1. , , , et al. Risk factors for ischemic and intracerebral hemorrhagic stroke in 22 countries (the INTERSTROKE study): a case-control study. Lancet 2010; 376:112–23.
2. , , , et al. Healthy lifestyle and the risk of stroke in women. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166:1403–9.
3. , , , et al. Primary prevention of stroke by healthy lifestyle. Circulation 2008; 118:947–54.
4. , , , et al. Lifestyle factors on the risks of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171:1811–18.
5. , , , , . Cigarette smoking as a risk factor for stroke. The Framingham Study. JAMA 1988; 259:1025–9.
6. , , , et al. Smoking cessation in relation to total mortality rates in women. A prospective cohort study. Ann Intern Med 1993; 119:992–1000.
7. , , , et al. The effects of smoking and smoking cessation on mortality from cardiovascular disease among Japanese: pooled analysis of three large-scale cohort studies in Japan. Tob Control 2010; 19:50–7.
8. , . Meta-analysis of relation between cigarette smoking and stroke. BMJ 1989; 298:789–94.
9. , , , . Risk factors for subarachnoid hemorrhage: a systematic review. Stroke 1996; 27:544–9.
10. , , , . Risk factors for intracerebral hemorrhage in the general population: a systematic review. Stroke 2003; 34:2060–5.
11. , , , et al. Smoking and the risk of hemorrhagic stroke in men. Stroke 2003; 34:1151–5.
12. , , , et al. Smoking and risk of hemorrhagic stroke in women. Stroke 2003; 34:2792–5.
13. , , , et al. Risk factors for intracerebral hemorrhage in a pooled prospective study. Stroke 2007; 38:2718–25.
14. , , , et al. Cigarette smoking and progression of atherosclerosis: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. JAMA 1998; 279:119–24.
15. , . Environmental tobacco smoke exposure and risk of stroke in nonsmokers: a review with meta-analysis. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2006; 15:190–201.
16. , , , . Smoking habits and risk of fatal stroke: 18 years follow up of the Oslo Study. J Epidemiol Community Health 1996; 50:621–4.
17. . Ischemic stroke and combined oral contraceptives: results of an international, multicentre, case-control study. Lancet 1996; 348:498–505.
18. . Hemorrhagic stroke, overall stroke risk, and combined oral contraceptives: results of an international, multicentre, case-control study. Lancet 1996; 348:505–10.
19. , , , et al. Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 11:CD000146.
20. , , . Antidepressants for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 1:CD000031.
21. , , . Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Sys Rev 2012; 4:CD006103.
22. , , . Psychosocial interventions for smoking cessation in patients with coronary heart disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; 1:CD006886.
23. , , , . Exploring the relationship between alcohol consumption and non-fatal or fatal stroke: a systematic review. Addiction 2001; 96:1743–56.
24. , , , et al. Alcohol consumption and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2003; 289:579–88.
25. , , , et al. Rapid intake of alcohol (binge drinking) inhibits platelet adhesion to fibrinogen under flow. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2004; 28:1562–8.
26. , , , . Intake of beer, wine, and spirits and risk of stroke: the Copenhagen city heart study. Stroke 1998; 29:2467–72.
27. , , . Recent heavy drinking of alcohol and embolic stroke. Stroke 1999; 30:2307–12.
28. , , , . Triggers of ischemic stroke: a systematic review. Stroke 2010; 41:2669–77.
29. , . Patterns of alcohol intake and risk of stroke in middle-aged British men. Stroke 1996; 27: 1033–9.
30. , , , , . The impact of alcohol and hypertension on stroke incidence in a general Japanese population. The Hisayama Study. Stroke 1995; 26:368–72.
31. , , , et al. Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Hypertens 2006; 24:215–33.
32. , , , et al. Long-term alcohol consumption and the risk of atrial fibrillation in the Framingham Study. Am J Cardiol 2004; 93:710–13.
33. , , , et al. Body mass index and the risk of stroke in men. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162:2557–62.
34. , , , . Body mass index in mid-life is associated with a first stroke in men: a prospective population study over 28 years. Stroke 2004; 35:2764–9.
35. , , , et al. Prospective study of body mass index and risk of stroke in apparently healthy women. Circulation 2005; 111:1992–8.
36. , , , et al. Body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-hip ratio on the risk of total and type-specific stroke. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167:1420–7.
37. , , , et al. A prospective study of body mass index, weight change, and risk of stroke in women. JAMA 1997; 277:1539–45.
38. , , , . Body mass index and ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke: a prospective study in Korean men. Stroke 2004; 35:831–6.
39. , , , et al.; . Abdominal obesity and risk of ischemic stroke: the Northern Manhattan Stroke Study. Stroke 2003; 34:1586–92.
40. , , , et al. Separate and combined associations of body-mass index and abdominal adiposity with cardiovascular disease: collaborative analysis of 58 prospective studies. Lancet 2011; 377:1085–95.
41. , , , et al. Measures of obesity and cardiovascular risk among men and women. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52:605–15.
42. , , , , . Influence of weight reduction on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Hypertension 2003; 42:878–84.
43. , , . Weight reduction for primary prevention of stroke in adults with overweight or obesity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; 4:CD006062.
44. , , , . Exercise for overweight or obesity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; 4:CD003817.
45. , . Physical activity and risk of cardiovascular disease—a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2012; 9:391–407.
46. , , , , . Association of physical activity level and stroke outcomes in men and women: a meta-analysis. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2010; 19:1815–22.
47. , , . Physical activity and stroke risk: a meta-analysis. Stroke 2003; 34:2475–81.
48. , , , et al. Prior TIA, lipid-lowering drug use, and physical activity decrease ischemic stroke severity. Neurology 2006; 67:1403–10.
49. , . Physical activity and stroke in British middle aged men. BMJ 1992; 304:597–601.
50. , , , et al. Physical activity and risk of stroke in women. JAMA 2000; 283:2961–7.
51. , , , et al. Leisure time, occupational, and commuting physical activity and the risk of stroke. Stroke 2005; 36:1994–9.
52. , . Physical activity and stroke incidence: the Harvard Alumni Health Study. Stroke 1998; 29:2049–54.
53. , , , , . Exercise and risk of stroke in male physicians. Stroke 1999; 30:1–6.
54. , , , et al. Physical activity and stroke: a meta-analysis of observational data. Int J Epidemiol 2004; 33:787–98.
55. , . Effects of endurance training on blood pressure, blood pressure-regulating mechanisms, and cardiovascular risk factors. Hypertension 2005; 46:667–75.
56. , , , . Exercise for overweight or obesity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; 4:CD003817.
57. , . Optimal dietary habits for the prevention of stroke. Semin Neurol 2006; 26:11–23.
58. , , . Fruit and vegetable consumption and stroke: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Lancet 2006; 367:320–6.
59. , , , et al. Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. JAMA 1999; 282:1233–9.
60. , , . Whole grain intake and cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2008; 18:283–90.
61. , , , et al. Association between fish consumption, long chain omega 3 fatty acids, and risk of cerebrovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2012; 345:e6698.
62. , . Fish intake, contaminants, and human health: evaluating the risks and the benefits. JAMA 2006; 296:1885–99.
63. , , , . Salt intake, stroke, and cardiovascular disease: meta-analysis of prospective studies. BMJ 2009; 339:b4567.
64. , , , , . Reduced dietary salt for the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; 7:CD009217.
65. . The INTERSALT Study: background, methods, findings, and implications. Am J Clin Nutr 1997; 65:626S–42S.
66. , , . Effect of longer term modest salt reduction on blood pressure: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ 2013; 346:f1325.
67. , , , et al.; . Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med 2001; 344:3–10.
68. , , . Dietary potassium intake and risk of stroke: a dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. Stroke 2011; 42:2746–50.
69. , , , et al. Effect of increased potassium intake on cardiovascular risk factors and disease: systematic review and meta-analyses. BMJ 2013; 346:f1378.
70. , , . Dietary calcium intake and risk of stroke: a dose-response meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 2013; 97:951–7.
71. , , . Dietary magnesium intake and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Am J Clin Nutr 2012; 95:362–6.
72. , . Coffee consumption and risk of stroke: a dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. Am J Epidemiol 2011; 174:993–1001.
73. , , . Green and black tea consumption and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis. Stroke 2009; 40:1786–92.
74. , , . Chocolate consumption and risk of stroke: a prospective cohort of men and meta-analysis. Neurology 2012; 79:1223–9.
75. , , , et al. Adherence to a DASH-style diet and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168:713–20.
76. , , , . Effects of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)-style diet on fatal or nonfatal cardiovascular diseases–Incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis on observational prospective studies. Nutrition 2013; 29:611–18.
77. , , , . Accruing evidence on benefits of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on health: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; 92:1189–96.
78. , , , et al. Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1279–90.
79. , , , et al. Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of cardiovascular disease: The Women’s Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial. JAMA 2006; 295:655–66.
80. , . Stroke risk in women: the role of menopause and hormone therapy. Lancet Neurol 2012; 11:82–91.
81. , , , et al. Effect of estrogen plus progestin on stroke in postmenopausal women: the Women’s Health Initiative: a randomized trial. JAMA 2003; 289:2673–84.
82. , , . Association between hormone replacement therapy and subsequent arterial and venous vascular events: a meta-analysis. Eur Heart J 2008; 29:2031–41.
83. , , , . Long term hormone therapy for perimenopausal and postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 7:CD004143.
84. , , , , . Postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy: scientific review. JAMA 2002; 288:872–81.
85. . Clinical issues regarding cardiovascular disease and selective estrogen receptor modulators in postmenopausal women. Climacteric 2009; 12:S108–11.
86. , , , et al.; . Effects of raloxifene on cardiovascular events and breast cancer in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 2006; 355:125–37.
87. , . Risk of ischemic stroke with tamoxifen treatment for breast cancer: a meta-analysis. Neurology 2004; 63:1230–3.
88. , , , et al. Efficacy of bazedoxifene in reducing new vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: results from a 3 year randomized, placebo and active controlled clinical trial. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23:1923–34.
89. , , , et al. Lasofoxifene in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:686–96.
90. , , ; International Society of Hypertension. Global burden of blood-pressure-related disease, 2001. Lancet 2008; 371:1513–18.
91. , , , , . Age-specific relevance of usual blood pressure to vascular mortality: a meta-analysis of individual data for one million adults in 61 prospective studies. Lancet 2002; 360:1903–13.
92. , , , . Blood pressure and stroke: an overview of published reviews. Stroke 2004; 35:1024.
93. , , . Use of blood pressure lowering drugs in the prevention of cardiovascular disease: meta-analysis of 147 trials in the context of expectations from prospective epidemiological studies. BMJ 2009; 338:b1665.
94. , , , et al. Reappraisal of European guidelines on hypertension management: a European Society of Hypertension Task Force document. J Hypertens 2009; 27:2121–58.
95. , , , et al. Effects of intensive blood pressure lowering on cardiovascular and renal outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med 2012; 9:e1001293.
96. , , ; Blood Pressure Lowering Treatment Trialists’ Collaboration Effects of ACE inhibitors, calcium antagonists, and other blood-pressure-lowering drugs: results of prospectively designed overviews of randomised trials. Blood Pressure Lowering Treatment Trialists’ Collaboration. Lancet 2000; 356:1955–64.
97. ; Blood Pressure Lowering Treatment Trialists’ Collaboration. Effects of different blood-pressure-lowering regimens on major cardiovascular events: results of prospectively-designed overviews of randomised trials. Lancet 2003; 362:1527–35.
98. , . First-line drugs for hypertension. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 3:CD001841.
99. , , , et al. Randomised double-blind comparison of placebo and active treatment for older patients with isolated systolic hypertension. The systolic hypertension in Europe (syst-eur) trial investigators. Lancet 1997; 350:757–64.
100. , , , et al. Effects of different regimens to lower blood pressure on major cardiovascular events in older and younger adults: meta-analysis of randomized trials. BMJ 2008; 336:1121–3.
101. , , , et al.; . Treatment of hypertension in patients 80 years of age or older. N Engl J Med 2008; 358:1887–98.
102. , , , et al. Diabetes mellitus, fasting blood glucose concentration, and risk of vascular disease: a collaborative meta-analysis of 102 prospective studies. Lancet 2010; 375:2215–22.
103. , , , , . Efficacy of intensive control of glucose in stroke prevention: a meta-analysis of data from 59,197 participants in 9 randomized controlled trials. PLoS One 2013; 8:e54465.
104. , , , . Meta-analysis of cohort and case-control studies of type 2 diabetes mellitus and risk of atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol 2011; 108:56–62.
105. , , . The epidemiology of impaired glucose tolerance and hypertension. Am Heart J 1991; 121:1268–73.
106. . Plasma lipids and lipoproteins at diagnosis of NIDDM by age and sex. Diabetes Care 1997; 20:1683–7.
107. , , , . Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358:580–91.
108. , , , et al. Long-term lifestyle intervention lowers the incidence of stroke in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes: a nationwide multicentre randomized controlled trial (the Japan Diabetes Complications Study). Diabetologia 2010; 53:419–28.
109. , , , , . Primary prevention of major cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events with statins in diabetic patients: a meta-analysis. Drugs 2012; 72:2365–73.
110. . Cholesterol, diastolic blood pressure, and stroke: 13,000 strokes in 450,000 people in 45 prospective cohorts. Lancet 1995; 346:1647–53.
111. , , , et al.; . Blood cholesterol and vascular mortality by age, sex, and blood pressure: a meta-analysis of individual data from 61 prospective studies with 55,000 vascular deaths. Lancet 2007; 370:1829–39.
112. , , , et al.; . Plasma lipid profile and incident ischemic stroke: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. Stroke 2003; 34:623–31.
113. , , , et al. Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; 1:CD004816.
114. , , , et al. The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with statin therapy in people at low risk of vascular disease: meta-analysis of individual data from 27 randomized trials. Lancet 2012; 380:581–90.
115. , . Statin therapy and the risk of intracerebral hemorrhage: a meta-analysis of 31 randomized controlled trials. Stroke 2012; 43:2149–56.
116. , , , et al. Intensive statin therapy compared with moderate dosing for prevention of cardiovascular events: a meta-analysis of >40 000 patients. Eur Heart J 2011; 32:1409–15.
117. , . The current state of niacin in cardiovascular disease prevention: a systematic review and meta-regression. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 61:440–6.
118. , , , et al. Lipid management in the prevention of stroke: a meta-analysis of fibrates for stroke prevention. BMC Neurol 2013; 13:1.
119. , , , et al. Differential effects of lipid-lowering therapies on stroke prevention: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163:669–76.
120. , . Statin myopathy: a review of recent progress. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2010; 22:644–50.
121. , . Statin therapy and the risk of intracerebral hemorrhage: a meta-analysis of 31 randomized controlled trials. Stroke 2012; 43:2149–56.
122. , , . Atrial fibrillation as an independent risk factor for stroke: the Framingham Study. Stroke 1991; 22:983–8.
123. , , , et al. Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: national implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) Study. JAMA 2001; 285:2370–5.
124. , , , et al. Characteristics, outcome, and care of stroke associated with atrial fibrillation in Europe: data from a multicenter multinational hospital-based registry (The European Community Stroke Project). Stroke 2001; 32:392–8.
125. . Independent predictors of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation: a systematic review. Neurology 2007; 69:546–54.
126. . Comparison of 12 risk stratification schemes to predict stroke in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Stroke 2008; 39:1901–10.
127. ; , , et al. Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the Task Force for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2010; 31:2369–429.
128. , , . Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146:857–67.
129. , , . Oral anticoagulants versus antiplatelet therapy for preventing stroke in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation and no history of stroke or transient ischemic attacks. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 3:CD006186.
130. , , , et al. Anticoagulation therapy for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: how well do randomized trials translate into clinical practice? JAMA 2003; 290:2685–92.
131. , , , et al. Age and the risk of warfarin-associated hemorrhage: the anticoagulation and risk factors in atrial fibrillation study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006; 54:1231–6.
132. , , , et al. A randomised controlled trial of warfarin versus aspirin for stroke prevention in octogenarians with atrial fibrillation (WASPO). Age Ageing 2007; 36:151–6.
133. , , , et al. Warfarin versus aspirin for stroke prevention in an elderly community population with atrial fibrillation (the Birmingham Atrial Fibrillation Treatment of the Aged Study, BAFTA): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 370:493–503.
134. : Clinical trials update : recent and ongoing studies in anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation. Open Access J Clin Trials 26 2013; 5:101–10.
135. , , , , . Primary and secondary prevention with new oral anticoagulant drugs for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: indirect comparison analysis. BMJ 2012; 345:e7097.
136. , , , , . Association of obstructive sleep apnea with risk of serious cardiovascular events: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2012; 5:720–8.
137. , , , et al. Sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease: an American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association Council for High Blood Pressure Research Professional Education Committee, Council on Clinical Cardiology, Stroke Council, and Council on Cardiovascular Nursing. In collaboration with the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute National Center on Sleep Disorders Research (National Institutes of Health). Circulation 2008; 118:1080–111.
138. , . Obstructive sleep apnea and type 2 diabetes: is there a link? Front Neurol 2012; 3:126.
139. , , , et al. The impact of diet and lifestyle management strategies for obstructive sleep apnoea in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Sleep Breath 2013; 17:925–35.
140. , , , . The effect of continuous positive airway pressure treatment on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Sleep Med 2012; 8:587–96.
141. , , , et al. Framingham stroke risk profile and lowered cognitive performance. Stroke 2004; 35:404–9.
142. , , , et al. Cardiovascular risk profile and cognitive function in young, middle-aged, and elderly subjects. Stroke 2013; 44:1543–9.