1. Grange, JT, Baumann, GW: The California 500: Medical care at a NASCAR Winston Cup Race event. Ann Emerg Med 1999;34(4):284. Abstract.
2. Levitin, HW: Providing care at mass gatherings. Lecture at the 1999 Scientific Assembly, American College of Emergency Physicians. 13 October 1999.
4. Thompson, JM, Savoia, G, Powell, G, Challis, EB, Law, P: Level of medical care required for mass gatherings: The XV Winter Olympic Games in Calgary, Canada. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20(4):385–390.
5. Franaszek, J: Medical care at mass gatherings. Ann Emerg Med 1986;15(5):600–601.
6. Nordberg, M: EMS and mass gatherings. Emerg Med Serv 1990;19(5):46–48,50–51,54,56,91.
7. Jaslow, D: Mass gathering medical care: A practice without standards. NAEA/ISP News 08 May 1999.
8. Jaslow, D, Yancy, A II, Milsten, A, for the National Association of EMS Physicians Standards and Clinical Practice Committee: Mass gathering medical care. Prehosp Emerg Care 2000;4:359–360.
9. DeLorenzo, RA: Mass gathering medicine: A review. Prehosp Disast Med 1997;12(1):68–72.
10. Michael, JA, Barbera, JA: Mass gathering medical care: A twenty-five year review. Prehosp Disast Med 1997;12(4):305–312.
11. Cummins, RO, Ornato, JP, Thies, WH, Pepe, PE: Improving survival from sudden cardiacarrest: The “chain-of-survival” concept. A statement for health professionals from the Advanced Cardiac Life Support Subcommittee and the Emergency Cardiac Care Committee, American Heart Association. Circulation 1991;83:1832–1847.
12. Mear, G, Batson, D: Mass gatherings. In: Tintinelli, JE, Ruiz, E, Krome, R (eds). Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, 4th ed, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1996. pp 26–29.
13. Grange, JT, Green, SM, Downs, W: Concert medicine: Spectrum of medical problems encountered at 405 major concerts. Acad Emerg Med 1999;6(2):202–207.
14. Baker, WM, Simone, BM, Niemann, JT, Daly, A: Special event medical care: The 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympic experience. Ann Emerg Med 1986;15(2):185–190.
15. Richards, R, Richards, D, Whittaker, R: Method of predicting the number of casualties in the Sydney City-to-Surf Fun Runs. Med J Aust 1984;141: 805–808.
16. Nardi, R, Bettini, M, Bozzoli, C: Emergency medical services in mass gatherings: The experience of the Formula 1 Grand Prix ‘San Marino’ in Imola. Eur J Emerg Med 1997;4(4):217–223.
17. Sexton, PA, Burns, RS, Lerner, SE: Sunshine '75: Rock medicine inside Diamond Head. Hawaii Med J 1975;34(8):271–275.
18. Ounanian, LL, Salinas, C, Shear, CL: Medical care at the 1982 US Festival. Ann Emerg Med 1986;15(5):520–527.
19. Flabouris, A, Bridgewater, F: An analysis of demand for first-aid care at a major public event. Prehosp Disast Med 1996;11(1):48–54.
20. Federman, JH, Giordano, LM: How to cope with a visit from the Pope. Prehosp Disast Med 1997;12(2):86–91.
21. Friedman, U, Rodi, SW, Krueger, MA, Votey, SR: Medical care at the California AIDS Ride 3: Experiences in event medicine. Ann Emerg Med 1998;31(2):219–223.
22. Milsten, AM, Bissell, RA, Seaman, KG, Maguire BJ. Mass gathering medical care: A review of the literature. Prehosp Disast Med 2002;18:151–162.
23. Chapman, KR, Carmichael, FJ, Goode, JE: Medical services for outdoor rock music festivals. Can Med Assoc J 1982;126:935–938.
24. Shelton, S, Haire, S, Gerard, B: Medical care for mass gatherings at collegiate football games. Southern Med J 1997;90(11):1081–1083.
25. Schlicht, J, Mitcheson, M, Henry, M: Medical aspects of large outdoor festivals. Lancet 1972;1:948–952.
26. Blandford, AG, Obst, CD, Dunlop, HA: Glastonbury Fair: Some medical aspects of a rock music festival. The Practitioner 1972;209:205–211.
27. Erickson, TB, Koenigsberg, M, Bunney, EB: Prehospital severity scoring at major rock concert events. Prehosp Disast Med 1996;12(3):195–199.
28. Foster, TM: EMS meets grunge: EMS coverage of Lollapalooza 1993. J Emerg Med Serv 1993;18(12):47–51,53.
29. Chambers, J, Guly, H: The impact of a music festival on local health services. Health Trends 1991;23(3):122–123.
30. Levens, LK, Durham, JE: Pop-music festivals: Some medical aspects. BMJ 1971;1:218–220.
31. Spaite, DW, Criss, EA, Valenzuela, TD, et al: A new model for providing prehospital medical care in large stadiums. Ann Emerg Med 1988;17:825–828.
32. Pons, PT, Holland, B, Alfrey, E, et al: An advanced emergency medical care system at National Football League games. Ann Emerg Med 1980;9(4): 203–206.
33. De Lorenzo, RA, Gray, BC, Bennett, PC, Lamparella, VJ: Effect of crowd size on patient volume at a large, multipurpose, indoor stadium. J Emerg Med 1989;7:379–384.
34. Boyle, MF, DeLorenzo, RA, Garrison, R: Physician integration into mass gathering medical care: The United States Air Show. Prehosp Disast Med 1993;8(2):165–168.
35. Weaver, WD, Sutherland, K, Wirkus, MJ, Bachman, R: Emergency medical care requirements for large public assemblies and a new strategy for managing cardiac arrest in this setting. Ann Emerg Med 1989;18(2):155–160.
36. Gannon, DM, Derse, AR, Bronkema, PJ, Primley, DM: The emergency care network of a ski marathon. Am J Sports Med 1985;13(5):316–320.
37. Binder, LS, Willoughby, PJ, Matkaitis, L: Development of a unique decentralized rapid-response capability and contingency mass-casualty field hospital for the 1996 Democratic National Convention. Prehosp Emerg Care 1997;1(4):238–245.
38. Whipkey, RR, Paris, PM, Stewart, RD: Emergency care for mass gatherings: Proper planning to improve outcome. Postgrad Med 1984;76(2):44,46–48, 51,54.
39. Janchar, T, Samaddar, R, Milzman, D: The impact of “mosh pits” on medical incidents at mass gatherings. Ann Emerg Med 1999;34(4):255. Abstract.
40. Leonard, RB: Information paper: Provision of Emergency Medical Care for Crowds. American College of Emergency Physicians, 1990.
41. Pons, PT: Providing care at mass gatherings. Lecture at the 1997 Scientific Assembly, American College of Emergency Physicians. 19 October 1997.
42. Leonard, RB: Medical support for mass gatherings. Emerg Med Clin Am 1996;14(2):383–397.
43. Farrow, RJ: Pop music festivals: A special medical problem. The Practitioner 1972;208:380–386.
44. James, SH, Calendrillo, B, Schnoll, SH: Medical and toxicolgical aspects of the Watkins Glen Rock Concert. J Forens Sci 1975;20:71–82.
45. Hewitt, S, Jarrett, L, Winter, B: Emergency medicine at a large rock festival. J Accid Emerg Med 1996;13:26–27.
46. Strauss, N: '69 or '99: A rock festival is a combustible mix. The New York Times 08 August 1999; section 2:1,3:1.
47. Schulte, D, Meade, DM: The papal chase: The Pope's visit: A “mass” gathering. Emerg Med Serv 1993; 22(11):46–49, 65–75, 79.
48. Simon, HK, Stegelman, M, Button, T: A prospective evaluation of pediatric emergencycare during the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia. Ped Emerg Care 1998; 14(1):1–3.
49. Come, L, Dhondt, E, Vincken, W, et al. Traumatic asphyxia following a crowd-crush disaster: The “Heizel Drama“ Ann Emerg Med 1986;15(5):652–653. Abstract.
50. Spaite, DW, Meislin, HW, Valenzuela, TD, Criss, EA, Smith, R, Nelson, A: Banning alcohol in a major college stadium: Impact on the incidence and patterns of injury and illness. J Am Coll Health 1990;39:125–128.