1. , , , et al. Accuracy of body mass index to diagnose obesity in the US adult population. Int J Obes (Lond) 2008; 32: 959–66.
2. , , , et al. Metabolic syndrome increases operative mortality in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 50: 843–51.
3. , . Obstructive sleep apnea: preoperative assessment. Anesthesiol Clin 2010; 28: 199–215.
4. , , , et al. Obesity hypoventilation syndrome: hypoxemia during continuous positive airway pressure. Chest 2007; 131: 1678–84.
5. , , , et al. Clinical guideline for the evaluation, management and long-term care of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. J Clin Sleep Med 2009; 5: 263–76.
6. , , , et al. Clinical relevance of arrhythmias during sleep: guidance for clinicians. Heart 2004; 90: 347–52.
7. , , , et al. Neck circumference to thyromental distance ratio: a new predictor of difficult intubation in obese patients. Br J Anaesth 2011; 106: 743–8.
8. , , , et al. Desflurane versus sevoflurane for laparoscopic gastroplasty in morbidly obese patients. J Clin Anesth 2007; 19: 3–8.
9. , , , et al. Postoperative results after desflurane or sevoflurane combined with remifentanil in morbidly obese patients. Obes Surg 2006; 16: 728–33.
10. , , , et al. Xenon anesthesia improves respiratory gas exchanges in morbidly obese patients. J Obes 2010; 2010: 421593.
11. , , , et al. Anesthesia for a patient with morbid obesity using dexmedetomidine without narcotics. Can J Anaesth 2005; 52: 176–80.
12. , . Dose adjustment of anaesthetics in the morbidly obese. Br J Anaesth 2010; 105: i16–23.
13. , . Regional anaesthesia in the obese patient: lost landmarks and evolving ultrasound guidance. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesth 2011; 25: 61–72.
14. , , . Extensive preoperative testing is not necessary in morbidly obese patients undergoing gastric bypass. J Gastrointest Surg 2004; 8: 159–64.
15. , . Stroke volume variation as a guide to fluid administration in morbidly obese patients undergoing laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Obes Surg 2010; 20: 709–15.
16. , , , et al. Pressure-controlled ventilation improves oxygenation during laparoscopic obesity surgery compared with volume-controlled ventilation. Br J Anaesth 2008; 100: 709–16.
17. , , , et al. Prevention of atelectasis in morbidly obese patients during general anesthesia and paralysis: a computerized tomography study. Anesthesiology 2009; 111: 979–87.
18. , , , et al. Patient controlled i.v. analgesia is an acceptable pain management strategy in morbidly obese patients undergoing gastric bypass surgery. A retrospective comparison with epidural analgesia. Can J Anaesth 2003; 50: 672–8.
19. , , . The obesity paradox: body mass index and outcomes in patients undergoing nonbariatric general surgery. Ann Surg 2009; 250: 166–72.
20. . Obesity and mortality: watch your waist, not just your weight. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167: 875–6.
21. , , , et al. Short term non-invasive ventilation post-surgery improves arterial blood-gases in obese subjects compared to supplemental oxygen delivery – a randomized controlled trial. BMC Anesthesiol 2011; 11: 10.
22. , , , et al. Noninvasive ventilation for prevention of post-extubation respiratory failure in obese patients. Eur Respir J 2006; 28: 588–95.
23. , , . Obesity and post-operative complications in patients undergoing non-bariatric surgery. Obes Rev 2010; 11: 875–86.
25. , , , et al. Improving nutritional screening of hospitalized patients: the role of prealbumin. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2003; 27: 389–95; quiz 439.
26. , , , et al. The association of body mass index to postoperative outcomes in elderly vascular surgery patients: a reverse J-curve phenomenon. Anesth Analg 2011; 112: 23–9.
27. , , , et al. Pressure ulcer risk factors in patients undergoing surgery. J Adv Nursing 2005; 50: 605–12.
28. , , . Protein-energy undernutrition and life-threatening complications among the hospitalized elderly. J Gen Intern Med 2002; 17: 923–32.
29. , , , et al. Body mass index and outcome after coronary artery bypass surgery. J Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 48: 239–45.
30. , , , et al. Risk factors and operative mortality in surgery for colorectal cancer. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1991; 73: 269–72.
31. , . Impact of body mass index on outcomes following critical care. Chest 2003; 123: 1202–7.
32. , , , et al. Body mass index. An additional prognostic factor in ICU patients. Intensive Care Med 2004; 30: 437–43.
33. . Nutrition support to patients undergoing gastrointestinal surgery. Nutr J 2003; 2: 18.
34. , , , et al. Nutrition support in clinical practice: review of published data and recommendations for future research directions. Summary of a conference sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, and American Society for Clinical Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 1997; 66: 683–706.
35. , , , et al. Effects of immediate postoperative enteral nutrition on body composition, muscle function, and wound healing. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 1991; 15: 376–83.
36. , , , et al. A randomised controlled trial evaluating the use of enteral nutritional supplements postoperatively in malnourished surgical patients. Gut 2000; 46: 813–18.
37. , , . Early enteral nutrition reduces the rate of life-threatening complications after thoracic esophagectomy in patients with esophageal cancer. Eur Surg Res 2012; 48: 79–84.
38. , , , et al. Does enteral nutrition affect clinical outcome? A systematic review of the randomized trials. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 412–29.
39. , , , et al. Epidemiology of sarcopenia among the elderly in New Mexico. Am J Epidemiol 1998; 147: 755–63.
40. , , , et al. Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People. Age Ageing 2010; 39: 412–23.
41. , , , et al. Estimation of skeletal muscle mass by bioelectrical impedance analysis. J Appl Physiol 2000; 89: 465–71.
42. . Malnutrition, fatigue, frailty, vulnerability, sarcopenia and cachexia: overlap of clinical features. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2012; 15: 213–19.
43. . Muscle mass, not body weight, predicts outcome in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 166: 787–9.
44. , , , et al. Muscle wasting is associated with mortality in patients with cirrhosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012; 10: 166–73.
45. , , , et al. Sarcopenia is associated with postoperative infection and delayed recovery from colorectal cancer resection surgery. Br J Cancer 2012; 107: 931–6.
46. , , , et al. Prevalence and prognostic effect of sarcopenia in breast cancer survivors: the HEAL Study. J Cancer Surviv 2012; 6: 398–406.
47. , , , et al. Impact of sarcopenia on outcomes following resection of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg 2012; 16: 1478–86.
48. , , , et al. Sarcopenia negatively impacts short-term outcomes in patients undergoing hepatic resection for colorectal liver metastasis. HPB (Oxford) 2011; 13: 439–46.
49. , , , et al. Skeletal muscle predicts ventilator-free days, ICU-free days, and mortality in elderly ICU patients. Crit Care 2013; 17: R206.
50. , , . Cochrane review: improving physical function and performance with progressive resistance strength training in older adults. Phys Ther 2010; 90: 1711–15.
51. , , , et al. Testosterone administration to older men improves muscle function: molecular and physiological mechanisms. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2002; 282: E601–7.
52. , , , et al. Sarcopenia in the elderly: diagnosis, physiopathology and treatment. Maturitas 2012; 71: 109–14.
53. , , . Nutrition and sarcopenia: a review of the evidence and implications for preventive strategies. J Aging Res 2012; 2012: 510801.