The disposal of glass blocks containing fission products in granitic geological formations is one of the options currently investigated in France. This paper discusses the major criteria selected to develop models of such repositories and gives the first results obtained with the corresponding experimental test. Five laboratory mockups corresponding to different alternatives regarding the fill materials were prepared. The following materials were used to encase the French LWR reference glass:
- Test I : Granite, sand, stainless steel;
- Test 2 : Granite, sand, illite, stainless steel;
- Test 3 : Granite, sand, bentonite, stainless steel;
- Test 4 : Granite, sand, Al2O3, ceramic, stainless steel;
- Test 5 : Granite, sand, haitalloy C4.
Samples were taken of the solutions obtained in the preconditioning cell and in contact with the glass to assess the glass corrosion behavior in each of these media. The experiments were completed by surface analyses designed to compare the morphology of the surface layers that develop with and without the environmental materials.