1. . Pediatric bipolar disorder: the new perspective on severe mood dysfunction in children. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2003;13(4):449–51.
2. , . Psychopharmacology in child and adolescent psychiatry: A review of the past seven years. part II. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1995;34(10):1262–72.
3. . Evaluation and treatment of adolescent substance abuse: a decision tree method. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1990;42:1486.
4. . Historical development and present status of the schedule for affective disorders and schizophrenia for school-age children (K-SADS). J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2000;39(1):49–58.
5. , , , . Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders-Clinician Version (SCID-CV). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press; 1997.
6. . Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist/4–18 and the 1991 Profile. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry; 1991.
7. , , , , . Latent class analysis shows strong heritability of the CBCL-juvenile bipolar phenotype. Biol Psychiatry. 2006;60(9):903–11.
8. , , , , . The CBCL predicts DSM bipolar disorder in children: A receiver operating characteristic curve analysis. Bipolar Disord. 2005;7(6):518–24.
9. , , , , . Prevalence and genetic architecture of Child Behavior Checklist-juvenile bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2005;58(7):562–8.
10. , , , . A preliminary meta-analysis of the Child Behavior Checklist in pediatric bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;53(11):1021–7.
11. , , , et al. Prevalence of psychopathology in children of a bipolar parent. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40(9):1094–102.
12. , . Manic symptoms in psychiatrically hospitalized children -- what do they mean? J Affect Disord. 1998;51(2):123–35.
13. , , , . Prepubertal and young adolescent bipolarity versus ADHD: assessment and validity using the WASH-U-KSADS, CBCL and TRF. J Affect Disord. 1998;51:93–100.
14. , , . Confirmation that Child Behavior Checklist clinical scales discriminate juvenile mania from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Paediatr Child Health. 1999;35:199–203.
15. , , , , . The prevalence and genetic architecture of CBCL-juvenile bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2005;58(7):562–8.
16. , , . Bipolar disorders in a community sample of older adolescents: prevalence, phenomenology, comorbidity, and course. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1995;34(4):454–63.
17. , , , et al. The child behavior checklist-pediatric bipolar disorder profile predicts a subsequent diagnosis of bipolar disorder and associated impairments in ADHD youth growing up: a longitudinal analysis. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70(5):732–40.
18. , , , et al. Towards defining deficient emotional self regulation in youth with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder using the CBCL: a controlled study. Postgrad Med. 2011;123(5):50–9.
19. , , , et al. Clinical and diagnostic implications of lifetime attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder comorbidity in adults with bipolar disorder: data from the first 1000 STEP-BD participants. Biol Psychiatry. 2005;57(11):1467–73.
20. , , , et al. The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10. J Clin Psychiatry. 1998;59(Suppl 20):22–33; quiz 34–57.
21. , , , et al. Patterns of comorbidity and dysfunction in clinically referred preschoolers with bipolar disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2003;13(4):495–505.
22. , , , et al. Complex and rapid-cycling in bipolar children and adolescents: A preliminary study. J Affect Disord. 1995;34:259–68.
23. , , , , . Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adolescent mania. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152(2):271–3.
24. , , , et al. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and juvenile mania: an overlooked comorbidity? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35(8):997–1008.
25. , , , et al. Is comorbidity with ADHD a marker for juvenile onset mania?J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997;36(8):1046–55.
26. , , , . Comorbidity of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with early- and late-onset bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157(3):466–8.
27. , , . Psychiatric phenomenology of child and adolescent bipolar offspring. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2000;39(4):453–60.
28. , , , et al. The comorbidity of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in bipolar disorder patients. Compr Psychiatry. 2013;54:549–55.
29. , , , et al. Moderating effects of major depression on patterns of comorbidity in referred adults with panic disorder: a controlled study. Psychiatry Res. 2004;126(2):143–9.
30. , , , et al. The prevalence and correlates of adult ADHD in the United States: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163(4):716–23.
31. , , , . Bipolar and antisocial disorders among relatives of ADHD children: parsing familial subtypes of illness. Am J Med Genet. 1998;81(1):108–16.
32. , , , et al. Can adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder be distinguished from those with comorbid bipolar disorder: findings from a sample of clinically referred adults. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54(1):1–8.
33. , , , . DSM-III disorders in preadolescent children: Prevalence in a large sample from the general population. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1987;44:69–76.
34. , , . Comorbidity of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with conduct, depressive, anxiety, and other disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148(5):564–77.
35. , , , et al. Estimates of the prevalence of childhood maladjustment in a community survey in Puerto Rico: the use of combined measures. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988;45:1120–6.
36. , , . Depression and symptoms of attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1988;27(6):742–7.
37. , , . Psychiatric comorbidity in patients with attention deficit disorder: a controlled study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1987;26(6):844–8.
38. , , , et al. Childhood comorbidity of anxiety/affective disorders and behavior disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1989;28(5):707–13.
39. , , . Comorbidity. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1999;40(1):57–87.
40. , , . Rate and predictors of prepubertal bipolarity during follow-up of 6- to 12-year-old depressed children. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1994;33(4):461–8.
41. , , , , . Bipolar disorder at prospective follow-up of adults who had prepubertal major depressive disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158(1):125–7.
42. , , , et al. Risk for switch from unipolar to bipolar disorder in youth with ADHD: a long term prospective controlled study. J Affect Disord. 2009;119(1–3):16–21.
43. , , , et al. Re-examining the risk for switch from unipolar to bipolar major depressive disorder in youth with ADHD: A long term prospective longitudinal controlled study. J Affect Disord. 2014;152–154:347–51.
44. , , , , . Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and comorbid disorders: issues of overlapping symptoms. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152(12):1793–9.
45. , , , , . A pilot family study of childhood-onset mania. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1995;34(12):1577–83.
46. , , , et al. The naturalistic course of pharmacologic treatment of children with manic-like symptoms: a systematic chart review. J Clin Psychiatry. 1998;59(11):628–37; quiz 338.
47. , . Is there a relationship between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder? J Affect Disord. 2003;73(3):211–21.
48. , . A systematic review of rates and diagnostic validity of comorbid adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;68:1776–84.
49. , , , et al. Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder – bipolar comorbidity in children and adolescents. Bipolar Disord. 2006;8:373–81.
50. , , . Comorbidity of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder in juvenile bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2006;8:182–7.
51. , , , et al. Developmental pathways for different subtypes of early-onset bipolarity in youths. J Clin Psychiatry. 2012;73(10):1335–41.
52. , , , . Adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in patients with bipolar I in remission: Preliminary Study. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006;60:480–5.
53. , , . Adult ADHD and its comorbidities, with a focus on bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord. 2010;124(1–2):1–8.
54. , , , et al. Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms in Italian bipolar adult patients: a preliminary report. J Affect Disord. 2013;149:430–4.
55. , , , et al. A history of childhood attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) impacts clinical outcome in adult bipolar patients regardless of current ADHD. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2009;120(3):239–46.
56. , , , et al. Bipolar disorders and quality of life: The impact of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and substance abuse in euthymic patients. Psychiatry Res. 2008;161:36–42.
57. , , , et al. Is ADHD a risk factor for psychoactive substance use disorders? Findings from a four-year prospective follow-up study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997;36(1):21–9.
58. . Executive functions and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Implications of two conflicting views. Int J Disabil Dev Educ. 2006;53(1):35–46.
59. , . Methods in psychiatric genetics. In: , , , eds. Textbook in Psychiatric Epidemiology. New York, NY: John Wiley. 1995; 81–134.
60. , , . Genetics and Mental Disorders: A Guide for Students, Clinicians, and Researchers. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 1999.
61. , , . The genetics of pediatric onset bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;53(11):970–7.
62. , , , , . Prevalence of adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in the relatives of patients with bipolar disorder. Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract. 2012;16(3):223–8.
63. , , , , . Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder with bipolar disorder: a familial subtype? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997;36(10):1378–87; discussion 1387–90.
64. , , , et al. Psychiatric disorders in preschool offspring of parents with bipolar disorder: the Pittsburgh Bipolar Offspring Study (BIOS). Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167(3):321–30.
65. , , , et al. Parents with bipolar disorder: are disease characteristics good predictors of psychopathology in offspring? Eur Psychiatry. 2013;28(4):240–6.
66. , , , et al. Clinical, demographic, and familial correlates of bipolar spectrum disorders among offpsring of parents with bipolar disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010;49(4):388–96.
67. , , . Examining the comorbidity between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar I disorder: a meta-analysis of family genetic studies. Am J Psychiatry. 2012;169(12):1256–66.
68. , , , et al. Further evidence that pediatric-onset bipolar disorder comorbid with ADHD represents a distinct subtype: results from a large controlled family study. J Psychiatr Res. 2013;47(1):15–22.
69. , , . Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with bipolar disorder in girls: further evidence for a familial subtype? J Affect Disord. 2001;64(1):19–26.
70. , , , et al. Frontostriatal neuroimaging findings differ in patients with bipolar disorder who have or do not have ADHD comorbidity. J Affect Disord. 2013;147(1–3):389–96.
71. , , , et al. Towards further understanding of the co-morbidity between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder: a MRI study of brain volumes. Psychol Med. 2008;38(7):1045–56.
72. , , , et al. Further understanding of the comorbidity between attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder in adults: An MRI study of cortical thickness. Psychiatry Res. 2012;202(1):1–11.
73. , , , et al. ADHD comorbidity can matter when assessing cortical thickness abnormalities in patients with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2012;14(8):843–55.
74. , , , et al. Differences in brain chemistry in children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with and without comorbid bipolar disorder: a proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163(2):316–18.
75. , , , et al. Prescribing patterns for treatment of pediatric bipolar disorder in a specialty clinic. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2009;19(5):529–38.
76. , , , et al. The Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) task force recommendations for the management of patients with mood disorders and comorbid attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2012;24(1):23–7.
77. , , , et al. Treatment guidelines for children and adolescents with bipolar disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2005;44(3):213–35.
78. , . A pharmacological approach to the quagmire of comorbidity in juvenile mania. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35(6):826–8.
79. , , , et al. Risperidone treatment for ADHD in children and adolescents with bipolar disorder. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2008;4(1):203–7.
80. , , , et al. A prospective open-label trial of extended-release carbamazepine monotherapy in children with bipolar disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2010;20(1):7–14.
81. , , , et al. Aripiprazole in children and adolescents with bipolar disorder comorbid with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a pilot randomized clinical trial. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70(5):756–64.
82. , , , et al. Early childhood attention deficit hyperactivity disorder predicts poorer response to acute lithium therapy in adolescent mania. J Affect Disord. 1998;51:145–51.
83. , , , et al. Chart review of the impact of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder comorbidity on response to lithium or divalproex sodium in adolescent mania. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;65(8):1057–63.
84. , , , . Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of mixed amphetamine salts for symptoms of comorbid ADHD in pediatric bipolar disorder after mood stabilization with divalproex sodium. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162(1):58–64.
85. , , , et al. Methylphenidate in the treatment of children and adolescents with bipolar disorder and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46(11):1445–53.
86. , , , , . Methylphenidate combined with aripiprazole in children and adolescents with bipolar and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized crossover trial. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2009;19(5):553–61.
87. , , , et al. An open trial of bupropion for the treatment of adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54(1):9–16.
88. , , , . Atomoxetine as an adjunct therapy in the treatment of co-morbid attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents with bipolar I or II disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2009;19(5):547–51.