Has been a tradition of the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) have a great spirit of solidarity with any type of disaster. That is why the early hours of the earthquake in Haiti was appointed to a group of specialists trained in emergency care who participated in the first acts of rescue and stabilization of multiple victims. The first group of six specialists arrived Port au Prince on January 15 fieldwork being allocated in coordination with the rest of the Mexican aid mission in the sector 8 of the city, preferably at the University of Saint Gerard. Among the actions taken by this group were:
- •Application of 300 doses of immunization.
- •Tracking and signaling a radius of 3 km in search of survivors and bodies.
- •Working in conjunction with the group of Topos, the Federal Police and the Navy in the initial care, resuscitation and transfer of 9 people rescued from the rubble.
- •More than 60 dressings and sutures.
- •Monitoring and maintenance of health of mission personnel.
The second group, consisting of specialists in trauma, reconstructive surgery, anesthesiology, surgical and intensive care nurses, was part of a Field Hospital was established in conjunction with the United States at the place called “Killi Point”, involving a network trauma care in which our doctors surgically intervened the hospital ship “Comfort”. Were to a large number of cases of traumatic amputation, children and adults burned, fractures, crushing limbs and carrying large infections for obvious reasons IMSS staff recognizes the professionalism and capacity of the entire Mexican mission of humanitarian aid to Haiti and the opportunity offered to us to help a sister nation, we reiterate that we are engaged, if required again to respond with the same promptly and sense of humanity shown so far.