1. , , , et al. Recent infection as a risk factor for cerebrovascular ischemia. Stroke 1995; 26:373–9.
2. , , , et al. Infection and risk of ischemic stroke: differences among stroke subtypes. Stroke 2003; 34:452–7.
3. , , , et al. Risk of myocardial infarction and stroke after acute infection or vaccination. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:2611–18.
4. , . Investigating the association between influenza vaccination and reduced stroke risk. Expert Rev Vaccines 2006; 5:535–40.
5. , , . Common infections and the risk of stroke. Nat Rev Neurol 2010; 6:681–94.
6. , , , et al. Clinical effectiveness of pneumococcal vaccination against acute myocardial infarction and stroke in people over 60 years: the capamis study, one-year follow-up. BMC Pub Health 2012; 12:222.
7. , , , et al. Prevention of acute myocardial infarction and stroke among elderly persons by dual pneumococcal and influenza vaccination: a prospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis 2010; 51:1007–16.
8. , . Role of Chlamydia pneumoniae in atherosclerosis. Clin Sci (Lond) 2008; 114:509–31.
9. , . Do common infections cause stroke? Semin Neurol 2006; 26:88–99.
10. , , . The effect of infections and vaccinations on stroke risk. Expert Rev Neurother 2006; 6:175–83.
11. , , , et al. Azithromycin for the secondary prevention of coronary events. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:1637–45.
12. , , , et al. Azithromycin for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease events: the wizard study: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2003; 290:1459–66.
13. , , , et al. Infectious burden and risk of stroke: the northern Manhattan study. Arch Neurol 2010; 67:33–8.
14. . Infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis 1993; 17:313–20.
15. , , , et al. Neurological complications of infective endocarditis: risk factors, outcome, and impact of cardiac surgery: a multicenter observational study. Circulation 2013; 127:2272–84.
16. , , , et al. Cerebrovascular complications in patients with left-sided infective endocarditis are common: a prospective study using magnetic resonance imaging and neurochemical brain damage markers. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 47:23–30.
17. , . Experimental endocarditis I. Staphylococcal endocarditis in rabbits resulting from placement of a polyethylene catheter in the right side of the heart. Yale J Biol Med 1970; 42:394–410.
18. , , , et al. Clinical presentation, etiology, and outcome of infective endocarditis in the 21st century: the international collaboration on endocarditis-prospective cohort study. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:463–73.
19. , , , et al. Infective endocarditis: diagnosis, antimicrobial therapy, and management of complications: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Committee on Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, and the Councils on Clinical Cardiology, Stroke, and Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia, American Heart Association: endorsed by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Circulation 2005; 111:e394–434.
20. , , , et al. Guidelines on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of infective endocarditis (new version 2009): the Task Force on the Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID) and the International Society of Chemotherapy (ISC) for Infection and Cancer. Eur Heart J 2009; 30:2369–413.
21. , , , et al. Influence of the timing of cardiac surgery on the outcome of patients with infective endocarditis and stroke. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56:209–17.
22. . Chagas cardiomyopathy and ischemic stroke. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2006; 4:119–30.
23. , , , et al. Cerebral infarction in adults with bacterial meningitis. Neurocrit Care 2012; 16:421–7.
24. , . Infectious and inflammatory disorders of the circulatory system and stroke in childhood. Curr Opin Neurol 2002; 15:159–64.
25. , , . Tuberculous meningitis in adults: a review of a decade of developments focusing on prognostic factors for outcome. Future Microbiol 2012; 7:1101–16.
26. , , , . The poor prognosis of central nervous system cryptococcosis among nonimmunosuppressed patients: a call for better disease recognition and evaluation of adjuncts to antifungal therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2006; 42:1443–7.
27. , , , , . Cerebral infarction related to cryptococcal meningitis in an HIV-infected patient: case report and literature review. Braz J Infect Dis 2004; 8:175–9.
28. , , , et al. Vasculitic and encephalitic complications associated with coccidioides immitis infection of the central nervous system in humans: report of 10 cases and review. Clin Infect Dis 1992; 14:673–82.
29. , , , . Coccidioidal meningitis: clinical presentation and management in the fluconazole era. Medicine 2010; 89:251–84.
30. , , , , . Meningovascular syphilis as a cause of basilar artery stenosis. Neurology 2005; 64:391–2.
31. , , , , . Brain infarction caused by syphilitic aortic aneurysm. A case report. Angiology 1996; 47:911–17.
32. , , . Intracerebral haemorrhage as a manifestation of Lyme neuroborreliosis? Eur J Neurol 2003; 10:99–101.
33. , Arauz A. Cerebrovascular complications of neurocysticercosis. Neurologist 2012; 18:17–22.
34. , , , . Virus vasculopathy and stroke: an under-recognized cause and treatment target. Infect Disord Drug Targets 2010; 10:105–11.
35. , , , , . HIV stroke risk: evidence and implications. Ther Adv Chronic Dis 2013; 4:61–70.
36. , , , , . Stroke in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007; 78:1320–4.
37. , , , et al. Cerebral infarction in adult AIDS patients: observations from the Edinburgh HIV Autopsy Cohort. Stroke 2000; 31:2117–26.
38. , , , , . Mechanisms of ischemic stroke in HIV-infected patients. Neurology 2007; 68:1257–61.
39. , , . Mycotic aneurysm, subarachnoid hemorrhage, and indications for cerebral angiography in infective endocarditis. Stroke 1987; 18:1057–60.
40. , . CNS aspergillosis with mycotic aneurysm, cerebral granuloma and infarction. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2004; 146:851–6.
41. , . Occlusive hypertrophic arteritis as the cause of discrete necrosis in CNS toxoplasmosis in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Hum Pathol 1988; 19:1210–14.
42. , , . Pathogenesis, clinical features, and neurological outcome of cerebral malaria. Lancet Neurol 2005; 4:827–40.
43. , , , , . Post-stroke infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Neurol 2011; 11:110.
44. , , , et al. Dysphagia after stroke: incidence, diagnosis, and pulmonary complications. Stroke 2005; 36:2756–63.
45. , , . Quantitative aspiration during sleep in normal subjects. Chest 1997; 111:1266–72.
46. , . Aspiration pneumonias: under-diagnosed and under-treated. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2007; 13:192–8.
47. , , , . Predicting post-stroke pneumonia: the pantheris score. Acta Neurol Scand 2013; 128:178–84.
48. , . Brain-immune interactions and ischemic stroke: clinical implications. Arch Neurol 2012; 69:576–81.
49. , , , et al. Stroke-induced immunodepression: experimental evidence and clinical relevance. Stroke 2007; 38:770–3.
50. ; . Guidelines for management of ischaemic stroke and transient ischaemic attack 2008. Cerebrovasc Dis 2008; 25:457–507.
51. , , , et al. Preventive antibacterial treatment improves the general medical and neurological outcome in a mouse model of stroke. Stroke 2004; 35:2–6.
52. , , , et al. Antibiotic therapy for preventing infections in patients with acute stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 1:CD008530.
53. , , , et al. Proposed modifications to the duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis 2000; 30:633–8.
54. , , . Complications of infective endocarditis. In: , , , eds. Infections of the Central Nervous System. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2004:537–68.