1. , , . Acute post-surgical pain management: a critical appraisal of current practice. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2006;31:1–42.
2. , , . Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:534–540.
3. , , . Thirty percent of patients have moderate to severe pain 24 hr after ambulatory surgery: a survey of 5,703 patients. Can J Anesth. 2004;51:886–891.
4. , . Regional anesthesia and pain medicine: residency training – the year 2000. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2002;27:9–14.
5. , , . The practice of peripheral nerve blocks in the United States: a national survey. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 1998;23:241–246.
6. , , . Comparing clinical productivity of anesthesiology groups. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:608–615.
7. , , . A survey of orthopedic surgeons’ attitudes and knowledge regarding regional anesthesia. Anesth Analg. 2004;98:1486–1490.
8. , , . Production pressure in the work environment. California anesthesiologists’ attitudes and experiences. Anesthesiology. 1994;81:488–500.
9. , , . The public's fears about and perceptions of regional anesthesia. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2004;29:96–101.
10. , : Inadequate analgesia in emergency medicine. Ann Emerg Med. 2004;43:494–503.
11. , , . Fascia iliaca compartment blockade for acute pain control in hip fracture patients. Anesthesiology.2007;773–778.
12. . The benefits of adding epidural analgesia to general anesthesia: a metaanalysis. J Anesth. 2006;20:335–340.
13. , , . The comparative effects of postoperative analgesic therapies on pulmonary outcome: cumulative meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Anesth Analg. 1998;86:598–612.
14. , , . A cost-utility and cost-effectiveness analysis of an acute pain service. J Clin Anesth. 2004;16:159–167.
15. , . Brachial plexus anesthesia compared to general anesthesia when a block room is available. Can J Anesth. 2004;51:41–44.
16. . Lipid infusion resuscitation for local anesthetic toxicity; proof of clinical efficacy. Anesthesiology. 2006;105:7–8.
17. , , , , . Sucessful use of a 20% lipid emulsion to resuscitate a patient after a presumed bupivacaine-related cardiac arrest. Anesthesiology. 2006;105:217–218.
18. , , , . Successful resuscitation of a patient with roivacaine-induced asystole after axillary plexus block using lipid infusion. Anaesthesia. 2006;61:800–801.
19.Practice guidelines for acute pain management in the perioperative setting: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Acute Pain Management. Anesthesiology. 2004;100:1573–1581.
20. , . Update on the role of non-opioids for postoperative pain treatment. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthiol. 2007;21:15–30.
21. , . Mayo Clinic Analgesic Pathway: Peripheral Nerve Blockade for Major Orthopedic Surgery. London, UK: Taylor & Francis; 2006.
22. , , . PROSPECT: evidence-based, procedure-specific postoperative pain management. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthiol. 2007;21:149–159.
23. , , . Efficacy of continuous wound catheters delivering local anesthetic for postoperative analgesia: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Am Coll Surg. 2006;203:914–932.
24. , , . A systematic review of the peripheral analgesic effects of intraarticular morphine. Anesth Analg. 2001;93:761–770.
25. : Patient-controlled analgesia. Anesth Analg. 2005;101:S44–S61.
26. . Intravenous patient-controlled analgesia: one size does not fit all. Anesthesiology Clin N Am. 2005;23:109–123.
27. . Fentanyl HCl iontophoretic transdermal system (ITS): clinical application of iontophoretic technology in the management of acute postoperative pain. Br J Anaesth. 2007;98:4–11.
28. , , : The role of intrathecal drugs in the treatment of acute pain. Anesth Analg. 2005;101:S30–S43.
29. , , . Extended-duration agents for perioperative pain management. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2007;11:33–37.
30. , , . Peripheral nerve block techniques for ambulatory surgery. Anesth Analg. 2005;101:1663–1676.
31. , , . Femoral nerve block with 0.25% or 0.5% bupivacaine improves postoperative analgesia following outpatient arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament repair. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2001;26:24–29.
32. , , . Novel analgesic adjuncts for brachial plexus block: a systematic review. Anesth Analg. 2000;90:1122–1128.
33. , , . Major complications of regional anesthesia in France: the SOS Regional Anesthesia Hotline Service. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:1274–1280.
34. , , . The effect of single-injection femoral nerve block versus continuous femoral nerve block after total knee arthroplasty on hospital length of stay and long-term functional recovery within an established clinical pathway. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:1234–1239.
35. , . Epidural analgesia for postoperative pain. Anesthesiol Clin N Am. 2005;23:125–140.
36. , , . Epidural pain relief versus systemic opioid-based pain relief for abdominal aortic surgery (Cochrane Reviews). The Cochrane Library:Issue 3, 2006.
37. . Perineural infusions of local anesthetics. Anesthesiology. 2006;104:872–880.
38. , , . Does continuous peripheral nerve block provide superior pain control to opioids? A meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:248–257.
39. , , . Continuous peripheral nerve blocks in hospital wards after orthopedic surgery. A multicenter prospective analysis of the quality of postoperative analgesia and complications in 1,416 patients. Anesthesiology. 2005;103:1035–1045.
40. , . Continuous peripheral nerve blocks at home: a review. Anesth Analg. 2005;100:1822–1833.
41. , , . Guidelines for regional anesthesia fellowship training. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2005;30:218–225.
42. , . Ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia: current concepts and future trends. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:1265–1269.
43. , , . Continuous femoral nerve analgesia after unilateral total knee arthroplasty: stimulating versus nonstimulating catheters. Anesth Analg. 2006;103:1565–1570.
44. , , . The role of the anesthesiologist in fast-track surgery: from multimodal analgesia to perioperative medical care. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:1380–1396.
45. , , . Development of a standardized peripheral nerve block procedure note form. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2005;30:67–71.
46. , , . Not documented? Not done! A proposed procedure note for neuraxial blockade. American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine 30th Annual Spring Meeting and Workshops Abstract 68, April 21–24, 2005.
47. , , . Retrospective evaluation of unanticipated admissions and readmissions after same day surgery and associated costs. J Clin Anesth. 2002;14:349–353.
48. . Organization, function, and implementation of acute pain service. Anesthesiology Clin N Am. 2005;23:211–225.
49. , , . The efficacy and safety of pain management before and after implementation of hospital-wide pain management standards: is patient safety compromised by treatment based solely on numerical pain ratings? Anesth Analg. 2005;101:474–480.
51. , . Factors influencing the reporting of adverse perioperative outcomes to a quality management program. Anesth Analg. 2000;90:344–350.