Open research refers to a range of practices that are dramatically improving how researchers are publishing and sharing their work. These include more rapid and transparent publication processes, and open access publication of a wide range of research outputs such as journal articles, data and code. Together these practices seek to maximize the efficiency, impact, and reproducibility of research.
We see open research as a fundamental step in our mission to advance learning, research and knowledge worldwide.
As a university press and not-for-profit publisher, we are working in partnership with the communities we serve to help shape the future of scholarly communication. We are pioneering new approaches that are sustainable and maintain our reputation for quality and excellence. All communities around the world must be able to benefit from open research, irrespective of funding levels or other inequalities.
We’re committed to making all of our journal content available Open Access (OA) reflecting the belief that the pursuit of knowledge benefits directly from collaboration, transparency, rapid dissemination and accessibility.
We are unlocking the potential of high quality research and building an open future. We hope you’ll join us.
What are we doing to support our vision?
- Rapidly transforming our Open Access journal program from more than 85% accepting OA submissions, to 100% fully OA. Read more
- We support cOAlition S's transformative journals programme and have now submitted 209 journals, which includes all 118 hybrid journals that CUP owns and 91 of the hybrid journals owned in whole or part by our society partners. We continue to discuss the Transformative Journals route with our other publishing partners. Read more
- Providing our authors with an easy and accessible route to publish their research Open Access through landmark institutional Read and Publish agreements. We now have over 25 in place supporting authors at over 600 institutions globally. Read more
- Launched our own open research platform, Cambridge Open Engage, providing researchers with a new and free way to share early research, connect and collaborate with their communities, and disseminate research, fast. Read more
- Built a social sharing service, Cambridge Core Share, giving authors and readers the tools to share journal articles widely and responsibly. Read more
- Permitting text and data mining of Cambridge Core content, for any purpose, to reduce barriers to the use of this powerful research technique. Read more
- Working with the community to develop sustainable and transparent open policies to ensure all our stakeholders have the information and support they need to continue producing and re-using world-leading research. Read more
- Working with our journals to encourage and support authors in sharing data, code, and other materials that underpin the research they publish. Read more
- 29 March 2021,
- Now we are in Volume Two of Experimental Results, our first journal with an open peer review model, it seems a good time to reflect on our reasoning for choosing...
- 17 December 2020,
- At Cambridge University Press, we believe that text and data mining is a powerful research tool with incredible potential. The use of machines and algorithms...
- 23 October 2020,
- This Open Access week, we profile the German Law Journal (GLJ), which has been a pioneer of open scholarly publishing in law since its foundation in 2000.…...