- Get access
- Contains open access
- ISSN: 1752-1963 (Print), 1752-1971 (Online)
- Editor: Emily Abrams Ansari Western University, Canada
- Editorial board
Journal of the Society for American Music is an international, peer-reviewed journal dealing with all aspects of American music and music in the Americas. JSAM is dedicated to supporting scholarship that transcends disciplinary boundaries, cutting across historical musicology, music theory, ethnomusicology, cultural theory, identity studies, and American studies. JSAM encourages international dialogue across disciplines. The journal features articles, reviews of books, recordings, and multimedia items, and explorations of special topics.
Journal of the Society for American Music welcomes papers covering cultural hierarchy; social, political, economic, gender, and sexuality issues; race and ethnicity; the impact and role of the media; sacred, secular, and popular contexts and traditions; geographical and historical patterns; composers, performers, and audiences; historiography and reception history; problems of research, analysis, criticism, and aesthetics.
David VanderHamm, Winner of The Richard Waterman Junior Scholar Prize (PMSSEM) 2021
The Richard Waterman Junior Scholar Prize from the Popular Music Section of the Society for Ethnomusicology has been awarded to David VanderHamm for his article "'I'm Just an Armless Guitarist': Tony Melendez, Disability, and the Social Construction of Virtuosity", published in Volume 14 Issue 3 of the Journal of the Society of American Music.
Stephanie Doktor - winner of both the AMS Popular Music Study Group's 2021 Best Essay in Popular Music Scholarship and the Irvin Lowens Article Award from the Society for American Music
The American Musicological Society's Popular Music Study Group has awarded the 2021 Best Essay in Popular Music Scholarship to Stephanie Doktor for her article "Finding Florence Mills: The Voice of the Harlem Jazz Queen in the Compositions of William Grant Still and Edmund Thornton Jenkins", published in Volume 14 Issue 4 of the Journal of the Society of American Music. Since March 2022, the article has gone on to win the Irvin Lowens Article Award from the Society for American Music.
JSAM Colloquy Guidelines
JSAM has begun publishing colloquies and roundtables regularly in its issues. These formats will complement its ongoing publication of articles and reviews.
- 16 June 2022,
- Antiwar activists carve “no to war” in frozen rivers, spray-paint slogans of peace in the snow. They scrawl on banknotes, putting their opposition into circulation....
- 01 March 2022,
- We live in an era of absence. Lockdowns, quarantines, hospitals, and face masks: fear of contamination disappears the body from public space and discourse.…...
- 02 February 2022,
- As a music historian teaching courses about racial inequality, I try to create an environment safe for students of color and challenging for the racially privileged.…...