To send content items to your account,
please confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies.
If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your account.
Find out more about sending content to .
To send content items to your Kindle, first ensure email@example.com
is added to your Approved Personal Document E-mail List under your Personal Document Settings
on the Manage Your Content and Devices page of your Amazon account. Then enter the ‘name’ part
of your Kindle email address below.
Find out more about sending to your Kindle.
Note you can select to send to either the @free.kindle.com or @kindle.com variations.
‘@free.kindle.com’ emails are free but can only be sent to your device when it is connected to wi-fi.
‘@kindle.com’ emails can be delivered even when you are not connected to wi-fi, but note that service fees apply.
This study aims to compare conventional simultaneous integrated boost (SIB) planning technique with a hybrid SIB intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) technique with varying open tangent to IMRT field dose ratios. Furthermore, we investigated which of the dose ratios proves the most favourable as a class solution across a sample.
In total, 15 patients with conventional SIB treatment plans were re-planned with hybrid SIB IMRT technique using three differing open field:IMRT dose ratios, that is, 80:20, 70:30 and 60:40. Plans were compared using dosimetric comparison of organs at risk (OARs) and homogeneity and conformity indexes across target structures.
All hybrid plans reduced dose maximums and showed a reduction of high doses to both lungs but increased lower doses, that is, V5, with similar results discovered for the heart. Contralateral breast dose was shown to decrease V5 and V1 measures by hybrid arms, whereas increasing the V2. Left anterior descending artery dose and non-irradiated structures were reduced by all hybrid arms. The homogeneity and conformity increased across all hybrid arms. Qualitative assessment of all plans also favoured hybrid plans.
Hybrid plans produced superior dose conformity, homogeneity, reduced dose maximums and showed an improvement in most OAR parameters. The 70:30 hybrid technique exhibited greater benefits as a class solution to the sample than conventional plans due to superior dose conformity and homogeneity to target volumes.
To study the possible damage to the vestibular system in patients with post-mumps sensorineural hearing loss.
Nineteen patients with recent mumps infection participated in the study. All patients had unilateral profound sensorineural hearing loss or total hearing loss. Patients were subjected to video-nystagmography and vestibular-evoked myogenic potential testing.
Eight patients (42.1 per cent) had normal video-nystagmography results and intact vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials on both sides, whereas the other 11 patients (57.9 per cent) had vestibular lesions in the form of marked canal weakness and absent vestibular-evoked myogenic potential responses on the same side as hearing loss. The overall findings indicated a peripheral site for the lesions.
The majority of patients with post-mumps sensorineural hearing loss had peripheral vestibular pathology in the same ear as hearing loss. Further research should be directed to saving the inner ear following mumps infection.
Binary tellurite glass systems of the forms TeO2(100−x)-xAnOm where
AnOm = La2O3 or V2O5 and x = 5 to 20 for La2O3 and 10 to
50 for V2O5 were prepared. UV-spectra of these glasses were recorded in the range of
200–700 nm at room temperature. The optical energy gaps Eoptical and
have been calculated from the optical absorption edge. UV cut-off and IR cut-off have
been measured. Calculations of the oxide ion average polarizability (
optical basicity (Λ) have been done.
The effects of four progestational drugs on the composition of human milk during the first year of lactation were studied in Egyptian women. In comparison with a group of non-medicated women, chlormadinone acetate, Depo-Provera and Deladroxone all caused a marked increase in protein content in the early stages of lactation; quingestanol acetate had little overall effect. The lipid and lactose content showed irregular changes in the medicated groups as compared with the controls.
The composition of human milk during the first year of lactation was studied. The effect of age, parity and the length of inter-delivery interval on the composition is described. Of the three parameters, the length of inter-delivery intervals was the most important, while the other two were weakly correlated. (Summary in Arabic, p. 409.)
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this to your organisation's collection.