New monolithic multicomponents ceramic (MMC) substrates were made using a glass-ceramic material, low firing high dielectric constant ceramic material, metal oxide resistance materials, piezoelectric ceramic material and metal conductors. In the MMC substrate, many passive components, such as capacitors, resistors and wiring conductors can be included. In addition, designed-space can be formed in the substrate with new designed-space forming technology.
The new MMC substrates have the following excellent characteristics.
1) A wide range of capacitors can be formed in the substrate.(10pF˜3μF).
2) A wide range of resistors can be formed in the substrate.(10Ω/π∼1MΩ/π).
3) A plurality of resistor and capacitor elements can be three-dimensionally constructed in the substrate.
4) Designed-space can be formed in the substrate.
5) Miniaturization and cost reduction can be accomplished in the substrate.
The MMC substrates were applied to voltage controlled crystal oscillators (VCXO), CR active filters, memory cards for personal computers, AC thin film electroluminescent (AC TFEL) devices and drop-on demand ink jet heads.
These devices using MMC substrate showed good electrical propeties and achieved miniaturization, multifunction and cost reduction. The new monolithic multicomponent ceramic substrate can be applied to many kinds of hybrid microcircuits and electronic components and devices.