1. Kuhnlein, HV, Chan, HM, Leggee, D et al. (2002) Macronutrient, mineral and fatty acid composition of Canadian arctic traditional food. J Food Compost Anal 15, 545–566.
2. Hassan, AA, Sandanger, TM & Brustad, M (2012) Selected vitamins and essential elements in meat from semi-domesticated reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus L.) in mid- and northern Norway: geographical variations and effect of animal population density. Nutrients 4, 724–739.
3. Kuhnlein, H, Erasmus, B, Creed-Kanashiro, H et al. (2006) Indigenous peoples’ food systems for health: finding interventions that work. Public Health Nutr 9, 1013–1019.
4. Kuhnlein, HV (2015) Food system sustainability for health and well-being of Indigenous Peoples. Public Health Nutr 18, 2415–2424.
5. McLaughlin, JB, Middaugh, JP, Utermohle, CJ et al. (2004) Changing patterns of risk factors and mortality for coronary heart disease among Alaska Natives, 1979–2002. JAMA 291, 2545–2546.
6. Friborg, JT & Melbye, M (2008) Cancer patterns in Inuit populations. Lancet Oncol 9, 892–900.
7. Jernigan, VB, Duran, B, Ahn, D et al. (2010) Changing patterns in health behaviors and risk factors related to cardiovascular disease among American Indians and Alaska Natives. Am J Public Health 100, 677–683.
8. Kuhnlein, HV, Receveur, O, Soueida, R et al. (2004) Arctic indigenous peoples experience the nutrition transition with changing dietary patterns and obesity. J Nutr 134, 1447–1453.
10. Aubert, V (1978) Den samiske befolkningen i Nord-Norge. vol. 107: Sámi ál’bmut Davvi-Norgas (The Lappish Population in Northern Norway. vol. 107: Sámi ál’bmut Davvi-Norgas). Oslo: Statistisk sentralbyrå.
11. Solbakk, JT & Biti, BH (2006)
Samene: en handbook (The Sámi People: A Handbook). Karasjok: Davvi Girji AS.
12. Solvang, A & Øgrim, ME (1967)
Kostholdsundersøkelser i Kautokeino og Karasjok (Dietary Surveys in Kautokeino and Karasjok). Oslo: Landsforeningen for kosthold og helse.
13. Bardølsgaard, K & Øgrim, ME (1963) Kostholdsundersøkelser i Havøysund (Dietary Surveys in Havøysund). Oslo: Landsforeningen for kosthold og helse.
14. Solvang, A & Øgrim, ME (1963) Kostholdsundersøkelser i Gamvik herred (Dietary Surveys in Gamvik). Oslo: Landsforeningen for kosthold og helse.
15. Sørum, HM & Øgrim, ME (1962) Kostholdsundersøkelser i Polmak (Dietary Surveys in Polmak). Oslo: Landsforeningen for kosthold og helse.
16. Nystad, T, Melhus, M, Brustad, M et al. (2010) The effect of coffee consumption on serum total cholesterol in the Sami and Norwegian populations. Public Health Nutr 13, 1818–1825.
17. Nilsen, H, Utsi, E & Bønaa, KH (1999) Dietary and nutrient intake of a Sami population living in traditional reindeer herding areas in north Norway: comparisons with a group of Norwegians. Int J Circumpolar Health 58, 120–133.
18. Thørring, H, Hosseini, A & Skuterud, L (2004) Kostholdsundersøkelser 1999 og 2002: reindriftsutøvere i Kautokeino (Dietary Surveys in 1999 and 2002: Reindeer Herders in Kautokeino). Østerås: Statens strålevern.
19. Broderstad, AR, Melhus, M, Brustad, M et al. (2011) Iron stores in relation to dietary patterns in a multiethnic population: the SAMINOR study. Public Health Nutr 14, 1039–1046.
20. Brustad, M, Parr, CL, Melhus, M et al. (2008) Dietary patterns in the population living in the Sami core areas of Norway – the SAMINOR study. Int J Circumpolar Health 67, 82–96.
21. Brustad, M, Parr, CL, Melhus, M et al. (2008) Childhood diet in relation to Sami and Norwegian ethnicity in northern and mid-Norway – the SAMINOR study. Public Health Nutr 11, 168–175.
22. Nilsson, LM, Dahlgren, L, Johansson, I et al. (2011) Diet and lifestyle of the Sami of southern Lapland in the 1930s–1950s and today. Int J Circumpolar Health 70, 301–318.
23. Nilsson, LM, Winkvist, A, Brustad, M et al. (2012) A traditional Sami diet score as a determinant of mortality in a general northern Swedish population. Int J Circumpolar Health 71, 1–12.
24. Nilsson, LM, Winkvist, A, Eliasson, M et al. (2012) Low-carbohydrate, high-protein score and mortality in a northern Swedish population-based cohort. Eur J Clin Nutr 66, 694–700.
25. Nilsson, LM, Johansson, I, Lenner, P et al. (2010) Consumption of filtered and boiled coffee and the risk of incident cancer: a prospective cohort study. Cancer Causes Control 21, 1533–1544.
26. Nilsson, LM, Wennberg, M, Lindahl, B et al. (2010) Consumption of filtered and boiled coffee and the risk of first acute myocardial infarction; a nested case/referent study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20, 527–535.
27. World Health Organization (1985) Energy and Protein Requirements. Report of a Joint FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 724. Geneva: WHO.
28. Lund, E, Melhus, M, Hansen, KL et al. (2007) Population based study of health and living conditions in areas with both Sami and Norwegian populations – the SAMINOR study. Int J Circumpolar Health 66, 113–128.
29. Parr, CL, Veierød, MB, Laake, P et al. (2006) Test–retest reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire (FFQ) and estimated effects on disease risk in the Norwegian Women and Cancer Study (NOWAC). Nutr J 5, 4.
30. Hjartåker, A, Lund, E & Bjerve, KS (1997) Serum phospholipid fatty acid composition and habitual intake of marine foods registered by a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr 51, 736–742.
31. Hjartåker, A, Andersen, LF & Lund, E (2007) Comparison of diet measures from a food-frequency questionnaire with measures from repeated 24-hour dietary recalls. The Norwegian Women and Cancer Study. Public Health Nutr 10, 1094–1103.
32. Davino, C, Furno, M & Vistocco, D (2014) Quantile Regression. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
33. Brox, J, Bjørnstad, E & Olaussen, K (2003) Hemoglobin, iron, nutrition and life-style among adolescents in a coastal and an inland community in northern Norway. Int J Circumpolar Health 62, 130–141.
34. Andersen, S, Rex, KF, Noahsen, P et al. (2014) Forty-five year trends in overweight and obesity in an indigenous arctic Inuit society in transition and spatiotemporal trends. Am J Hum Biol 26, 511–517.
35. Nystad, T, Melhus, M, Brustad, M et al. (2010) Ethnic differences in the prevalence of general and central obesity among the Sami and Norwegian populations: the SAMINOR study. Scand J Public Health 38, 17–24.
36. Broderstad, AR & Melhus, M (2016) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitus in Sami and Norwegian populations. The SAMINOR – a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open 6, e009474.
37. Njølstad, I, Arnesen, E & Lund-Larsen, PG (1998) Cardiovascular diseases and diabetes mellitus in different ethnic groups: the Finnmark study. Epidemiology 9, 550–556.
38. Naseribafrouei, A, Eliassen, BM, Melhus, M et al. (2016) Ethnic difference in the prevalence of pre-diabetes and diabetes mellitus in regions with Sami and non-Sami populations in Norway – the SAMINOR1 study. Int J Circumpolar Health 75, 31697.
39. Johnson-Down, L, Labonte, ME, Martin, ID et al. (2015) Quality of diet is associated with insulin resistance in the Cree (Eeyouch) indigenous population of northern Quebec. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 25, 85–92.
40. Ryman, TK, Boyer, BB, Hopkins, S et al. (2015) Associations between diet and cardiometabolic risk among Yup’ik Alaska Native people using food frequency questionnaire dietary patterns. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 25, 1140–1145.
41. Siri, SRA (2015) Use of Sami Ethnicity in Health Research and Registries. Tromsø: Centre for Sami Health Research, UiT The Arctic University of Norway.
42. Pettersen, T (2015) Sami ethnicity as a variable. PhD Thesis, UiT The Arctic University of Norway.