1. The genus Meteterakis is reconstituted with eight species: M. govindi, M. louisi, M. baylisi, M. longispiculata, M. cophotis, M. japonica, M. mabuyi and M. triaculeata.
2. M. cophotis, M. japonica and M. longispiculata were previously placed in the genus Spinicauda.
3. M. mabuyi was previously in the genus Africana.
4. M. triaculeata was previously in the genus Ganguleterakis.
5. M. baylisi and M. louisi are new species.
6. Spinicauda bufonis and, probably, Africana varani are considered synonyms of M. govindi.
7. Africana howardi is considered a synonym of M. japonica.
8. A list of the remaining species in the genera Africana and Spinicauda is given.