1. The neurohormonal hypothesis: a theory to explain the mechanism of disease progression in heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992; 20: 248–54.
2. , , , et al. Exhaustion of Frank–Starling mechanism in conscious dogs with heart failure. Am J Physiol 1993; 265: H1119–H1131.
3. , . Medical advances in the treatment of congestive heart failure. Circulation 1993; 88: 2941–52.
4. , . Levosimendan, a new inotropic and vasodilator agent. Anesthesiology 2006; 104: 556–69.
5. , . Practical guidelines for initiation of beta-adrenergic blockade in patients with chronic heart failure. Am J Cardiol 1997; 79: 794–8.
6. , , , et al. ACC/AHA/HRS 2008 guidelines for device-based therapy of cardiac rhythm abnormalities: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to revise the ACC/AHA/NASPE for implantation of cardiac pacemakers and antiarrhythmia devices) developed in collaboration with the American Association for Thoracic Surgery and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: e1–e62.
7. , , , et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled evaluation of calcium chloride and epinephrine for inotropic support after emergence from cardiopulmonary bypass. Anesth Analg 1992; 74: 3–13.
8. . The Digitalis Investigation Group. N Engl J Med 1997; 336: 525–33.
9. , . Digitalis. Circulation 1999; 99: 1265–70.
10. , , . Beta-adrenergic receptors and receptor signaling in heart failure. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 1999; 39: 343–60.
11. , , , et al. Acute depression of myocardial beta-adrenergic receptor signaling during cardiopulmonary bypass. Impairment of the adenylyl cyclase moiety. Duke Heart Center Perioperative Desensitization Group. Anesthesiology 1998; 89: 602–11.
12. , , , et al. Epinephrine and left ventricular function in humans: effects of beta-1 vs nonselective beta blockade. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1988; 43: 519–28.
13. , , , et al. Dobutamine increases heart rate more than epinephrine in patients recovering from aortocoronary bypass surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 1992; 6: 535–41.
14. , , , et al. Perioperative use of dobutamine in cardiac surgery and adverse cardiac outcome: propensity-adjusted analyses. Anesthesiology 2008; 108: 979–87.
15. , , , et al. Pharmacokinetics of dopamine in healthy male subjects. Anesthesiology 2000; 92: 338–46.
16. , . Management of perioperative ventricular dysfunction. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2001; 15: 90–106.
17. , , , et al. Meta-analysis: low-dose dopamine increases urine output but does not prevent renal dysfunction or death. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142: 510–24.
18. , . Dopexamine hydrochloride. A review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties and therapeutic potential in acute cardiac insufficiency. Drugs 1990; 39: 308–30.
19. , , , et al. Hemodynamic and renal effects of dopexamine and dobutamine in patients with reduced cardiac output following coronary artery bypass grafting. Chest 1994; 106: 835–41.
20. , , , et al. Effects of dopexamine on creatinine clearance, systemic inflammation, and splanchnic oxygenation in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. Anesth Analg 1997; 84: 950–7.
21. , , , et al. Influence of positive inotropic therapy on pulsatile hydraulic load and ventricular-vascular coupling in congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 1990; 15: 1127–35.
22. , , , et al. Dynamics of functional mitral regurgitation during dobutamine therapy in patients with severe congestive heart failure: a Doppler echocardiograhic study. Am Heart J 1989; 118: 748–54.
23. , , , et al. Changes in regional myocardial function after coronary artery bypass are predicted by intraoperative low-dose dobutamine echocardiography. Anesthesiology 2000; 93: 685–92.
24. , , , et al. In-hospital mortality in patients with acute decompensated heart failure requiring intravenous vasoactive medications: an analysis from the Acute Decompensated Heart Failure National Registry (ADHERE). J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 46: 57–64.
25. , , , et al. Efficacy and safety of intravenous levosimendan compared to dobutamine in severe low-output heart failure (the LIDO study): a randomised double blind trial. Lancet 2002; 360: 196–202.
26. , , , et al. Dobutamine for inotropic support during emergence from cardiopulmonary bypass. Anesthesiology 1976; 44: 281–6.
27. , , , et al. Sarcoplasmic reticulum-associated cyclic adenosine 5′-monophosphate phosphodiesterase activity in normal and failing human hearts. J Clin Invest 1991; 88: 15–19.
28. , , , et al. Contribution of phosphodiesterase isozymes to the regulation of L-type calcium current in human cardiac myocytes. Br J Pharmacol 1997; 121: 1549–56.
29. , . Phospholamban: a prominent regulator of myocardial contractility. Circ Res 1996; 79: 1059–63.
30. , , , et al. A placebo-controlled trial verifying the efficacy of milrinone in weaning high-risk patients from cardiopulmonary bypass. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 1997; 11: 37–41.
31. , , , et al. Hemodynamic and inotropic effects of milrinone after heart transplantation in the setting of recipient pulmonary hypertension. J Heart Lung Transplant 1998; 17: 669–78.
32. , . Short-term use of intravenous milrinone for heart failure. Am J Cardiol 1995; 75: 822–6.
33. , , , et al. Electrophysiologic and proarrhythmic effects of intravenous inotropic agents. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 1995; 38: 167–80.
34. , , , et al. Inhibitory effect of milrinone on cytokine production after cardiopulmonary bypass. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 68: 1661–7.
35. , , , et al. Vasorelaxant actions of enoximone, dobutamine, and the combination on human arterial coronary bypass grafts. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1999; 34: 741–8.
36. , , , et al. Effect of oral milrinone on mortality in severe chronic heart failure. The PROMISE Study Research Group. N Engl J Med 1991; 325: 1468–75.
37. , , , et al. Low dose enoximone improves exercise capacity in chronic heart failure. Enoximone Study Group. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36: 501–8.
38. , , , et al. Combined oral positive inotropic and beta-blocker therapy for the treatment of refractory Class IV heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998; 31: 1336–40.
39. , , , et al. The effects of milrinone on platelets in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 1995; 81: 44–8.
40. , , , et al. A multicenter, randomized, blind comparison of amrinone and milrinone after elective cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 1998; 86: 683–90.
41. . Intravenous milrinone following cardiac surgery: II. Influence of baseline hemodynamics and patient factors on therapeutic response. The European Milrinone Multicentre Trial Group. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 1992; 6: 563–7.
42. , , , et al. A pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of milrinone in adults undergoing cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 1995; 81: 783–92.
43. , , , et al. Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of milrinone administration to increase oxygen delivery in critically ill patients. Chest 1996; 109: 1291–301.
44. , , , et al. Amrinone and dobutamine as primary treatment of low cardiac output syndrome following coronary artery surgery: a comparison of their effects on hemodynamics and outcome. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 1992; 6: 542–53.
45. , , , et al. Amrinone in cardiac surgical patients with left-ventricular dysfunction: a prospective, randomized placebo-controlled trial. Chest 1993; 104: 1660–7.
46. , , , et al. Combined inotropic effects of amrinone and epinephrine after cardiopulmonary bypass in humans. Anesth Analg 1993; 77: 662–72.
47. , , , et al. Levosimendan improves LV systolic and diastolic performance at rest and during exercise after heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2005; 288: H914–22.
48. , . Myocardial calcium signaling and arrhythmia pathogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 2004; 322: 1286–9.
49. , , , et al. Executive summary of the guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of acute heart failure. The Task Force on Acute Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 2005; 26: 384–416.
50. , , , et al. Cardiac troponin C as a target for a novel calcium sensitzing drug, levosimendan. J Mol Cell Cardiol 1995; 27: 1859–66.
51. , , . Troponin C-mediated calcium sensitization by levosimendan accelerates the proportional development of isometric tension. J Mol Cell Cardiol 1995; 27: 2155–65.
52. , , , et al. Orally available levosimendan dose-related positive inotropic and lusitropic effect in conscious chronically instrumented normal and heart failure dogs. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2008; 325: 236–47.
53. , , , et al. Myofibrillar Ca2+ sensitization predominantly enhances function and mechanical efficiency of stunned myocardium. Circulation 1994; 90: 959–69.
54. , , , et al. Troponin C-mediated calcium sensitization induced by levosimendan does not impair relaxation. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1995; 25: 794–801.
55. , , , et al. Direct myocardial effects of levosimendan in humans with left ventricular dysfunction: alteration of force-frequency and relaxation-frequency relationships. Circulation 2007; 115: 1218–24.
56. , . Effects of levosimendan on restrictive left ventricular filling in severe heart failure: a combined hemodynamic and Doppler echocardiographic study. Chest 2005; 128: 2633–9.
57. , , , et al. Functional role of potassium channels in the vasodilating mechanism of levosimendan in porcine isolated coronary artery. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 2003; 17: 115–21.
58. , , . Levosimendan, a calcium sensitizer in cardiac muscle, induces relaxation in coronary smooth muscle through calcium desensitization. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 288:316–325, 1999.
59. , . Mechanisms of action of calcium-sensitizing drugs. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1995; 26: S10–S19.
60. , , , et al. The novel calcium sensitizer levosimendan activates the ATP-sensitive K+ channel in rat ventricular cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1997; 283: 375–83.
61. , , . Levosimendan is a mitochondrial KATP channel opener. Eur J Pharmacol 2001; 428: 311–14.
62. , , , et al. Levosimendan, a positive inotropic agent, decreases myocardial infarct size via activation of KATP channels. Anesth Analg 2000; 90: 5–11.
63. , , , et al. The calcium sensitizer levosimendan improves the function of stunned myocardium after percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty in acute myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004; 43: 2177–82.
64. , , . Utility of levosimendan, a new calcium sensitizing agent, in the treatment of cardiogenic shock due to myocardial stunning in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction: a series of cases. J Clin Pharmacol 2005; 45: 704–8.
65. , , , et al. Preconditioning effects of levosimendan in coronary artery bypass grafting – a pilot study. Br J Anaesth 2006; 96: 694–700.
66. , , , et al. Hemodynamic effects of intravenous pimobendan in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1989; 14:S41–S44.
67. , , . Hemodynamic and myocardial energetic changes induced by the new cardiotonic agent, AR-L 115, in patients with coronary artery disease. Am Heart J 1982; 104: 1294–302.
68. , , , et al. Effects of levosimendan on myocardial contractility and oxygen consumption. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1996; 279: 120–7.
69. , , , et al. Beneficial effects of pimobendan on exercise tolerance and quality of life in patients with heart failure. Results of a multicenter trial. The Pimobendan Multicenter Research Group. Circulation 1992; 85: 942–9.
70. , , , et al. Effect of pimobendan on exercise capacity in patients with heart failure: main results from the Pimobendan in Congestive Heart Failure (PICO) trial. Heart 1996; 76: 223–31.
71. , , , et al. Hemodynamic and neurohormonal effects of continuous infusion of levosimendan in patients with congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36: 1903–12.
72. , , , et al. Acute hemodynamic and clinical effects of levosimendan in patients with severe heart failure. Circulation 2000; 102: 2222–7.
73. , , , et al. Safety and efficacy of a novel calcium sensitizer, levosimendan, in patients with left ventricular failure due to an acute myocardial infarction. A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study (RUSSLAN). Eur Heart J 2002; 23: 1422–32.
74. , , , et al. Short-term intravenous milrinone for acute exacerbation of chronic heart failure: a controlled randomized clinical trial. Outcomes of a Prospective Trial of Intravenous Milrinone for Exacerbations of Chronic Heart Failure (OPTIME-CHF) Investigators. JAMA 2002; 287: 1578–80.
75. , , , et al. Cardiogenic shock after percutaneous coronary intervention: effects of levosimendan compared with dobutamine on haemodynamics. Eur J Heart Fail 2006; 8: 723–8.
76. , , , et al. Effects of levosimendan versus dobutamine on inflammatory and apoptotic pathways in acutely decompensated chronic heart failure. Am J Cardiol 2006; 98: 102–6.
77. , , , et al. Effects of a new calcium sensitizer, levosimendan, on haemodynamics, coronary blood flow and myocardial substrate utilization early after coronary artery bypass grafting. Eur Heart J 1998; 19: 660–8.
78. , , , et al. Hemodynamic effects of levosimendan in patients with low-output heart failure after cardiac surgery. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004; 42: 204–11.
79. , , . Levosimendan in cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2005; 19: 345–9.
80. , , , et al. Levosimendan in off-pump coronary artery bypass: a four-times masked controlled study. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2004; 44: 703–8.
81. , , , et al. Effects of levosimendan in cardiac surgery patients with poor left ventricular function. Anesth Analg 2007; 104: 766–73.
82. , , . Sustained hemodynamic effects of intravenous levosimendan. Circulation 2003; 107: 81–6.
83. . Prevalence and clinical implications of abnormal thyroid hormone metabolism in advanced heart failure. Ann Thorac Surg 1993; 56: S48–S52.
84. , , , et al. Positive inotropic and lusitropic effects of triiodothyronine in conscious dogs with pacing-induced cardiomyopathy. Anesthesiology 1997; 87: 102–9.
85. , , , et al. Effects of thyroid hormone on the calcium current and isoprenaline-induced background current in rabbit ventricular myocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol 1994; 26: 925–35.
86. , , , et al. Triiodothyronine increases contractility independent of beta-adrenergic receptors or stimulation of cyclic-3’,5’-adenosine monophosphate. Anesthesiology 1995; 82: 1004–12.
87. , , , et al. Effect of triiodothyronine on postishemic myocardial function in the isolated heart. Ann Thorac Surg 1994; 57: 657–62.
88. , , , et al. Left ventricular performance and remodeling in rabbits after myocardial infarction. Effects of a thyroid hormone analogue. Circulation 1995; 91: 794–801.
89. , , , et al. Usefulness of L-thyroxine to improve cardiac and exercise performance in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 1994; 73: 374–8.
90. , , , et al. Thyroid hormone changes after cardiovascular surgery and clinical implications. Ann Thorac Surg 1991; 52: 791–6.
91. , , , et al. Triiodothyronine therapy for heart donor and recipient. J Heart Transplant 1988; 7: 370–6.
92. , , , et al. Effects of triiodothyronine supplementation after myocardial ischemia. Ann Thorac Surg 1993; 56: 215–22.
93. , , , et al. Cardiovascular effects of intravenous triiodothyronine in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Duke T3 study group. JAMA 1996; 275: 687–92.
94. , , , et al. Dobutamine antagonizes epinephrine's biochemical and cardiotonic effects: results of an in vitro model using human lymphocytes and a clinical study in patients recovering from cardiac surgery. Anesthesiology 1998; 89: 49–57.
95. , , , et al. Calcium entry attenuates adenylyl cyclase activity: a possible mechanism for calcium-induced catecholamine resistance. Chest 1995; 107: 1420–5.
96. , , , et al. Levosimendan potentiates the inotropic actions of dopamine in conscious dogs. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1996; 28: 36–47.