1. , , , et al. Glossary of descriptive terminology for ictal semiology: report of the ILAE task force on classification and terminology. Epilepsia 2001; 42:1212–8.
2. , , , et al. Revised terminology and concepts for organization of seizures and epilepsies: report of the ILAE Commission on Classification and Terminology, 2005–2009. Epilepsia 2010; 51:676–85.
3. . Basic mechanisms of sleep and epilepsy. J Clin Neurophysiol 2011; 28:103–10.
4. . American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM manual for the scoring of sleep and associated events: rules, terminology, and technical specifications. Westchester, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2007.
5. and . A manual of standarized terminology, techniques and scoring system for sleep stages in human subjects. US Government Printing Office, 1968.
6. . Visual analysis of the EEG: wakefulness, drowsiness, and sleep. In: Practical approach to electroencephalography. Philadelphia, IL: Saunders Elsevier, 2010; 5–30.
7. and . Sleep and epilepsy. In: , , , eds. Clinical sleep disorders. Philadelphia, IL: Ovid Technologies Inc., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005; 403–19.
8. and . Sleep and epilepsy. In: , ed. Sleep disorders medicine: basic science, technical considerations, and clinical aspects, 3rd edn. Philadelphia, IL: Saunders Elsevier, 2009; 499–529.
9. and . Sleep and epilepsy: common bedfellows. J Clin Neurophysiol 2011; 28:101–2.
10. , , , et al. Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP) and sleep. Sleep Med Rev 2011; 15:237–46.
11. . The sleep-deprived electroencephalogram: evidence and practice. Arch Neurol 2002; 59:1235–9.
12. , , , et al. Increasing cortical excitability: a possible explanation for the proconvulsant role of sleep deprivation. Sleep 2006; 29:1595–8.
13. and . Current evaluation and management of excessive daytime sleepiness. Can J Neurol Sci 2010; 37:167–76.
14. , and . Sleep disturbances in people with epilepsy: prevalence, impact and treatment. Sleep Med Rev 2011; 15:357–68.
15. , , , et al. Neurobehavioral performance of residents after heavy night call vs after alcohol ingestion. JAMA 2005; 294:1025–33.
16. and . Women’s Sleep. In: , ed. Sleep disorders medicine: basic science, technical considerations, and clinical aspects, 3rd edn. Philadelphia, IL: Saunders Elsevier, 2009; 644–53.
17. , , , et al. Obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea and incident stroke: the sleep heart health study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010; 182:269–77.
18. and . Sleep and quality of life in pregnancy. In: , , , eds. Sleep and quality of life in medical illnesses. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 2008, 497–504.
19. , , , et al. Treatment of restless legs syndrome: an evidence-based review and implications for clinical practice. Mov Disord 2008; 23:2267–302.
20. , , and . Sleep-related breathing disorder in children with vagal nerve stimulators. Pediatr Neurol 2008; 38:99–103.
21. and . Medication effects on sleep. Clin Chest Med 2010; 31:397–405.
22. , , , et al. Sleep, rhythms, and the endocrine brain: influence of sex and gonadal hormones. J Neurosci 2011; 31:16107–16.
23. , , , et al. The association of testosterone, sleep, and sexual function in men and women. Brain Res 2011; 1416:80–104.
24. . Neuroactive properties of reproductive steroids. Headache 2007; 47(Suppl 2):S68–S78.
25. and . Hormones and breathing. Chest 2002; 122:2165–82.
26. and . Sleep disorders in women: clinical evidence and treatment strategies. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2006; 29:1095–113; abstract xi.
27. . The international classification of sleep disorders: diagnostic and coding manual, 2nd edn. Westchester, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2005.
28. , and . Interictal spiking during wakefulness and sleep and the localization of foci in temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurology 1991; 41(2(Pt 1)):290–7.
29. , , , et al. Estrogen plus progestin and the risk of coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:523–34.
30. , , , et al. Breast cancer after use of estrogen plus progestin in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 2009; 360(6):573–87.