1. Webb, AR (2006) Who, what, where and when – influences on cutaneous vitamin D synthesis. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 92, 17–25.
2. Armstrong, BK & Kricker, A (2001) The epidemiology of UV induced skin cancer. J Photochem Photobiol B 63, 8–18.
3. O’Mahony, L, Stepien, M, Gibney, MJ et al. (2011) The potential role of vitamin D enhanced foods in improving vitamin D status. Nutrients 3, 1023–1041.
4. Poh, BK, Ng, BK, Siti Haslinda, MD et al. (2013) Nutritional status and dietary intakes of children aged 6 months to 12 years: findings of the nutrition survey of Malaysian children (SEANUTS Malaysia). Br J Nutr 110, Suppl. 3, S21–S35.
5. Musa, N, Chee, WSS, Pendek, R et al. (2013) Effects of sun exposure on 25(OH) vitamin D concentration in urban and rural women in Malaysia. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 22, 391–399.
6. Al-Sadat, N, Majid, HA, Sim, PY et al. (2016) Vitamin D deficiency in Malaysian adolescents aged 13 years: findings from the Malaysian Health and Adolescents Longitudinal Research Team study (MyHeARTs). BMJ Open 6, e010689.
7. Macdonald, HM, Mavroeidi, A, Fraser, WD et al. (2011) Sunlight and dietary contributions to the seasonal vitamin D status of cohorts of healthy postmenopausal women living at northerly latitudes: a major cause for concern? Osteoporos Int 18, 2461–2472.
8. Darling, AL, Hart, KH, Macdonald, HM et al. (2013) Vitamin D deficiency in UK South Asian women of childbearing age: a comparative longitudinal investigation with UK Caucasian women. Osteoporos Int 24, 477–488.
9. Norman, AW (1998) Sunlight, season, skin pigmentation, vitamin D, and 25-hydroxyvitamin D: integral components of the vitamin D endocrine system. Am J Clin Nutr 67, 1108–1110.
10. Bogh, MKB, Schmedes, AV, Philipsen, PA et al. (2010) Vitamin D production after UVB exposure depends on baseline vitamin D and total cholesterol but not on skin pigmentation. J Invest Dermatol 130, 546–553.
11. Hakim, OA, Hart, K, McCabe, P et al. (2016) Vitamin D production in UK Caucasian and South Asian women following UVR exposure. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 164, 223–229.
12. Kift, R, Berry, JL, Vail, A et al. (2013) Lifestyle factors including less cutaneous sun exposure contribute to starkly lower vitamin D levels in UK South Asians compared with the white population. Br J Dermatol 169, 1272–1278.
13. Fitzpatrick, T (1988) The validity and practicality of sun-reactive skin types I through VI. Arch Dermatol 124, 869–871.
14. Challoner, A, Corless, D, Davis, A et al. (1976) Personnel monitoring of exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Clin Exp Dermatol 1, 175–179.
15. Diffey, BL (1999) Human exposure to ultraviolet radiation. In Photodermatology, pp. 5–24 [J Hawk, editor]. London: Arnold.
16. Holick, M (1995) Environmental factors that influence the cutaneous production of vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr 61, 3 Suppl., 638S–645S.
17. Godar, DE, Pope, SJ, Grant, WB et al. (2012) Solar UV doses of young Americans and vitamin D3 production. Environ Health Perspect 120, 139–143.
18. Tee, E, Ismail, M, Nasir, M et al. (1997) Nutrient Composition of Malaysian Foods, 4th ed. Kuala Lumpur: Institute for Medical Research Kuala Lumpur.
19. Food Standards Agency (2002) McCance and Widdowson’s The Composition of Foods, 6th ed. London: The Royal Society of Chemistry.
21. National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition (2017) Recommended Nutrient Intakes for Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur: Ministry of Health Malaysia.
22. Turnbull, DJ, Parisi, AV & Kimlin, MG (2005) Vitamin D effective ultraviolet wavelengths due to scattering in shade. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 96, 431–436.
23. Jang, H, Koo, FK, Ke, L et al. (2013) Culture and sun exposure in immigrant East Asian women living in Australia. Women Health 53, 504–518.
24. Shankar, PR & Subish, P (2007) Fair skin in South Asia: an obsession? JPAD 17, 101–114.
25. Kimlin, MG (2008) Geographic location and vitamin D synthesis. Mol Aspects Med 29, 453–461.
26. Engelsen, O, Brustad, M, Aksnes, L et al. (2005) Daily duration of vitamin D synthesis in human skin with relation to latitude, total ozone, altitude, ground cover, aerosols and cloud thickness. Photochem Photobiol 81, 1287–1290.
27. Agarwal, K, Mughal, M, Upadhyay, P et al. (2002) The impact of atmospheric pollution on vitamin D status of infants and toddlers in Delhi, India. Arch Dis Child 87, 111–113.
28. Baïz, N, Dargent-Molina, P, Wark, JD et al. (2012) Gestational exposure to urban air pollution related to a decrease in cord blood vitamin D levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97, 4087–4095.
29. Engel-Cox, JA, Nair, NL & Ford, JL (2012) Evaluation of solar and meteorological data relevant to solar energy technology performance in Malaysia. J Sustain Energy Environ 3, 115–124.