1. . Operative vaginal delivery use of forceps and vacuum extractors for operative vaginal delivery. ACOG Practice Bulletin 2000; 17: 1–6.
2. . Operative Vaginal Delivery. Green-top Guideline No. 26. London: RCOG, 2005.
3. . Intrapartum Care; Care of Healthy Women and their Babies during Childbirth. NICE clinical guideline. London: NICE, 2007.
4. , , . How long is too long: does a prolonged second stage of labor in nulliparous women affect maternal and neonatal outcomes? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 194: 933–8.
5. , , , . Duration of the second stage of labour in multiparous women: Maternal and neonatal outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007; 196: 585.e1–e6.
6. , , , et al. The prognostic impact of a prolonged second stage of labor on maternal and fetal outcome. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2002; 81: 214–21.
7. , , . Neonatal and maternal morbidity in relation to the length of the second stage of labour. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1992; 99: 381–5.
8. , , , . Persistent fetal occiput posterior position: obstetric outcome. Obstet Gynecol 2003; 101: 915–20.
9. . Epidural versus non-epidural analgesia for pain relief in labour (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 3, Oxford; 2000.
10. , , , . Continuous support for women during childbirth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 3: CD003766. Review.
11. , . Position for women during second stage of labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 3. Art. No.: CD002006.pub2. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002006.pub2.
12. , , , . Delayed versus early pushing in women with epidural analgesia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2004; 111: 1333–40.
13. , , , et al. A randomized trial of coached versus uncoached maternal pushing during the second stage of labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2006; 194: 10–3.
14. , , , et al. A randomized trial of coached versus uncoached maternal pushing during the second stage of labor on postpartum pelvic floor structure and function. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005; 192: 1692–6.
15. , . Episiotomy for vaginal birth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 1: CD000081(1).
16. , , , et al. Risk factors for obstetric anal sphincter injury: a prospective study. Birth 2006; 33: 117–22.
17. , , , , . Cohort study of operative delivery in the second stage of labour and standard of obstetric care. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2003; 110: 610–5.
18. , , , , . Cohort study of the early maternal and neonatal morbidity associated with operative delivery in the second stage of labour. Lancet 2001; 358: 1203–7.
19. , , , . Predictors of failed operative vaginal delivery: a single-center experience. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007; 197: 308.e5–47.
20. . Reversal of the decision for Caesarean section in the second stage of labour on the basis of consultant vaginal assessment. J Obstet Gynecol 2005; 25: 115–6.
21. , , , . Vacuum extraction: is there any need to improve the current training in the UK? Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2004; 83: 466–70.
22. , . Vacuum extraction versus forceps for assisted vaginal delivery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; 2: CD000224.
23. , , , , . A randomised controlled trial of a new handheld vacuum extraction device. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2005; 112: 1510–5.
24. , , , . A prospective randomised controlled trial of the Kiwi Omnicup versus conventional ventouse cups for vacuum-assisted vaginal delivery. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2006; 113: 183–9.
25. , , , et al. Maternal and neonatal outcome after failed ventouse delivery: comparison of forceps versus cesarean section. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2007; 20: 541–5.
26. , . Operative vaginal delivery: a comparison of forceps and vacuum for success rate and risk of rectal sphincter injury. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 191: 907–10.
27. , , , et al. Obstetric practice and faecal incontinence three months after delivery. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2001; 108: 678–83.
28. , , , . Risk factors for third degree perineal ruptures during delivery. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2001; 108: 383–7.
29. , , , Randomised clinical trial to assess anal sphincter function following forceps or vacuum assisted vaginal delivery. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2003; 110: 424–9.
30. , , , et al. Maternal and child health after assisted vaginal delivery: five-year follow up of a randomised controlled study comparing forceps and ventouse. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1999; 106: 544–9.
31. , , , et al. Pelvic floor morbidity up to one year after difficult instrumental delivery and cesarean section in the second stage of labor: a cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 191: 4–10.
32. , , . Pelvic floor morbidity at three years after instrumental delivery and caesarean section in the second stage of labor and the impact of a subsequent delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005; 192: 789–94.
33. , , , et al. Intrapartum risk factors for newborn encephalopathy: the Western Australian case-control study. Br Med J 1998; 317: 1554–8.
34. , , , . Effect of mode of delivery in nulliparaous women on neonatal intracranial injury. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 1709–14.
35. , , , , . Neurodevelopmental outcome at 5 years after operative delivery in the second stage of labor: a cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007; 197: 147e1–6.
36. , , . Blunt versus sharp expansion of the uterine incision in low-segment transverse cesarean section. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994; 171: 1022–5.
37. , , , . Failed trial of vacuum or forceps – maternal and fetal outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1997; 176: 200–4.
38. , , , et al. Operative vaginal delivery and neonatal and infant adverse outcomes: population based retrospective analysis. Br Med J 2004; 329: 24–9.
39. , , . Subsequent obstetric performance related to primary mode of delivery. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1999; 106: 227–32.
40. , . Cohort study of maternal views on future mode of delivery following operative delivery in the second stage of labour. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003; 188: 542–8.
41. , , . Outcome of subsequent pregnancy three years after previous operative delivery in the second stage of labour – cohort study. Br Med J 2004; 328: 311–4.