1. , . Sex differences in stroke recovery and stroke-specific quality of life: Results from a statewide stroke registry. Stroke. 2007;38:2541–8.
2. , , , et al. Genetic and environmental risk factors for intracerebral hemorrhage: Preliminary results of a population-based study. Stroke. 2002;33:1190–5.
3. , , , et al. Long-term mortality after intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurology. 2006;66:1182–6.
4. , , , et al. Recovery of upper extremity function in stroke patients: The Copenhagen Stroke Study. Arch Phys Med Rehab. 1994;75:394–8.
5. , , , et al. What determines good recovery in patients with the most severe strokes? The Copenhagen Stroke Study. Stroke. 1999;30:2008–12.
6. , , , et al. The reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke study: Objectives and design. Neuroepidemiology. 2005;25:135–43.
7. , , , et al. Effect of constraint-induced movement therapy on upper extremity function 3 to 9 months after stroke: The EXCITE randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2006;296:2095–3015.
8. . The restoration of motor function following hemiplegia in man. Brain. 1951;74:443–80.
9. . Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics – 2004 Update. Dallas, TX: American Heart Association; 2003.
10. . Principles and practices of neurological rehabilitation. In: , , , et al., editors. Neurology in clinical practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Butterworth Heineman; 2004: pp. 1027–70.
11. , , . Motor impairment as a predictor of functional recovery and guide to rehabilitation treatment after stroke. Neurorehab Neural Repair. 2001;15:229–37.
12. , . The results of clinical trials in stroke rehabilitation research. Arch Neurol. 1993;50:37–44.
13. . Recommendations for the establishment of stroke systems of care: Recommendations from the American Stroke Association’s task force on the development of stroke systems. Stroke. 2005;36:690–703.
14. , , , et al. Probability of regaining dexterity in the flaccid upper limb: The impact of severity of paresis and time since onset in acute stroke. Stroke. 2003;34:2181–6.
15. , , , et al. Early versus delayed inpatient stroke rehabilitation: A matched comparison conducted in Italy. Arch Phys Med Rehab. 2000;81:695–700.
16. , , , et al. Modified constraint-induced therapy in chronic stroke: Results of a single-blinded randomized controlled trial. Phys Ther. 2008;88:333–40.
17. , , , et al. Very Early Constraint-Induced Movement (VECTORS). A single-center RCT. Neurology. 2009;73:195–201.
18. , , , et al. Comparison of changes in upper and lower extremity impairments and disabilities after stroke. Int J Rehab Res. 2003;26:109–16.
19. , . Somatotopy and movement representation sites following cortical stroke. Exp Brain Res. 2006;168:25–32.
20. , , , et al. Recovery of swallowing after dysphagic stroke relates to functional reorganization in the intact motor cortex. Gastro. 1998;115:1104–12.
21. . Prediction of function after stroke: A critical review. Stroke. 1986;17:765–76.
22. , , , et al. Aphasia in acute stroke: Incidence, determinants, and recovery. Ann Neurol. 1995;38:659–66.
23. , , . Recovery of behavioral abnormalities after right hemisphere stroke. Neuro. 1983;33:345–50.
24. , , , , . Factors influencing stroke survivors’ quality of life during subacute recovery. Stroke. 2005;36:1480–4.
25. , , , et al. Stroke in a biracial population: The excess burden of stroke among blacks. Stroke. 2004;35:426–31.
26. , , , et al. Effects of race and poverty on the process and outcome of inpatient rehabilitation services among stroke patients. Stroke. 2003;34:1027–31.
27. , , , et al. BDNF val66met polymorphism is associated with modified experience-dependent plasticity in human motor cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:735–7.
28. , , . Stroke: Influence of patient’s sex and side of weakness on outcome. Arch Phys Med Rehab. 1984;65:513–6.
29. , , , et al. Sex differences in management and outcome after stroke: A Swedish national perspective. Stroke. 2003;34:1970–5.
30. , , , et al. Sex differences in stroke care and outcomes: Results from the registry of the Canadian Stroke Network. Stroke. 2005;36:809–14.
31. , , , et al. Sex differences in stroke recovery. Prev Chronic Dis. 2005;3:A13.
32. , , , et al. Is sex a prognostic factor in stroke rehabilitation? A matched comparison. Stroke. 2006;37:2989–94.
33. . Generalized efficacy of t-PA for acute stroke: Subgroup analysis of the NINDS t-PA stroke trial. Stroke. 1997;28:2119–25.
34. , , , et al. Acute blood glucose level and outcome from ischemic stroke: Trial of ORG 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment (TOAST) Investigators. Neuro. 1999;52:280–4.
35. , , , et al. Long term mortality after ischemic stroke: The effect of diabetes in the greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky stroke study [abstract from 2004 International Stroke Conference]. Stroke. 2004;35:315.
36. , , , et al. The Sunnybrook Stroke Study: A prospective study of depressive symptoms and functional outcome. Stroke. 1998;29:618–24.
37. , , Effects of poststroke pyrexia on stroke outcome: A meta-analysis of studies in patients. Stroke. 2000;31:410–4.
38. , , , et al. The early systemic prophylaxis of infection after stroke study: A randomized clinical trial. Stroke. 2005;36:1495–500.
39. , , , et al. Clinical consequences of infection in patients with acute stroke: Is it prime time for further antibiotic trials?Stroke. 2006;37:461–5.
40. , , , et al. Clinical prediction of functional outcome after ischemic stroke: The surprising importance of periventricular white matter disease and race. Stroke. 2009;41:530–6.
41. , , , et al. Phenytoin exposure is associated with functional and cognitive disability after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Stroke. 2005;36:583–7.
42. , . Common drugs may influence motor recovery after stroke. Neurology. 1995;45:865–71.
43. , , , et al. Bromocriptine and speech therapy in non-fluent chronic aphasia after stroke. Neurol Sci. 2000;21:19–22.
44. , , . Amphetamines for improving recovery after stroke (Cochrane systematic review). In: The Cochrane Library, 2003. Oxford: Update Software; 2003.
45. , , , et al. Leukoaraiosis in relation to prognosis for patients with lacunar infarction. Stroke. 1992;23:1434–8.
46. , , . Functional outcome in patients with lacunar infarction. Stroke. 1996;27:842–86.
47. , , , et al. The effect of white matter disease (WMD) on post-stroke outcomes: Dose–effect vs. threshold? [Abstract]. Accepted for presentation at the 34th International Conference on Stroke and Cerebral Circulation (February 2009).
48. , , , et al. Dementia after stroke: Baseline frequency, risks, and clinical features in a hospitalized cohort. Neuro. 1992;42:1185–93.
49. , , , et al. Functional potential in chronic stroke patients depends on corticospinal tract integrity. Brain. 2007;130:170–80.
50. , , for the Everest Study Investigators. Cortical stimulation for upper-extremity hemiparesis from ischemic stroke: Everest Study primary endpoint results [Abstract]. In: International Stroke Conference: 2008, New Orleans.
51. , , , et al. Predicting functional gains in a stroke trial. Stroke. 2007;38:2108–14.
52. , , . Functions of the mirror neuron system: Implications for neurorehabilitation. Cognit Behav Neurol. 2006;19:55–63.
53. , , , et al. Projected costs of ischemic stroke in the United States. Neuro. 2006;67:1390–5.