optimized antidepressant treatment and pain self-management in primary care patients with depression and musculoskeletal pain. JAMA 2009; 301: 2099–110.
31. . Translational pain research: Achievements and challenges. J Pain 2009; 10: 1001–11.
32. , , , et al. Trends in funding for research on pain: A report on the National Institutes of Health grant awards over the years 2003–2007. J Pain 2008; 9: 1077–87.
33. . Chronic Pain: A primary care guide to practical management, 2nd edn. (New York: Springer, 2009).