Skip to main content Accessibility help
×
Home

Are 24 h urinary sodium excretion and sodium:potassium independently associated with obesity in Chinese adults?

  • Zeng Ge (a1), Jiyu Zhang (a2), Xiaorong Chen (a1), Liuxia Yan (a1), Xiaolei Guo (a2), Zilong Lu (a2), Aiqiang Xu (a2) and Jixiang Ma (a1)...

Abstract

Objective

To examine the association of 24 h urinary Na excretion and Na:K with obesity in Chinese adults.

Design

Population-based cross-sectional study using a four-stage stratified sampling strategy.

Setting

Shandong Province, China.

Subjects

Chinese adults (n 1906) aged 18–69 years who provided complete 24 h urine samples.

Results

Odds of obesity increased significantly across increasing quartiles of urinary Na excretion (1·00, 1·54, 1·69 and 2·52, respectively, for overweight; 1·00, 1·20, 1·50, and 2·03, respectively, for obesity; 1·00, 1·44, 1·85 and 2·53, respectively, for abdominal obesity (assessed by waist circumference); and 1·00, 1·28, 1·44 and 1·75, respectively, for abdominal obesity (assessed by waist-to-height ratio); P for linear trend <0·001 for all). In addition, odds of abdominal obesity, but not odds of overweight and obesity, increased significantly with successive Na:K quartiles. Additionally, for each increment in urinary Na excretion of 100 mmol, odds of overweight, obesity, abdominal obesity (by waist circumference) and abdominal obesity (by waist-to-height ratio) increased significantly by 46 %, 39 %, 55 % and 33 %, respectively. Similarly, with a 1 sd increase in Na:K, odds of abdominal obesity (by waist circumference) and abdominal obesity (by waist-to-height ratio) increased significantly by 12 % and 15 %, respectively.

Conclusions

These findings suggest that 24 h urinary Na excretion and Na:K might be important risk factors for obesity in Chinese adults.

  • View HTML
    • Send article to Kindle

      To send this article to your Kindle, first ensure no-reply@cambridge.org is added to your Approved Personal Document E-mail List under your Personal Document Settings on the Manage Your Content and Devices page of your Amazon account. Then enter the ‘name’ part of your Kindle email address below. Find out more about sending to your Kindle. Find out more about sending to your Kindle.

      Note you can select to send to either the @free.kindle.com or @kindle.com variations. ‘@free.kindle.com’ emails are free but can only be sent to your device when it is connected to wi-fi. ‘@kindle.com’ emails can be delivered even when you are not connected to wi-fi, but note that service fees apply.

      Find out more about the Kindle Personal Document Service.

      Are 24 h urinary sodium excretion and sodium:potassium independently associated with obesity in Chinese adults?
      Available formats
      ×

      Send article to Dropbox

      To send this article to your Dropbox account, please select one or more formats and confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your <service> account. Find out more about sending content to Dropbox.

      Are 24 h urinary sodium excretion and sodium:potassium independently associated with obesity in Chinese adults?
      Available formats
      ×

      Send article to Google Drive

      To send this article to your Google Drive account, please select one or more formats and confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your <service> account. Find out more about sending content to Google Drive.

      Are 24 h urinary sodium excretion and sodium:potassium independently associated with obesity in Chinese adults?
      Available formats
      ×

Copyright

Corresponding author

* Corresponding author: Email majix@163.com

References

Hide All
1. Lim, SS, Vos, T, Flaxman, AD et al. (2012) A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380, 22242260.
2. Gu, D, He, J, Duan, X et al. (2006) Body weight and mortality among men and women in China. JAMA 295, 776783.
3. Wang, L (2005) Report of China National Nutrition and Health Survey in 2002. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House.
4. National Center for Chronic and Non-communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center Disease Control and Prevention (2012) Report on Chronic Disease Risk Factor Surveillance in China, 2010. Beijing: Military Medical Science Press.
5. Zhou, BF, Stamler, J, Dennis, B et al. (2003) Nutrient intakes of middle-aged men and women in China, Japan, United Kingdom, and United States in the late 1990s: the INTERMAP study. J Hum Hypertens 17, 623630.
6. O’Donnell, M, Mente, A, Rangarajan, S et al. (2014) Urinary sodium and potassium excretion, mortality, and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 371, 612623.
7. O’Donnell, MJ, Yusuf, S, Mente, A et al. (2011) Urinary sodium and potassium excretion and risk of cardiovascular events. JAMA 306, 22292238.
8. Ogna, A, Forni Ogna, V, Bochud, M et al. (2014) Prevalence of obesity and overweight and associated nutritional factors in a population-based Swiss sample: an opportunity to analyze the impact of three different European cultural roots. Eur J Nutr 53, 12811290.
9. Yoon, YS & Oh, SW (2013) Sodium density and obesity; the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007–2010. Eur J Clin Nutr 67, 141146.
10. Larsen, SC, Angquist, L, Sorensen, TI et al. (2013) 24h urinary sodium excretion and subsequent change in weight, waist circumference and body composition. PLoS One 8, e69689.
11. Woodruff, SJ, Fryer, K, Campbell, T et al. (2014) Associations among blood pressure, salt consumption and body weight status of students from south-western Ontario. Public Health Nutr 17, 11141119.
12. Navia, B, Aparicio, A, Perea, JM et al. (2014) Sodium intake may promote weight gain; results of the FANPE study in a representative sample of the adult Spanish population. Nutr Hosp 29, 12831289.
13. Jain, N, Minhajuddin, AT, Neeland, IJ et al. (2014) Association of urinary sodium-to-potassium ratio with obesity in a multiethnic cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 99, 992998.
14. Bi, Z (2013) Report on Baseline Data of Salt Intake, Hypertension Epidemic, and Economic Burden Research in Shandong Population: The SMASH Project. Shandong: Shan Dong Science and Technology Press.
15. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2003) Cigarette smoking-attributable morbidity – United States, 2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 52, 842844.
16. World Health Orgnization (2000) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 894. Geneva: WHO.
17. Bei-Fan, Z (2002) Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference for risk factors of certain related diseases in Chinese adults: study on optimal cut-off points of body mass index and waist circumference in Chinese adults. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 11, Suppl. 8, S685S693.
18. Alberti, KG & Zimmet, PZ (1998) Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation. Diabet Med 15, 539553.
19. Wildman, RP, Gu, D, Reynolds, K et al. (2005) Are waist circumference and body mass index independently associated with cardiovascular disease risk in Chinese adults? Am J Clin Nutr 82, 11951202.
20. Rhee, MY, Kim, JH, Kim, YS et al. (2014) High sodium intake in women with metabolic syndrome. Korean Circ J 44, 3036.
21. Raisanen, JP, Silaste, ML, Kesaniemi, YA et al. (2012) Increased daily sodium intake is an independent dietary indicator of the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged subjects. Ann Med 44, 627634.
22. Hoffmann, IS & Cubeddu, LX (2009) Salt and the metabolic syndrome. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19, 123128.
23. Hulthen, L, Aurell, M, Klingberg, S et al. (2010) Salt intake in young Swedish men. Public Health Nutr 13, 601605.
24. Baudrand, R, Campino, C, Carvajal, CA et al. (2014) High sodium intake is associated with increased glucocorticoid production, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 80, 677684.
25. He, FJ, Marrero, NM & MacGregor, GA (2008) Salt intake is related to soft drink consumption in children and adolescents: a link to obesity? Hypertension 51, 629634.
26. Michell, AR (1995) Drugs affecting sodium transport and sodium balance. In The Clinical Biology of Sodium: The Physiology and Pathophysiology of Sodium in Mammals, pp. 259279. Oxford: Pergamon Press.
27. Wang, J, Olendzki, BC, Wedick, NM et al. (2013) Challenges in sodium intake reduction and meal consumption patterns among participants with metabolic syndrome in a dietary trial. Nutr J 12, 163.
28. Oh, HY, Kim, MK, Lee, M et al. (2013) Macronutrient composition and sodium intake of diet are associated with risk of metabolic syndrome and hypertension in Korean women. PLoS One 8, e78088.

Keywords

Metrics

Altmetric attention score

Full text views

Total number of HTML views: 0
Total number of PDF views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

Abstract views

Total abstract views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

* Views captured on Cambridge Core between <date>. This data will be updated every 24 hours.

Usage data cannot currently be displayed