373. When I ask what a thing is, I am asking about its representation and intuition – I am wondering only about myself.
[374.] All real strife is appearance – hence is the question of idealism and realism so stupid, so apparent, but for that very reason so Johannine.
[375.] Inapplicability of a thing, of a concept, to itself. Insofar as I act, I am not acted upon – the divisor is not divided, and so forth.
376. Satisfaction – dissatisfaction. /Drive. Power. Movement. Ability/Four kinds of objects – the thought, the felt, the represented and the unrepresented. Quantity yields innumerability, unending manifoldness – quality brings unity into chaos – consequences.
377. No positive punishment may be meted out, only negative – even in pedagogy – original rights may absolutely never be annulled.
378. Schiller begins from a fixed point in his investigations and of course he can thereafter never find other relations than the proportions from which he began his determinations. His idea of morality, etc.
379. Feeling is related to thinking as being is to representing.
380. Possibility of torture. /Only the coward is not immortal/
381. Have the courage to be virtuous and you will be.
382. Schiller sketches too distinctly to be true to the eye, like Albrecht Dürer, not like Titian – too ideally to be natural in the highest sense.
383. Toset – derivation from “to spring.” Marvelously significant – Character of the transition from opposing thing [Gegengesezten] to thing posited over against [Entgegengesezten] – from extreme to extreme. This is also visible in the expression – to seat oneself – Passage from movement to rest.