To send content items to your account,
please confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies.
If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your account.
Find out more about sending content to .
To send content items to your Kindle, first ensure firstname.lastname@example.org
is added to your Approved Personal Document E-mail List under your Personal Document Settings
on the Manage Your Content and Devices page of your Amazon account. Then enter the ‘name’ part
of your Kindle email address below.
Find out more about sending to your Kindle.
Note you can select to send to either the @free.kindle.com or @kindle.com variations.
‘@free.kindle.com’ emails are free but can only be sent to your device when it is connected to wi-fi.
‘@kindle.com’ emails can be delivered even when you are not connected to wi-fi, but note that service fees apply.
Although percutaneous closure of patent ductus arteriosus is an established safe procedure, protrusion of the device to descending aorta may occur in various degrees during these procedures, especially in small infants. The aim of our study is to evaluate the benefits of balloon-assisted device releasing technique in the era of preventing device protrusion and conditions related to protrusion.
One hundred and fifty-five infants, who underwent patent ductus arteriosus closure with Amplatzer duct occluder I device between January, 2012 and December, 2018, were retrospectively analysed. Balloon-assisted device releasing technique was used in 20 cases (group 1, 12.9%), between January, 2015 and December, 2018. Procedures in which the technique had been used were compared with the remaining ones (group 2, 87.1%, n = 135) with regard to device stabilisation, aortic disc protrusion to the aorta, iatrogenic coarctation, and device embolisation.
There was no significant difference by means of gender, age, weight, and the ductal diameter, whereas the average mean pulmonary artery pressure was significantly higher in group 1. Device protrusion and related complications were significantly higher in group 2; thus, additional catheterisations or surgical interventions were required, while no additional intervention was required in group 1.
The balloon-assisted device releasing technique provides a good device stabilisation and prevents protrusion of the device and related complications during percutaneous patent ductus arteriosus closure in selected cases.
The CeraFlexTM PDA occluder is a new flexible device with a unique delivery system that may be beneficial with regard to not changing the device position after releasing. We prospectively evaluate the efficacy of the device and also the device behaviour patterns during release.
The study included 21 patients. Their median age was 1.2 years (from 6 months to 28 years) and weight was 9.6 kg (from 5.4 to 82 kg). All of the ducts were conical except one atypical ductus. Median ductal diameter at the pulmonary end was 3.8 mm (from 2.2 to 8.2 mm). The ductus was closed using an antegrade approach, but special attention was paid to the patterns of device behaviour during and just after releasing.
Three different modes of device behaviour were observed during and just after releasing: (1) Neither difficulty nor change of position in 13 patients (62%), (2) a little difficulty in releasing but no change of position in 6 (29%), and (3) change of the device position in 2 (9%). There was no residual shunt on the next day except in one patient, in whom late device embolisation occurred. The device was retrieved and another, bigger device implanted.
The CeraFlexTM PDA occlude device seems to be safe and efficacious for patent ductus arteriosus closure. Its unique delivery system generally fixes the device in a stable position that does not change after release (91%). Minor difficulty in releasing is not uncommon; however, the major disadvantage is the need for larger sheaths for delivery.
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this to your organisation's collection.