THOMAS BACON, of Gonville hall, was B.A. 1519, M.A. 1521, and afterwards B.D. and chaplain to Henry VIII., by whom he was presented to the rectory of Barrow Suffolk, to which he was instituted 28 April 1539. He was also a canon of the collegiate church of Stokeby- Clare, vicar of Hoxne, and rector of Brandon, all in Suffolk. He was admitted canon of Ely 15 March 1543-4, and elected master of Gonville hall 1552. We find him present at Ely at the condemnation of Wolsey and Pigot for heresy 9 Oct. 1555. He was appointed the first master of the new foundation of Gonville and Caius college, by the charter of 4 Sept. 1557, being therein designated B.D., although his grace for the degree of D.D. had passed 12 Feb. 1556-7. He died at Sheffield in Kent 1 Jan. 1558-9. He had a brother Nicholas who was a merchant in London. On 16 Jan. 1558-9 the vicechancellor empowered John Young, D.D., master of Pembroke hall, Thomas Peacock, B.D., president of Queens' college, and John Bickerdike, B.D., to take an inventory of his goods, he having died intestate.