- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: August 2010
- Print publication year: 2009
- First published in: 1860
- Online ISBN: 9780511700750
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511700750
First published in 1860, this is the third and final volume of Howard Staunton's collection of Shakespeare's plays, with black-and-white illustrations by the prolific artist John Gilbert. Staunton's annotated edition, based on the folio and quarto editions collated with the texts of later editors from Rowe to Dyce, combines common sense with meticulous research, making it a definitive resource in its day. Each play is accompanied by an introduction giving details of its original production and publication and the sources of its plot, critical commentary, and footnotes explaining terms and expressions. This volume contains The Tempest, King Lear, Coriolanus, Winter's Tale, Troilus and Cressida, Hamlet, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Antony and Cleopatra, Titus Andronicus and Othello. The volume concludes with the Sonnets and Poems and a glossarial index.
* Views captured on Cambridge Core between #date#. This data will be updated every 24 hours.
Usage data cannot currently be displayed.