To send content items to your account,
please confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies.
If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your account.
Find out more about sending content to .
To send content items to your Kindle, first ensure email@example.com
is added to your Approved Personal Document E-mail List under your Personal Document Settings
on the Manage Your Content and Devices page of your Amazon account. Then enter the ‘name’ part
of your Kindle email address below.
Find out more about sending to your Kindle.
Note you can select to send to either the @free.kindle.com or @kindle.com variations.
‘@free.kindle.com’ emails are free but can only be sent to your device when it is connected to wi-fi.
‘@kindle.com’ emails can be delivered even when you are not connected to wi-fi, but note that service fees apply.
Younger patients, aged below 45 years, usually lack the conventional risk factors of stroke whereas infections, especially in developing countries, may play a role. There have been many reports in the last decade about the association of Chlamydia pneumoniae (C.pneumoniae) and atherosclerosis involving cerebral vessels.
To investigate the seroprevalence of C.pneumoniae IgG and IgA antibodies in patients aged below 45 years with acute ischemic stroke.
This study was done at a tertiary care hospital in South India between January 2004 and December 2006 where we recruited consecutive patients aged less than 45years with acute ischemic stroke. Age and sex matched controls were recruited from the outpatient department with non stroke diagnosis. All stroke patients underwent CT (Computerized Tomography), MRI (Magnetic Resonance Image), MRA (Magnetic Resonance Angiography), Transthoracic Echocardiography and Carotid Doppler for stroke sub group diagnosis. We measured C.pneumoniae antibodies IgG and IgA by microimmunofluorescence technique in all patients and controls.
A total of 120 patients and 120 controls were studied over a period of two years. We found C.pneumoniae antibodies in 29.1% (35/120) stroke patients and in 12.5% (15/120) control subjects (p=0.002). C.pneumoniae IgG antibodies were found in 27.5 % (33/120) of stroke patients and 12.5% (15/120) of controls (p=0.006). IgAantibodies were observed in 5 % (6/120) of strokes and none in control group (p=0.03). After adjustment of all risk factors C.pneumoniae IgG seropositivity showed odds ratio of 2.6; 95% Confidence Interval 1.2-5.6.
C.pneumoniae IgG antibodies were found to be associated with ischemic stroke in young.
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this to your organisation's collection.