1. Expert Panel on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight in Adults (1998) Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: executive summary. Am J Clin Nutr 68, 899–917.
2. Goran, MI & Gower, BA (1999) Relation between visceral fat and disease risk in children and adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 70, Suppl. 1, 149S–156S.
3. Snijder, MB, Visser, M, Dekker, JM et al. (2002) The prediction of visceral fat by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in the elderly: a comparison with computed tomography and anthropometry. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 984–993.
4. Lee, SY & Gallagher, D (2008) Assessment methods in human body composition. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11, 566–572.
5. Mason, C, Craig, CL & Katzmarzyk, PT (2008) Influence of central and extremity circumferences on all-cause mortality in men and women. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 2690–2695.
6. Van Pelt, RE, Evans, EM, Schechtman, KB et al. (2001) Waist circumference vs body mass index for prediction of disease risk in postmenopausal women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 1183–1188.
7. Shen, W, Punyanitya, M, Chen, J et al. (2007) Visceral adipose tissue: relationships between single slice areas at different locations and obesity-related health risks. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 763–769.
8. Nakamura, Y, Turin, TC, Kita, Y et al. (2007) Associations of obesity measures with metabolic risk factors in a community-based population in Japan. Circ J 71, 776–781.
9. Park, S, Choi, S, Lee, K et al. (2009) Waist circumference and waist-to-height ratio as predictors of cardiovascular disease risk in Korean adults. Circ J 73, 1643–1650.
10. Sung, KC, Ryu, S & Reaven, GM (2007) Relationship between obesity and several cardiovascular disease risk factors in apparently healthy Korean individuals: comparison of body mass index and waist circumference. Metabolism 56, 297–303.
11. Taylor, AE, Ebrahim, S, Ben-Shlomo, Y et al. (2010) Comparison of the associations of body mass index and measures of central adiposity and fat mass with coronary heart disease, diabetes, and all-cause mortality: a study using data from 4 UK cohorts. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 547–556.
12. Christian, AH, Mochari, H & Mosca, LJ (2009) Waist circumference, body mass index, and their association with cardiometabolic and global risk. J Cardiometab Syndr 4, 12–19.
13. Gelber, RP, Gaziano, JM, Orav, EJ et al. (2008) Measures of obesity and cardiovascular risk among men and women. J Am Coll Cardiol 52, 605–615.
14. Schneider, HJ, Glaesmer, H, Klotsche, J et al. (2007) Accuracy of anthropometric indicators of obesity to predict cardiovascular risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92, 589–594.
15. Lee, CM, Huxley, RR, Wildman, RP et al. (2008) Indices of abdominal obesity are better discriminators of cardiovascular risk factors than BMI: a meta-analysis. J Clin Epidemiol 61, 646–653.
16. Can, AS, Bersot, TP & Gonen, M (2009) Anthropometric indices and their relationship with cardiometabolic risk factors in a sample of Turkish adults. Public Health Nutr 12, 538–546.
17. Mellati, AA, Mousavinasab, SN, Sokhanvar, S et al. (2009) Correlation of anthropometric indices with common cardiovascular risk factors in an urban adult population of Iran: data from Zanjan Healthy Heart Study. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 18, 217–225.
18. Ashwell, M, Cole, TJ & Dixon, AK (1996) Ratio of waist circumference to height is strong predictor of intra-abdominal fat. BMJ 313, 559–560.
19. Browning, LM, Hsieh, SD & Ashwell, M (2010) A systematic review of waist-to-height ratio as a screening tool for the prediction of cardiovascular disease and diabetes: 0·5 could be a suitable global boundary value. Nutr Res Rev 23, 247–269.
20. Zhou, Z, Hu, D & Chen, J (2009) Association between obesity indices and blood pressure or hypertension: which index is the best? Public Health Nutr 12, 1061–1071.
21. Esmaillzadeh, A, Mirmiran, P & Azizi, F (2004) Waist-to-hip ratio is a better screening measure for cardiovascular risk factors than other anthropometric indicators in Tehranian adult men. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 1325–1332.
22. Nyamdorj, R, Qiao, Q, Soderberg, S et al. (2009) BMI compared with central obesity indicators as a predictor of diabetes incidence in Mauritius. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 342–348.
23. Ashwell, M & Hsieh, SD (2005) Six reasons why the waist-to-height ratio is a rapid and effective global indicator for health risks of obesity and how its use could simplify the international public health message on obesity. Int J Food Sci Nutr 56, 303–307.
24. Ghandehari, H, Le, V, Kamal-Bahl, S et al. (2009) Abdominal obesity and the spectrum of global cardiometabolic risks in US adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 33, 239–248.
25. Cossio, S, Messiah, SE, Garibay-Nieto, N et al. (2009) How do different indices of obesity correlate with cardiometabolic disease risk factors in multiethnic youths? Endocr Pract 15, 403–409.
26. Neufeld, LM, Jones-Smith, JC, Garcia, R et al. (2008) Anthropometric predictors for the risk of chronic disease in non-diabetic, non-hypertensive young Mexican women. Public Health Nutr 11, 159–167.
27. Herrera, VM, Casas, JP, Miranda, JJ et al. (2009) Interethnic differences in the accuracy of anthropometric indicators of obesity in screening for high risk of coronary heart disease. Int J Obes (Lond) 33, 568–576.
28. Perez, CM, Guzman, M, Ortiz, AP et al. (2008) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Ethn Dis 18, 434–441.
29. Ortiz, AP, Suarez, E, Beauchamp, G et al. (2010) Correlates of the metabolic syndrome among a sample of women in the San Juan Metropolitan Area of Puerto Rico. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 8, 235–242.
30. National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (1998) Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report. NIH Publication no. 98-4083. Washington, DC: NIH.
31. World Health Organization (2000) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Technical Report Series no. 894. Geneva: WHO.
32. Qiao, Q & Nyamdorj, R (2010) The optimal cutoff values and their performance of waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio for diagnosing type II diabetes. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 23–29.
33. Hsieh, SD & Yoshinaga, H (1995) Waist/height ratio as a simple and useful predictor of coronary heart disease risk factors in women. Intern Med 34, 1147–1152.
34. Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (1997) The sixth report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Arch Intern Med 157, 2413–2446.
35. Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (2001) Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 285, 2486–2497.
36. World Health Organization Expert Committee on Physical Status (1995) The Use of Interpretation of Anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. Geneva: WHO.
37. American Diabetes Association (2004) Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 27, Suppl. 1, S5–S10.
38. Rexrode, KM, Carey, VJ, Hennekens, CH et al. (1998) Abdominal adiposity and coronary heart disease in women. JAMA 280, 1843–1848.
39. Rexrode, KM, Buring, JE & Manson, JE (2001) Abdominal and total adiposity and risk of coronary heart disease in men. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 1047–1056.
40. Folsom, AR, Kaye, SA, Sellers, TA et al. (1993) Body fat distribution and 5-year risk of death in older women. JAMA 269, 483–487.
41. de Koning, L, Merchant, AT, Pogue, J et al. (2007) Waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio as predictors of cardiovascular events: meta-regression analysis of prospective studies. Eur Heart J 28, 850–856.
42. Pischon, T, Boeing, H, Hoffmann, K et al. (2008) General and abdominal adiposity and risk of death in Europe. N Engl J Med 359, 2105–2120.
43. Deurenberg, P, Yap, M & van Staveren, WA (1998) Body mass index and percent body fat: a meta analysis among different ethnic groups. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 22, 1164–1171.
44. Shen, W, Punyanitya, M, Chen, J et al. (2006) Visceral adipose tissue: relationships between single slice areas at different locations and obesity-related health risks. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 763–769.
45. Kotsis, V, Stabouli, S, Papakatsika, S et al. (2010) Mechanisms of obesity-induced hypertension. Hypertens Res 33, 386–393.
46. Knowles, KM, Paiva, LL, Sanchez, SE et al. (2011) Waist circumference, body mass index, and other measures of adiposity in predicting cardiovascular disease risk factors among Peruvian adults. Int J Hypertens 2011, 931402.
47. Lopez-Alvarenga, JC, Montesinos-Cabrera, RA, Velazquez-Alva, C et al. (2003) Short stature is related to high body fat composition despite body mass index in a Mexican population. Arch Med Res 34, 137–140.
48. Despres, JP, Lemieux, I, Bergeron, J et al. (2008) Abdominal obesity and the metabolic syndrome: contribution to global cardiometabolic risk. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28, 1039–1049.