1. Bundred, P, Kitchiner, D & Buchan, I (2001) Prevalence of overweight and obese children between 1989 and 1998: population based series of cross sectional studies. BMJ 322, 326–328.
2. Goran, MI (2001) Metabolic precursors and effects of obesity in children: a decade of progress, 1990–1999. Am J Clin Nutr 73, 158–171.
3. Kotani, K, Nishida, M, Yamashita, S et al. (1997) Two decades of annual medical examinations in Japanese obese children: do obese children grow into obese adults? Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 21, 912–921.
4. Whitaker, RC, Wright, JA, Pepe, MS et al. (1997) Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 337, 869–873.
5. Caballero, B (2001) Early nutrition and risk of disease in the adult. Public Health Nutr 2, 335–336.
12. Swanton, K & Frost, M (2007) Lightening the Load: Tackling Overweight and Obesity. A Toolkit for Developing Local Strategies to Tackle Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adults. London: National Heart Forum in association with the Faculty of Public Health; available at http://www.kentsport.org/pdfs/obesity_toolkit_full.pdf 16. Crawley, H (2006) Eating Well for Under-5s in Child Care: Practical Nutritional Guidelines, 2nd ed. St Austell: Caroline Walter Trust; available at http://www.cwt.org.uk/pdfs/Under5s.pdf
24. Benjamin, SE, Haines, J, Ball, SC et al. (2008) Improving nutrition and physical activity in child care: what parents recommend. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 1907–1911.
25. Campbell, KJ & Hesketh, KD (2007) Strategies which aim to positively impact on weight, physical activity, diet and sedentary behaviours in children from zero to five years. A systematic review of the literature. Obes Rev 8, 327–338.
26. Fitzgibbon, ML, Stolley, MR, Dyer, AR et al. (2002) A Community-based obesity prevention program for minority children: rationale and study design for Hip-Hop to Health Jr. Prev Med 34, 289–297.
29. Matwiejczyk, L, McWhinnie, JA & Colmer, K (2007) An evaluation of a nutrition intervention at childcare centres in South Australia. Health Promot J Aust 18, 159–162.
30. Mother and Infant Research Unit (2007) The Effectiveness of Public Health Interventions to Improve the Nutrition of Children Aged 2–5 Years. York: Mother and Infant Research Unit, University of York.
34. Romaine, N, Mann, L, Kienapple, K et al. (2008) Menu planning for childcare centres: practices and needs. Can J Diet Pract Res 68, 7–13.
36. Talvia, S, Lagström, H, Räsänen, M et al. (2004) A randomized intervention since infancy to reduce intake of saturated fat calorie (energy) and nutrient intakes up to the age of 10 years in the Special Turku Coronary Risk Factor Intervention Project. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158, 41–47.
37. Williams, CL, Bollella, MC, Strobino, BA et al. (2002) ‘Healthy-start’: outcome of an intervention to promote a heart healthy diet in preschool children. J Am Coll Nutr 21, 62–71.
38. Williams, CL, Squillace, MM, Bollella, MC et al. (1998) Healthy Start: a comprehensive health education program for preschool children. Prev Med 27, 216–223.
39. Williams, CL, Strobino, BA, Bollella, M et al. (2004) Cardiovascular risk reduction in preschool children: the ‘Healthy Start’ project. J Am Coll Nutr 23, 117–123.
40. Green, J & Thorogood, N (2007) Qualitative Methods for Health Research. London: Sage Publications.
41. Ritchie, J, Lewis, J & Elam, G (2003) Designing and selecting samples. In: Qualitative Research and Practice: A Guide for Social Science Students and Researchers, pp. 77–108. [J Ritchie and J Lewis, editors]. London: SAGE Publications.
42. Lloyd-Williams, F, Bristow, K, Motswama, M et al. (2010) Young Children's Food in Liverpool Day Care Settings: A Qualitative Study of Pre-school Nutrition Policy and Practice. Liverpool: University of Liverpool & Heart of Mersey.