2. Ehrlich, GE (2003) Low back pain. Bull World Health Organ 81, 671–676.
3. Brooks, PM (2006) The burden of musculoskeletal disease – a global perspective. Clin Rheumatol 25, 778–781.
4. Stovner, L, Hagen, K, Jensen, R et al. (2007) The global burden of headache: a documentation of headache prevalence and disability worldwide. Cephalalgia 27, 193–210.
5. Phillips, CJ (2009) The cost and burden of chronic pain. Rev Pain 3, 2–5.
6. Clauw, DJ (2014) Fibromyalgia: a clinical review. JAMA 311, 1547–1555.
7. Hoy, D, March, L, Brooks, P et al. (2014) The global burden of low back pain: estimates from the Global Burden of Disease 2010 study. Ann Rheum Dis 73, 968–974.
8. Cross, M, Smith, E, Hoy, D et al. (2014) The global burden of rheumatoid arthritis: estimates from the global burden of disease 2010 study. Ann Rheum Dis 73, 1316–1322.
9. Borman, P & Celiker, R (1999) A comparative analysis of quality of life in rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. J Musculoskelet Pain 7, 5–14.
10. Arnold, LM, Crofford, LJ, Mease, PJ et al. (2008) Patient perspectives on the impact of fibromyalgia. Patient Educ Couns 73, 114–120.
11. Woolf, AD & Pfleger, B (2003) Burden of major musculoskeletal conditions. Bull World Health Organ 81, 646–656.
12. Yelin, E (2003) Cost of musculoskeletal diseases: impact of work disability and functional decline. J Rheumatol Suppl 68, 8–11.
13. Holick, MF (2006) High prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy and implications for health. Mayo Clinic Proc 81, 353–373.
14. Simpson, RU, Thomas, GA & Arnold, AJ (1985) Identification of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptors and activities in muscle. J Biol Chem 260, 8882–8891.
15. Ross, AC, Manson, JE, Abrams, SA et al. (2011) The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine: what clinicians need to know. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96, 53–58.
16. Hilger, J, Friedel, A, Herr, R et al. (2014) A systematic review of vitamin D status in populations worldwide. Br J Nutr 111, 23–45.
17. Arabi, A, El Rassi, R & El-Hajj Fuleihan, G (2010) Hypovitaminosis D in developing countries – prevalence, risk factors and outcomes. Nat Rev Endocrinol 6, 550–561.
18. Hossein-nezhad, A & Holick, MF (2013) Vitamin D for health: a global perspective. Mayo Clin Proc 88, 720–755.
19. Thacher, TD & Clarke, BL (2011) Vitamin D insufficiency. Mayo Clin Proc 86, 50–60.
20. Michalska-Kasiczak, M, Sahebkar, A, Mikhailidis, DP et al. (2015) Analysis of vitamin D levels in patients with and without statin-associated myalgia – a systematic review and meta-analysis of 7 studies with 2420 patients. Int J Cardiol 178, 111–116.
21. Hsiao, MY, Hung, CY, Chang, KV et al. (2015) Is serum hypovitaminosis D associated with chronic widespread pain including fibromyalgia? A meta-analysis of observational studies. Pain Physician 18, E877–E887.
22. Shipton, EE & Shipton, EA (2015) Vitamin D deficiency and pain: clinical evidence of low levels of vitamin D and supplementation in chronic pain states. Pain Ther 4, 67–87.
23. Straube, S, Derry, S, Straube, C et al. (2015) Vitamin D for the treatment of chronic painful conditions in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 5, CD007771.
24. Wu, Z, Malihi, Z, Stewart, AW et al. (2016) Effect of vitamin D supplementation on pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain Physician 19, 415–427.
26. Takahashi, N & Hashizume, M (2014) A systematic review of the influence of occupational organophosphate pesticides exposure on neurological impairment. BMJ Open 4, e004798.
27. Wan, X, Wang, W, Liu, J et al. (2014) Estimating the sample mean and standard deviation from the sample size, median, range and/or interquartile range. BMC Med Res Methodol 14, 135.
28. Borenstein, M, Hedges, LV, Higgins, JPT et al. (2010) A basic introduction to fixed-effect and random-effects models for meta-analysis. Res Synth Methods 1, 97–111.
29. Altman, DG & Bland, JM (2003) Interaction revisited: the difference between two estimates. BMJ 326, 219.
30. Egger, M, Davey Smith, G, Schneider, M et al. (1997) Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ 315, 629–634.
31. Macfarlane, GJ, Palmer, B, Roy, D et al. (2005) An excess of widespread pain among South Asians: are low levels of vitamin D implicated? Ann Rheum Dis 64, 1217–1219.
32. Duell, PB & Connor, WE (2008) Vitamin D deficiency is associated with myalgias in hyperlipidemic subjects taking statins. Circulation 118, S470–S470.
33. Hicks, GE, Shardell, M, Miller, RR et al. (2008) Associations between vitamin D status and pain in older adults: the Invecchiare in Chianti study. J Am Geriatr Soc 56, 785–791.
34. Ahmed, W, Khan, N, Glueck, CJ et al. (2009) Low serum 25 (OH) vitamin D levels (<32 ng/mL) are associated with reversible myositis-myalgia in statin-treated patients. Transl Res 153, 11–16.
35. Golan, E, Haggiag, I, Os, P et al. (2009) Calcium, parathyroid hormone, and vitamin D: major determinants of chronic pain in hemodialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4, 1374–1380.
36. Linde, R, Peng, L, Desai, M et al. (2010) The role of vitamin D and SLCO1B1*5 gene polymorphism in statin-associated myalgias. Dermatoendocrinology 2, 77–84.
37. McBeth, J, Pye, SR, O’Neill, TW et al. (2010) Musculoskeletal pain is associated with very low levels of vitamin D in men: results from the European Male Ageing Study. Ann Rheum Dis 69, 1448–1452.
38. Backes, JM, Barnes, BJ, Ruisinger, JF et al. (2011) A comparison of 25-hydroxyvitamin D serum levels among those with or without statin-associated myalgias. Atherosclerosis 218, 247–249.
39. Kjaergaard, M, Eggen, AE, Mathiesen, EB et al. (2012) Association between headache and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D: the Tromsø Study: Tromsø 6. Headache 52, 1499–1505.
40. Riphagen, IJ, van der Veer, E, Muskiet, FA et al. (2012) Myopathy during statin therapy in the daily practice of an outpatient cardiology clinic: prevalence, predictors and relation with vitamin D. Curr Med Res Opin 28, 1247–1252.
41. e Silva, AV, Lacativa, PG, Russo, LA et al. (2013) Association of back pain with hypovitaminosis D in postmenopausal women with low bone mass. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 14, 184.
42. Eisen, A, Lev, E, Iakobishvilli, Z et al. (2014) Low plasma vitamin D levels and muscle-related adverse effects in statin users. Isr Med Assoc J 16, 42–45.
43. Madani, M, Alavi, NM & Taghizadeh, M (2014) Non-specific musculoskeletal pain and vitamin D deficiency in female nurses in Kashan, Iran. J Musculoskelet Pain 22, 268–274.
44. Alipour, M, Hosseini, SR, Saadat, P et al. (2015) The relationship between chronic musculoskeletal pain and vitamin D deficiency in the elderly population of Amirkola, Iran. J Babol Univ Med Sci 17, 7–14.
45. Hirani, V, Blyth, FM, Naganathan, V et al. (2015) Active vitamin D (1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D) is associated with chronic pain in older Australian men: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 70, 387–395.
46. Morioka, TY, Lee, AJ, Bertisch, S et al. (2015) Vitamin D status modifies the association between statin use and musculoskeletal pain: a population based study. Atherosclerosis 238, 77–82.
47. Tasoglu, O, Kutsal, YG, Tasoglu, I et al. (2015) Is vitamin D deficiency a risk factor for the development of statin-induced myalgia in patients receiving statins? Turk Fiz Tip Rehab D 61, 314–319.
48. Virtanen, JK, Giniatullin, R, Mantyselka, P et al. (2017) Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with higher risk of frequent headache in middle-aged and older men. Sci Rep 7, 39697.
49. Pietschmann, P, Machold, KP, Wolosczuk, W et al. (1989) Serum osteocalcin concentrations in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 48, 654–657.
50. Muller, K, Kriegbaum, NJ, Baslund, B et al. (1995) Vitamin D3 metabolism in patients with rheumatic diseases: low serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Rheumatol 14, 397–400.
51. Al-Allaf, AW, Mole, PA, Paterson, CR et al. (2003) Bone health in patients with fibromyalgia. Rheumatology 42, 1202–1206.
52. Benson, J, Wilson, A, Stocks, N et al. (2006) Muscle pain as an indicator of vitamin D deficiency in an urban Australian Aboriginal population. Med J Aust 185, 76–77.
53. Cutolo, M, Otsa, K, Laas, K et al. (2006) Circannual vitamin d serum levels and disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis: Northern versus Southern Europe. Clin Exp Rheumatol 24, 702–704.
54. Lotfi, A, Abdel-Nasser, AM, Hamdy, A et al. (2007) Hypovitaminosis D in female patients with chronic low back pain. Clin Rheumatol 26, 1895–1901.
55. Tandeter, H, Grynbaum, M, Zuili, I et al. (2009) Serum 25-OH vitamin D levels in patients with fibromyalgia. Isr Med Assoc J 11, 339–342.
56. de Rezende Pena, C, Grillo, LP & das Chagas Medeiros, MM (2010) Evaluation of 25-hydroxyvitamin D serum levels in patients with fibromyalgia. Clin Rheumatol 16, 365–369.
57. Heidari, B, Shirvani, JS, Firouzjahi, A et al. (2010) Association between nonspecific skeletal pain and vitamin D deficiency. Int J Rheum Dis 13, 340–346.
58. Turhanoglu, AD, Guler, H, Yonden, Z et al. (2011) The relationship between vitamin D and disease activity and functional health status in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int 31, 911–914.
59. Attar, SM (2012) Vitamin D deficiency in rheumatoid arthritis. Prevalence and association with disease activity in Western Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J 33, 520–525.
60. Baykal, T, Senel, K, Alp, F et al. (2012) Is there an association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis? Bratisl Lek Listy 113, 610–611.
61. Dong, H, Xu, L & Bi, L (2012) An investigation on vitamin D levels in peripheral blood in rheumatoid arthritis. Wei Sheng Yen Chiu 41, 313–315.
62. Heidari, B, Hajian-Tilaki, K & Heidari, P (2012) The status of serum vitamin D in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis compared with controls. Rheumatol Int 32, 991–995.
63. Kostoglou-Athanassiou, I, Athanassiou, P, Lyraki, A et al. (2012) Vitamin D and rheumatoid arthritis. Ther Adv Endocrinol Metabol 3, 181–187.
64. Al-Jarallah, K, Shehab, D, Abraham, M et al. (2013) Musculoskeletal pain: should physicians test for vitamin D level? Int J Rheum Dis 16, 193–197.
65. Atwa, MA, Balata, MG, Hussein, AM et al. (2013) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration in patients with psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis and its association with disease activity and serum tumor necrosis factor-α. Saudi Med J 34, 806–813.
66. Azali, P, Barbasso Helmers, S, Kockum, I et al. (2013) Low serum levels of vitamin D in idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Ann Rheum Dis 72, 512–516.
67. Olama, SM, Senna, MK, Elarman, MM et al. (2013) Serum vitamin D level and bone mineral density in premenopausal Egyptian women with fibromyalgia. Rheumatol Int 33, 185–192.
68. Orgaz-Molina, J, Magro-Checa, C, Rosales-Alexander, JL et al. (2013) Association of 25-hydroxyvitamin D serum levels and metabolic parameters in psoriatic patients with and without arthritis. J Am Acad Dermatol 69, 938–946.
69. Rkain, H, Bouaddi, I, Ibrahimi, A et al. (2013) Relationship between vitamin D deficiency and chronic low back pain in postmenopausal women. Curr Rheumatol Rev 9, 63–67.
70. Yazmalar, L, Ediz, L, Alpayci, M et al. (2013) Seasonal disease activity and serum vitamin D levels in rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and osteoarthritis. Afr Health Sci 13, 47–55.
71. Baykara, B, Dilek, B, Nas, K et al. (2014) Vitamin D levels and related factors in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain. J Musculoskelet Pain 22, 160–169.
72. Celikbilek, A, Gocmen, AY, Zararsiz, G et al. (2014) Serum levels of vitamin D, vitamin D-binding protein and vitamin D receptor in migraine patients from central Anatolia region. Int J Clin Prac 68, 1272–1277.
73. Chen, J, Liu, W, Lin, Q et al. (2014) Vitamin D deficiency and low bone mineral density in native Chinese rheumatoid arthritis patients. Int J Rheum Dis 17, 66–70.
74. Cote, J, Berger, A, Kirchner, LH et al. (2014) Low vitamin D level is not associated with increased incidence of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int 34, 1475–1479.
75. Heidari, B, Heidari, P & Tilaki, KH (2014) Relationship between unexplained arthralgia and vitamin D deficiency: a case control study. Acta Med Iran 52, 400–405.
76. Hiraki, LT, Arkema, EV, Cui, J et al. (2014) Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology 53, 2243–2248.
77. Hong, Q, Xu, J, Xu, S et al. (2014) Associations between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and disease activity, inflammatory cytokines and bone loss in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology 53, 1994–2001.
78. Mateos, F, Valero, C, Olmos, JM et al. (2014) Bone mass and vitamin D levels in women with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Osteoporos Int 25, 525–533.
79. Sezgin Ozcan, D, Oken, O, Aras, M et al. (2014) Vitamin D levels in women with fibromyalgia and relationship between pain, depression, and sleep. Turk Fiz Tip Rehab D 60, 329–334.
80. Sharma, R, Saigal, R, Goyal, L et al. (2014) Estimation of vitamin D levels in rheumatoid arthritis patients and its correlation with the disease activity. J Assoc Physicians India 62, 678–681.
81. Zandifar, A, Masjedi, SS, Banihashemi, M et al. (2014) Vitamin D status in migraine patients: a case–control study. BioMed Res Int 2014, 514782.
82. Brance, ML, Brun, LR, Lioi, S et al. (2015) Vitamin D levels and bone mass in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int 35, 499–505.
83. Cen, X, Liu, Y, Yin, G et al. (2015) Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and rheumatoid arthritis. BioMed Res Int 2015, 913804.
84. Gullo, A, Mandraffino, G, Bagnato, G et al. (2015) Vitamin D status in rheumatoid arthritis: inflammation, arterial stiffness and circulating progenitor cell number. PLoS One 10, e0134602.
85. Lodh, M, Goswami, B, Mahajan, RD et al. (2015) Assessment of vitamin D status in patients of chronic low back pain of unknown etiology. Indian J Clin Biochem 30, 174–179.
86. Matsumoto, Y, Sugioka, Y, Tada, M et al. (2015) Relationships between serum 25-hydroxycalciferol, vitamin D intake and disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis – TOMORROW study. Mod Rheumatol 25, 246–250.
87. Park, YE, Kim, BH, Lee, SG et al. (2015) Vitamin D status of patients with early inflammatory arthritis. Clin Rheumatol 34, 239–246.
88. Petho, Z, Kulcsar-Jakab, E, Kalina, E et al. (2015) Vitamin D status in men with psoriatic arthritis: a case–control study. Osteoporos Int 26, 1965–1970.
89. Yagiz, AE, Ustun, N, Paksoy, H et al. (2015) Association of vitamin D with disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. J Clin Anal Med 6, 486–489.
90. Askari, A, Naghizadeh, MM, Homayounfar, R et al. (2016) Increased serum levels of IL-17A and IL-23 are associated with decreased vitamin D3 and increased pain in osteoarthritis. PLoS One 11, e0164757.
91. Elbassiony, SR, Tawhid, Z, Ahmad, HS et al. (2016) Serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels in Egyptian patients with rheumatoid arthritis: association with disease activity, functional disability and radiological damage. Egyptian Rheumatol 38, 133–139.
92. Gamal, RM, Gaber, W, Sayed, S et al. (2016) Vitamin D status in Egyptian patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Aktuelle Rheumatologie 41, 492–498.
93. Gheita, TA, Sayed, S, Gheita, HA et al. (2016) Vitamin D status in rheumatoid arthritis patients: relation to clinical manifestations, disease activity, quality of life and fibromyalgia syndrome. Int J Rheum Dis 19, 294–299.
94. Kasapoğlu Aksoy, M, Altan, L & Okmen Metin, B (2017) The relationship between balance and vitamin 25(OH)D in fibromyalgia patients. Mod Rheumatol 27, 868–874.
95. Liao, H, Pan, L, Ci, W et al. (2016) Clinical significance of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D in female patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 96, 181–184.
96. Maafi, AA, Ghavidel-Parsa, B, Haghdoost, A et al. (2016) Serum vitamin D status in Iranian fibromyalgia patients: according to the symptom severity and illness invalidation. Korean J Pain 29, 172–178.
97. Okyay, R, Kocyigit, BF & Gursoy, S (2016) Vitamin D levels in women with fibromyalgia and relationship between pain, tender point count and disease activity. Acta Med Mediterr 32, 243–247.
98. Thorneby, A, Nordeman, LM & Johanson, EH (2016) No association between level of vitamin D and chronic low back pain in Swedish primary care: a cross-sectional case–control study. Scand J Prim Health Care 34, 196–204.
99. Wang, Y, Zhang, F, Wang, S et al. (2016) Serum vitamin D level is inversely associated with anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody level and disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Arch Rheumatol 31, 64–70.
100. Yildirim, T, Solmaz, D, Akgol, G et al. (2016) Relationship between mean platelet volume and vitamin D deficiency in fibromyalgia. Biomed Res 27, 1265–1270.
101. Brennan-Speranza, TC, Mor, D, Mason, RS et al. (2017) Skeletal muscle vitamin D in patients with end stage osteoarthritis of the knee. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 173, 180–184.
102. Wong, TH, Gupta, ED, Radhakrishnan, AK et al. (2017) Effects of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and vitamin D-binding protein on bone mineral density and disease activity in Malaysian patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Int J Rheum Dis. Published online: 20 February 2017. doi: 10.1111/1756-185X.13048.
103. Laroche, F, Coste, J, Medkour, T et al. (2014) Classification of and risk factors for estrogen deprivation pain syndromes related to aromatase inhibitor treatments in women with breast cancer: a prospective multicenter cohort study. J Pain 15, 293–303.
104. Mergenhagen, K, Ott, M, Heckman, K et al. (2014) Low vitamin D as a risk factor for the development of myalgia in patients taking high-dose simvastatin: a retrospective review. Clin Ther 36, 770–777.
105. Shantha, GPS, Ramos, J, Thomas-Hemak, L et al. (2014) Association of vitamin D and incident statin induced myalgia – a retrospective cohort study. PLoS One 9, e88877.
106. Singer, O, Cigler, T, Moore, AB et al. (2014) Hypovitaminosis D is a predictor of aromatase inhibitor musculoskeletal symptoms. Breast J 20, 174–179.
107. Ovesjo, ML, Skilving, I, Bergman, P et al. (2016) Low vitamin D levels and genetic polymorphism in the vitamin D receptor are associated with increased risk of statin-induced myopathy. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 118, 214–218.
108. Calza, L, Magistrelli, E, Colangeli, V et al. (2017) Significant association between statin-associated myalgia and vitamin D deficiency among treated HIV-infected patients. AIDS 31, 681–688.
109. Deleskog, A, Hilding, A, Brismar, K et al. (2012) Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level predicts progression to type 2 diabetes in individuals with prediabetes but not with normal glucose tolerance. Diabetologia 55, 1668–1678.
110. Gagnon, C, Lu, ZX, Magliano, DJ et al. (2011) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, calcium intake, and risk of type 2 diabetes after 5 years: results from a national, population-based prospective study (the Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle study). Diabetes Care 34, 1133–1138.
111. Guyatt, GH, Oxman, AD, Vist, GE et al. (2008) GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 336, 924–926.
112. Bergman, P, Sperneder, S, Hoijer, J et al. (2015) Low vitamin D levels are associated with higher opioid dose in palliative cancer patients – results from an observational study in Sweden. PLoS One 10, e0128223.
113. Hawker, GA, Mian, S, Kendzerska, T et al. (2011) Measures of Adult Pain Visual Analog Scale for Pain (VAS Pain), Numeric Rating Scale for pain (NRS Pain), McGill Pain Questionnaire (MPQ), Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ), Chronic Pain Grade Scale (CPGS), Short Form-36 Bodily Pain Scale (SF-36 BPS), and Measure of Intermittent and Constant Osteoarthritis Pain (ICOAP). Arthrit Care Res (Hoboken) 63, Suppl. 11, S240–S252.