1. Mi, YJ, Zhang, B, Wang, HJ et al. (2015) Prevalence and secular trends in obesity among Chinese adults, 1991−2011. Am J Prev Med 49, 661–669.
2. Kennedy, ET, Bowman, SA, Spence, JT et al. (2001) Popular diets: correlation to health, nutrition, and obesity. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 411–420.
3. Rolls, BJ (2010) Dietary strategies for the prevention and treatment of obesity. Proc Nutr Soc 69, 70–79.
4. Wang, Z, Zhai, F, Du, S et al. (2008) Dynamic shifts in Chinese eating behaviors. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17, 123–130.
5. World Health Organization (2003) Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases. Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 916. Geneva: WHO.
6. US Department of Health and Human Services & US Department of Agriculture (2005) Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 6th ed. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.
7. Mendoza, JA, Drewnowski, A & Christakis, DA (2007) Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and the metabolic syndrome in US adults. Diabetes Care 30, 974–979.
8. Kant, A & Graubard, B (2005) Energy density of diets reported by American adults: association with food group intake, nutrient intake, and body weight. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 950–956.
9. Ledikwe, JH, Blanck, HM, Khan, LK et al. (2006) Dietary energy density is associated with energy intake and weight status in US adults. Am J Clin Nutr 83, 1362–1368.
10. Vernarelli, JA, Mitchell, DC, Rolls, BJ et al. (2015) Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and other biomarkers of chronic disease in US adults. Eur J Nutr 54, 59–65.
11. Romaguera, D, Ängquist, L, Du, H et al. (2010) Dietary determinants of changes in waist circumference adjusted for body mass index – a proxy measure of visceral adiposity. PLoS One 5, e11588.
12. Murakami, K, Sasaki, S, Takahashi, Y et al. (2007) Dietary energy density is associated with body mass index and waist circumference, but not with other metabolic risk factors, in free-living young Japanese women. Nutrition 23, 798–806.
13. Iqbal, SI, Helge, JW & Heitmann, BL (2006) Do energy density and dietary fiber influence subsequent 5-year weight changes in adult men and women? Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 106–114.
14. Azadbakht, L, Haghighatdoost, F & Esmaillzadeh, A (2012) Dietary energy density is inversely associated with the diet quality indices among Iranian young adults. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 58, 29–35.
15. de Castro, JM (2004) Dietary energy density is associated with increased intake in free-living humans. J Nutr 134, 335–341.
16. Grossniklaus, DA, Dunbar, SB, Gary, R et al. (2012) Dietary energy density: a mediator of depressive symptoms and abdominal obesity or independent predictor of abdominal obesity? Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 11, 423–431.
17. de Castro, JM (2005) Stomach filling may mediate the influence of dietary energy density on the food intake of free-living humans. Physiol Behav 86, 32–45.
18. Cox, DN & Mela, JD (2000) Determination of energy density of freely selected diets: methodological issues and implications. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 49–54.
19. Kyle, UG, Morabia, A, Schutz, Y et al. (2004) Sedentarism affects body fat mass index and fat-free mass index in adults aged 18 to 98 years. Nutrition 20, 255–260.
20. Stookey, J (2001) Energy density, energy intake and weight status in a large free-living sample of Chinese adults: exploring the underlying roles of fat, protein, carbohydrate, fiber and water intakes. Eur J Clin Nutr 55, 349–359.
21. Xue, H, Yang, M, Liu, Y et al. (2017) Relative validity of a 2-day 24-hour dietary recall compared with a 2-day weighed dietary record among adults in South China. Nutr Diet 74, 298–307.
22. Sichuan Bureau Statistics (2015) Statistical Yearbook of Sichuan Province 2015. Beijing: China Statistics Press.
23. Yu, D, Zhang, X, Xiang, YB et al. (2014) Adherence to dietary guidelines and mortality: a report from prospective cohort studies of 134,000 Chinese adults in urban Shanghai. Am J Clin Nutr 100, 693–700.
24. Yuexin, Y & Yaguang, W (2009) China Food Composition, 2rd ed. Beijing: Peking University Medical Press.
25. Daniels, MC & Popkin, BM (2010) Impact of water intake on energy intake and weight status: a systematic review. Nutr Rev 68, 505–521.
26. Kant, AK, Graubard, BI & Mattes, RD (2012) Association of food form with self-reported 24-h energy intake and meal patterns in US adults: NHANES 2003–2008. Am J Clin Nutr 96, 1369–1378.
27. Jaffiol, C (2008) Milk and dairy products in the prevention and therapy of obesity, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Bull Acad Natl Med 192, 749–758.
28. Schröder, H, Morales-Molina, JA, Bermejo, S et al. (2007) Relationship of abdominal obesity with alcohol consumption at population scale. Eur J Nutr 46, 369–376.
29. Ma, YX, Zhang, B, Wang, HJ et al. (2011) Status and trend of alcohol consumption among adults in nine provinces (autonomous region) of China from 1993 to 2006. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 45, 323–329.
30. Liu, AD, Zhang, B, Du, WW et al. (2011) Milk consumption and its changing trend of Chinese adult aged 18–44 in nine provinces (autonomous region) from 1991 to 2006. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 45, 304–309.
31. Ledikwe, JH, Blanck, HM, Khan, LK et al. (2005) Dietary energy density determined by eight calculation methods in a nationally representative United States population. J Nutr 135, 273–278.
32. World Health Organization (1995) Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. WHO Technical Report Series no. 854. Geneva: WHO.
33. Liu, X, Sun, Q, Sun, L et al. (2015) The development and validation of new equations for estimating body fat percentage among Chinese men and women. Br J Nutr 113, 1365–1372.
34. Vanitallie, TB, Yang, MU, Heymsfield, SB et al. (1990) Height-normalized indices of the body’s fat-free mass and fat mass: potentially useful indicators of nutritional status. Am J Clin Nutr 52, 953–959.
35. Matthews, CE, Shu, XO, Yang, G et al. (2003) Reproducibility and validity of the Shanghai Women’s Health Study physical activity questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 158, 1114–1122.
36. Peterson, MD, Al Snih, S, Stoddard, J et al. (2014) Adiposity and insufficient MVPA predict cardiometabolic abnormalities in adults. Medi Sci Sports Exerc 46, 1133–1139.
37. Wells, JCK (2007) Sexual dimorphism of body composition. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21, 415–430.
38. Johnson, L, Wilks, DC, Lindroos, AK et al. (2009) Reflections from a systematic review of dietary energy density and weight gain: is the inclusion of drinks valid? Obes Rev 10, 681–692.
39. Howarth, NC, Murphy, SP, Wilkens, LR et al. (2006) Dietary energy density is associated with overweight status among 5 ethnic groups in the multiethnic cohort study. J Nutr 136, 2243–2248.
40. Shahar, DR, Yerushalmi, N, Lubin, F et al. (2001) Seasonal variations in dietary intake affect the consistency of dietary assessment. Eur J Epidemiol 17, 129–133.
41. Willett, W (editor) (1990) Diet history methods. In Nutritional Epidemiology, pp. 23–25. New York: Oxford University Press.